Should I Retake? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HaveMercy

New

Should I Retake?

Post by HaveMercy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:45 am

Last edited by HaveMercy on Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Re: Should I Retake?

Post by 20170322 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:50 am

HaveMercy wrote:I have a 3.85GPA at top 20 public school, 166 LSAT, Latino (not URM). This was my first time taking the LSAT but my highest PT while studying was a 167, so I am relatively happy. Also, I am extremely involved on campus, wrote an honors, thesis, etc.

What chances do I have with these numbers to go T14, and if so, which ones do you think?

What was your score breakdown?

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:50 am

SweetTort wrote:
HaveMercy wrote:I have a 3.85GPA at top 20 public school, 166 LSAT, Latino (not URM). This was my first time taking the LSAT but my highest PT while studying was a 167, so I am relatively happy. Also, I am extremely involved on campus, wrote an honors, thesis, etc.

What chances do I have with these numbers to go T14, and if so, which ones do you think?

Also, for how long did you study and what methods did you use?

HaveMercy

New

Post by HaveMercy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:54 am

Last edited by HaveMercy on Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:03 pm

HaveMercy wrote:
SweetTort wrote:

I studied for a really long time, like 6 months I would say using TestMasters. I never get more than 1-2 wrong on LG, but LR ranges from 6-8 and RC 4-6

For June 16:
LG:0
LR: 6
RC: 4
LR: 7

Hmm... I mean, I would retake, because you have a single subject comprising 13/17 missed questions, meaning even a small improvement would lead to massive score gains.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HaveMercy

New

Post by HaveMercy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:41 pm

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:43 pm

HaveMercy wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
HaveMercy wrote:
SweetTort wrote:

I studied for a really long time, like 6 months I would say using TestMasters. I never get more than 1-2 wrong on LG, but LR ranges from 6-8 and RC 4-6

For June 16:
LG:0
LR: 6
RC: 4
LR: 7

Hmm... I mean, I would retake, because you have a single subject comprising 13/17 missed questions, meaning even a small improvement would lead to massive score gains.
Yeah, but do you think its better to apply early rather thank risk the retake? I'm just worried that maybe I don't improve and then I just went through all that toil to just apply later.

If you apply right after receiving your September score, you'll still have a very early app. Even a point bump would make it worth it.

lawpro82

New

Post by lawpro82 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:47 pm

How is Latino not URM?

T14 your best bet is Northwestern or Boalt

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:49 pm

Think of it this way: the difference between a 166 LSAT and a 170 LSAT could be worth $100k - $200K for you. Isn't that worth spending a few more weeks studying for a test?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HaveMercy

New

Post by HaveMercy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:51 pm

HaveMercy

New

Post by HaveMercy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:58 pm

Last edited by HaveMercy on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:04 pm

HaveMercy wrote:
rpupkin wrote: Think of it this way: the difference between a 166 LSAT and a 170 LSAT could be worth $100k - $200K for you. Isn't that worth spending a few more weeks studying for a test?
My dilemma is I feel like I hit my peak in regards to LR and don't know if I'll be able to improve that much. You're right though and if it were easy enough to think that if I study all that I'll automatically end up with a 170, i would 100% retake. I have some deciding to do.
Of course you cannot know with certainty that you'll improve. But it seems well worth the risk/investment, doesn't it? The only downside is the free time you would lose while studying for a few weeks during the summer, whereas the upside is huge.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:19 pm

HaveMercy wrote:
lawpro82 wrote:

How is Latino not URM?

I'm Cuban. Pretty sure that doesn't apply as URM :(
I'm pretty sure it does. Which changes the outcomes drastically.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:27 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
HaveMercy wrote:
lawpro82 wrote:

How is Latino not URM?

I think TLS conventional wisdom is that the only Latino/Hispanic URMs are Mexican-American and Puerto Rican.

HaveMercy

New

Post by HaveMercy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:34 pm

HaveMercy

New

Post by HaveMercy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:35 pm

Last edited by HaveMercy on Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawpro82

New

Post by lawpro82 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:42 pm

poptart123 wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:
HaveMercy wrote:
lawpro82 wrote:

How is Latino not URM?

I think TLS conventional wisdom is that the only Latino/Hispanic URMs are Mexican-American and Puerto Rican.
This is ridiculous. Why not Dominican? Guatemalan? Venezuelan? Peruvian? Panamanian? Nicaraguan?

Brown is brown when it comes to law school applications. Most people can't tell the difference between a Mexican and a Guatemalan just by looking at them (heck, I have a hard time and I'm Latino and bilingual), so brown itself is underrepresented, not a specific nationality that's represented.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:02 pm

lawpro82 wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:
HaveMercy wrote:
lawpro82 wrote:

How is Latino not URM?

This is ridiculous. Why not Dominican? Guatemalan? Venezuelan? Peruvian? Panamanian? Nicaraguan?

Brown is brown when it comes to law school applications. Most people can't tell the difference between a Mexican and a Guatemalan just by looking at them (heck, I have a hard time and I'm Latino and bilingual), so brown itself is underrepresented, not a specific nationality that's represented.
It may be ridiculous, but it's also conventional wisdom. Brown is brown is equivalent to saying that an Aboriginal in Australia is the same as an African from Nigeria is the same as an African American from Idaho. From what I understand is that Mexican-American and Puerto Rican are the only two with an enrollment low enough relative to a significant enough population in the US to be considered underrepresented.

lawpro82

New

Post by lawpro82 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:13 pm

poptart123 wrote:
lawpro82 wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:
HaveMercy wrote:
lawpro82 wrote:

How is Latino not URM?

He should still apply as Latino. He checked the box on the LSAT and LSAC that says Latino. If they wanna pull him aside during orientation and quiz him on his heritage, that's on them. But seeing as how there's no authority on point, and we live in a society that can't even define gender anymore, then do it, apply as Latino and the school that he matriculates will factor him in as URM in their statistics.

It may be ridiculous, but it's also conventional wisdom. Brown is brown is equivalent to saying that an Aboriginal in Australia is the same as an African from Nigeria is the same as an African American from Idaho. From what I understand is that Mexican-American and Puerto Rican are the only two with an enrollment low enough relative to a significant enough population in the US to be considered underrepresented.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”