LOR from a HS teacher? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bmathers

Silver

LOR from a HS teacher?

Post by bmathers » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:35 pm

I have a bit of an odd question. I have 2 LORs already in the system (1 from a college prof, 1 from a business client... being 6 years out from a major university, it's difficult even though I did have professional relationships with all of my profs). I was just chatting with one of my high school teachers, from 11 years ago, and was wondering how it would be viewed if I asked him to write a LOR? I haven't had him as a teacher for 11 years, but we've kept somewhat in touch (after my TBI, he was one of the teachers that home-schooled me for a few months too, so he knows me a bit better than the average teacher). I pretty much aced his class (Honors English 11), and he was trying to get me to be an English teacher back in the day.

Is that waaaaayyyy to long ago and insignificant? Would it just be weird to have a LOR from a high school teacher? What do you think?

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: LOR from a HS teacher?

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:42 pm

bmathers wrote:I have a bit of an odd question. I have 2 LORs already in the system (1 from a college prof, 1 from a business client... being 6 years out from a major university, it's difficult even though I did have professional relationships with all of my profs). I was just chatting with one of my high school teachers, from 11 years ago, and was wondering how it would be viewed if I asked him to write a LOR? I haven't had him as a teacher for 11 years, but we've kept somewhat in touch (after my TBI, he was one of the teachers that home-schooled me for a few months too, so he knows me a bit better than the average teacher). I pretty much aced his class (Honors English 11), and he was trying to get me to be an English teacher back in the day.

Is that waaaaayyyy to long ago and insignificant? Would it just be weird to have a LOR from a high school teacher? What do you think?
If you don't have another college prof or business person who knows you well, then I suppose it's better than nothing. But I'd ask the teacher to focus on your strong personal qualities. I don't think you want a letter emphasizing that you "aced" a high school class.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:52 pm

rpupkin wrote:
bmathers wrote:I have a bit of an odd question. I have 2 LORs already in the system (1 from a college prof, 1 from a business client... being 6 years out from a major university, it's difficult even though I did have professional relationships with all of my profs). I was just chatting with one of my high school teachers, from 11 years ago, and was wondering how it would be viewed if I asked him to write a LOR? I haven't had him as a teacher for 11 years, but we've kept somewhat in touch (after my TBI, he was one of the teachers that home-schooled me for a few months too, so he knows me a bit better than the average teacher). I pretty much aced his class (Honors English 11), and he was trying to get me to be an English teacher back in the day.

I don't think you want a letter emphasizing that you "aced" a high school class.
Absolutely agreed

benwyatt

Platinum

Post by benwyatt » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:52 am

I think you're probably better off with a more impersonal letter from another UG prof than with a letter from this teacher. If I were an adcomm, i'd wonder why you didn't have more professors willing to vouch for you. It probably wouldn't be an application killer but it might raise some suspicion. Reach out to professors whose classes you enjoyed/did well in. Send them a quick email reminding them who you are, telling them what you're doing, and offering to provide them with your resume, any papers you wrote for their class, and any other info they might find helpful.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:24 am

I think it would be a bit weird, unfortunately. High school is a much different academic environment from college, not mention that 11 years is a long time. I think going for a letter from an undergraduate professor, even if they don't know/remember you as well, is a safer bet. Like benwyatt mentioned, if you remind them who you are, when you took their class, what you're up to, and offer to send them your old classwork, at least one of them will probably bite. Professors tend to be pretty gracious about this kind of thing, so it definitely wouldn't hurt to ask.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”