had huge fight with one of my prof. and... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cocoandcoconuts

New

had huge fight with one of my prof. and...

Post by cocoandcoconuts » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:45 pm

I had huge fight with my professor (prof B)...and I'm afraid one of professors who agreed to write my recommendation letter heard the fight (prof A)
I didn't mean to argue with the professor B but her attitude just made me so...upset.
After the fight I saw the professor A so asked her whether she heard our conversations and she said no and asked me what happened.
I think actually she heard it...because prof B and prof A's room are not that far and the doors were open. And that's why she asked me what happened, she might have wanted to give me opp. to explain myself.
I wanted to explain what happened to her and I was sure she would understand if I explained, but I had a class, so I just said nothing and left...
I really like prof A and I was her fav in her class, but when I saw her today her attitude was...a little different I think. Maybe she heard smt from prof B.
For some reason I felt other prof. (prof C)'s attitude was a little different too.
What should I do?...
Should I explain what happened in the fight to prof A?
It's already passed a couple of months so I feel it's kind of awkward to talk about it now...
If she heard the fight or heard smt about me from prof B I don't know whether she changed her impression about me.
If she didn't hear the fight I don't know it's nec. to talk about the fight...she may change her impression about me now.
I really like her and I'm sure she would write a good letter for me if she did not hear about the fight but now I don't know...should I ask another prof? but she is the best one...
Maybe it's not appropriate to ask what I should do here, but could you give me some advise or opinions about what you would do?

sorry for the messy sentences, I just feel so upset now and cant focus on study...

Thank you

BNA

Bronze

Re: had huge fight with one of my prof. and...

Post by BNA » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:51 pm

Go make things right with Prof B

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:52 pm

Idk what "prof B" did, but you should probably go apologize. Given the chance "prof A" heard the fight, you should go to prof A and "ask for advice" relating to the incident", while actually trying to demonstrate you can maturely handle a disagreement (which it doesn't really sound like you can, given you feel you shouldn't have gotten into the fight in the first place). Or just don't say anything. I doubt your prof would write a significantly worse rec, especially if they don't know the context of your "fight". Although I wasn't there..

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:00 pm

I would go apologize to prof B. I don't know the context, but I don't really see a situation in which you could get that upset at a professor and really be in the right (outside of sexual harassment or something like that).

There will be plenty of professors you don't agree with in law school. Vehemently disagreeing with them and getting upset will not make you more popular.
Last edited by dabigchina on Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:01 pm

cocoandcoconuts wrote:I had huge fight with my professor (prof B)...and I'm afraid one of professors who agreed to write my recommendation letter heard the fight (prof A)
I didn't mean to argue with the professor B but her attitude just made me so...upset.
After the fight I saw the professor A so asked her whether she heard our conversations and she said no and asked me what happened.
I think actually she heard it...because prof B and prof A's room are not that far and the doors were open. And that's why she asked me what happened, she might have wanted to give me opp. to explain myself.
I wanted to explain what happened to her and I was sure she would understand if I explained, but I had a class, so I just said nothing and left...
I really like prof A and I was her fav in her class, but when I saw her today her attitude was...a little different I think. Maybe she heard smt from prof B.
For some reason I felt other prof. (prof C)'s attitude was a little different too.
What should I do?...
It's already passed a couple of months so I feel it's kind of awkward to talk about it now...
If she heard the fight or heard smt about me from prof B I don't know whether she changed her impression about me.
If she didn't hear the fight I don't know it's nec. to talk about the fight...she may change her impression about me now.
I really like her and I'm sure she would write a good letter for me if she did not hear about the fight but now I don't know...should I ask another prof? but she is the best one...
Maybe it's not appropriate to ask what I should do here, but could you give me some advise or opinions about what you would do?

sorry for the messy sentences, I just feel so upset now and cant focus on study...

Thank you
lol i can't decide which part of this story i like better. sliding in that this happened months ago, but is still making you too upset to type; that you brought it up to the professor and then ran away; or not specifying about the "fight" which makes it almost certain you realize how poorly your behavior reflects on yourself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:06 pm

LeDique wrote:
cocoandcoconuts wrote:It's already passed a couple of months so I feel it's kind of awkward to talk about it now...
lol i can't decide which part of this story i like better. sliding in that this happened months ago, but is still making you too upset to type; that you brought it up to the professor and then ran away; or not specifying about the "fight" which makes it almost certain you realize how poorly your behavior reflects on yourself.
Totally missed the "months passed" part lol. Yeah it's over for you..

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:11 pm

What kind of a child gets in a fight with their professor
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cocoandcoconuts

New

Post by cocoandcoconuts » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:24 pm

:(

So I should just give up asking prof A to write a letter?
BC it was bfr the summer vacation, and I had smt to talk with my advisor and they were in the office (summer class I think?)
I was serious...
I didn't mean to fight with the prof, but everyone hates this prof...I didn't know why but through the conversation with her I found why everyone hates her...

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:36 pm

How the hell does someone get in a fight with a professor?

The professor is the little God of their course. Your job is literally just to absorb what they tell you the law is and then regurgitate it back exactly how they want you to do it. It isn't hard.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:44 pm

ok what was the argument about then

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:00 pm

Yeah OP, can you take some time to write a post that's a little more coherent? Really hard to figure out what you are saying.

cocoandcoconuts

New

Should I change prof to ask LOR? or should I not&explain what had happened?

Post by cocoandcoconuts » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:02 pm

She doesnt give lectures, literally, nothing.
She shows videos, tell us read text books, assign homework, but other than that, the class is mainly consists of watching videos and discussions.
And for those assignments, she does not give feedback or anything.
No grades on paper, no grades on presentations or any work done in the class.
And she just gave final grade.

