Attend T-14 With Disability or Defer? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hamiltoniana

New

Attend T-14 With Disability or Defer?

Post by hamiltoniana » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:28 pm

Hey all, I was recently diagnosed with dysautonomia, a disorder of the autonomic nervous system which presents with symptoms like dizziness, fatigue, GI problems, heat intolerance, and nausea. I just started treatment, but the treatment process can be unpredictable and the condition often gets worse before it gets better. I am currently deciding whether to accept a deferral for a year in order to better evaluate my treatment plan and learn to better live with the disease before putting my 1L grades on the line. There's not really any accommodation a school could offer that would be helpful: it's just a matter of deciding whether I can succeed while coping with this. Spending a lot of time going out with classmates and even networking at outdoor events is probably out the window for a while, at the very least. That being said, my primary interest is state-level PI, so my grades in the short term won't be as important as my summers, and I have no interest in DOJ Honors or clerking right now.

Does any one know of a person who has gone through law school with a similar situation? Any general thoughts or advice on attending with a disability like this? Appreciate anything any one can offer!

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Re: Attend T-14 With Disability or Defer?

Post by HonestAdvice » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:17 pm

hamiltoniana wrote:Hey all, I was recently diagnosed with dysautonomia, a disorder of the autonomic nervous system which presents with symptoms like dizziness, fatigue, GI problems, heat intolerance, and nausea. I just started treatment, but the treatment process can be unpredictable and the condition often gets worse before it gets better. I am currently deciding whether to accept a deferral for a year in order to better evaluate my treatment plan and learn to better live with the disease before putting my 1L grades on the line. There's not really any accommodation a school could offer that would be helpful: it's just a matter of deciding whether I can succeed while coping with this. Spending a lot of time going out with classmates and even networking at outdoor events is probably out the window for a while, at the very least. That being said, my primary interest is state-level PI, so my grades in the short term won't be as important as my summers, and I have no interest in DOJ Honors or clerking right now.

Does any one know of a person who has gone through law school with a similar situation? Any general thoughts or advice on attending with a disability like this? Appreciate anything any one can offer!
I'd rely on your doctor's recommendation. I went to school with someone who had just been diagnosed with a serious medical condition. I can't say what without outing them as it's not that common, and being diagnosed after adolescence is even less common. However, it didn't seem to impact them and they did well.

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Attend T-14 With Disability or Defer?

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:38 pm

You asked this the other day and people suggested you defer. I doubt you will get different answers now, and it's generally frowned upon to make duplicate posts.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”