International applying as a K-JD? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
historyengland95

New

International applying as a K-JD?

Post by historyengland95 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi,

I have a few questions about applying to law school as a UK national:

1. Am I right in thinking that a 3 year UK bachelors degree would be acceptable as equivalent to the US 4 year bachelors degree? I've heard conflicting answers to this, so some clarity would be useful.

2. (Linked to question 1) would it be ok to apply as a K-JD? The weighting of my degree is 1st year= 10%, 2nd year=30% and 3rd year=60%. I read that you need to have completed 75% of your degree by time of applying, and obviously
I would only have done 40%.

3. If not, what is the kind of thing that would be good to do in a gap year? I hope to graduate with a first class degree (LSAC superior) in History so could possibly get a job in government policy. Would this be good?

4. If I was able to apply as a K-JD, would a superior GPA rating and 170+ LSAT do the trick for HYS? I've got a few softs, but could anyone clarify what "soft" means?

Many thanks in advance!

SamuelDanforth

Bronze

Re: International applying as a K-JD?

Post by SamuelDanforth » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:26 pm

1. Yes

2. Hopefully someone else can answer this, as it must arise every year. I suspect the answer is that you can apply, although law schools may give your application a somewhat more sceptical look, as they'll be working off of predicted final grades. The 60% completed refers to credits or credit hours, which don't quite translate into the British degree system, at least in the institutions I'm familiar with. I assume you would be treated as if you are 2/3 of the way through, although again, I think you will be at a serious disadvantage, given that your final year exams hold most of your marks. However, this is just speculation, and someone who has applied from the UK should correct me if I'm way off.

3. Government policy would be fine. There there are four things one might try to accomplish: 1) Make money -- American law schools are expensive, and savings help, 2) Try another career so you can test how you like working in other jobs before you decide to be a lawyer, 3) Boost your resume for law school admissions -- work experience is something that many/some law schools value, although most aren't picky about what it is. Y/S/H may care slightly more, 4) Boost your resume for post-law school jobs -- certain jobs seem to provide a boost for firm hiring (consulting, banking, finance) or public interest work (related non-JD public interest work).

4. I doubt most of us have enough experience with UK applications to tell you your chances. Letters of recommendation will matter more for YSH than other places, as will writing sample and softs. So will quality of undergraduate institution (to some degree). I assume most people will tell you that Y/S aren't going to happen, unless you manage a 175+ on the LSAT, and even then you'll have to provide good letters of recommendation and a strong writing sample. Harvard is probably more likely if you can manage a 170+. Softs can mean all kinds of things, but include academic achievements, publications, work experience, athletic achievements, internships, etc. Basically they're the qualities that help separate the large numbers of applicants who fall into the general 3.7+ / 170+ range.

My question is why you are interested in an American law degree, rather than a conversion course? Do you %100 want to practice in the United States? What will an American law degree provide that a conversion course wouldn't, except large amounts of debt ($100,000-$200,000)?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”