I didn't understand why I got the grade she gave me.
I did all my best, spent the most time in the class because I was not sure what she is requiring in the class...
I even asked how I was doing or how I can improve. She said I was doing great. No other advice.
I didn't mean to argue with her, but just wanted to ask why I got the grade where I did bad and I can improve.
No advice there neither.
Then I mentioned in that case she should change the grade if she does not have any criteria...
And so on etc.

I'm sure I cannot get that high score on LSAT cuz I'm not good at tests, so grades are very important you know....
I know I shouldn't have fight with her, but from the pressure of studying for the test...I couldn't help I guess :(
I don't know what to do...

Changed the title...hope its better now?
Capitol_Idea wrote:How the hell does someone get in a fight with a professor?

The professor is the little God of their course. Your job is literally just to absorb what they tell you the law is and then regurgitate it back exactly how they want you to do it. It isn't hard.
LeDique wrote:ok what was the argument about then
Winter is Coming wrote:Yeah OP, can you take some time to write a post that's a little more coherent? Really hard to figure out what you are saying.

cocoandcoconuts

New

Should I change prof to ask LOR? or should I not&explain what had happened?

Post by cocoandcoconuts » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:04 pm

Wait..it doesnt seem it's changed...how can I change the title...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:19 pm

LeDique wrote:
cocoandcoconuts wrote:I had huge fight with my professor (prof B)...and I'm afraid one of professors who agreed to write my recommendation letter heard the fight (prof A)
What should I do?...

Thank you
Pretty sure OP was mad that a woman disagreed with him
Last edited by Nebby on Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Should I change prof to ask LOR? or should I not&explain what had happened?

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:20 pm

cocoandcoconuts wrote:She doesnt give lectures, literally, nothing.
She shows videos, tell us read text books, assign homework, but other than that, the class is mainly consists of watching videos and discussions.
And for those assignments, she does not give feedback or anything.
No grades on paper, no grades on presentations or any work done in the class.
And she just gave final grade.

I didn't understand why I got the grade she gave me.
I did all my best, spent the most time in the class because I was not sure what she is requiring in the class...
I even asked how I was doing or how I can improve. She said I was doing great. No other advice.
I didn't mean to argue with her, but just wanted to ask why I got the grade where I did bad and I can improve.
No advice there neither.
Then I mentioned in that case she should change the grade if she does not have any criteria...
And so on etc.

I'm sure I cannot get that high score on LSAT cuz I'm not good at tests, so grades are very important you know....
I know I shouldn't have fight with her, but from the pressure of studying for the test...I couldn't help I guess :(
I don't know what to do...

Changed the title...hope its better now?
Too much discussion and a lack of concrete feedback on your performance bothers you? Have fun in law school!

cocoandcoconuts

New

Post by cocoandcoconuts » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:26 pm

so are you saying in law school prof do not give grades or anything on students work? No exams neither? In this class there was no tests...
only watching videos and discussions, but on every class we had to submit 1-2 essays. but no comments or grades...is this normal? First time to had this kind of class so I dont know its normal in the US.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:28 pm

cocoandcoconuts wrote:so are you saying in law school prof do not give grades or anything on students work? No exams neither? In this class there was no tests...
only watching videos and discussions, but on every class we had to submit 1-2 essays. but no comments or grades...is this normal? First time to had this kind of class so I dont know its normal in the US.
It's normal in US

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cocoandcoconuts

New

Post by cocoandcoconuts » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:37 pm

I graduated one college in US but never had this kind of class...cannot believe its normal

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:42 pm

so let me see if i have this right. you got a poor grade in this class and loudly argued with the professor that you should have had a better grade. after this, you ask the recommender prof if she overheard it. she says no what are you talking about and you walk away. today – months later – you ran into recommender prof who you thought was being "a little different" towards you. so *now* you post about it on tls.

yeah you're going to have a great time in law school. and for whatever it's worth, i guarantee the grading professor told the recommender professor about a crazy student who argued about his grade. whether she included your name or identifying information, less certain.

cocoandcoconuts

New

Post by cocoandcoconuts » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:54 pm

Actually the grade is not that bad...and that's why she did not want to change the grade saying it's not bad or even good in her class.
I thought I should get as high grade as possible cuz I'm really not good at test taking...
I mean, if she has reasons why she gave me the grade, I would not say anything but accept it. But she does not explain anything. How can I improve in later class if I don't know where I did bad? I did all my best and dont know how I can do better

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:12 pm

Oh dear Zeus...

First of all, as others have already pointed out, this is pretty much exactly what you will get in all your 1L courses. So good luck with that.

Also, your GPA is far less important than your LSAT. So the idea that having a 0.05 point bump in your GPA would somehow offset a bad LSAT score is ludicrous. You need to focus on the test and less on arguing with professors for not giving you the grades you want instead of the grades you earn.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cocoandcoconuts

New

Post by cocoandcoconuts » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:31 pm

I mean I no longer argue with the prof B, as I said it happened a couple of months ago.
What I wanted to ask is whether I should ask prof A to write the letter..whether I should explain what happened the other day.
none answered my question so far...wanted to change the title cuz it seems the title misguides ppl but couldnt...
Last edited by cocoandcoconuts on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:31 pm

1) Your writing needs serious work.

2) You will likely struggle in law school given how much feedback you expect and apparent beliefs on how professors should grade students' work.

3) Maybe take a couple years and work a job before applying to law school? A little maturation might aid you in your studies.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:32 pm

Then I mentioned in that case she should change the grade if she does not have any criteria
Did you expect her to say "Oh you're right I'm an idiot" and then give you an A?
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:40 pm

You said you graduated from one US college already. Was that with a bachelor's? Because if so, none of these grades are going to count.

And you're almost certainly reading way too much into Prof A and Prof C's changed attitudes based on something they may or may not have overheard months ago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”