Gap in resume Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Barack Obama 2.0

New

Gap in resume

Post by Barack Obama 2.0 » Mon May 30, 2016 5:21 pm

I graduated from university in May 2015 and spent the past year travelling and consequently, there is a gap in my resume, will this adversely affect my chances for law school admissions? I plan on applying for law school in the fall and have a job for this upcoming year starting in September. I recently got back from overseas and am currently studying for the LSAT. On the advice of a friend, I took the June 2007 LSAT before I started prepping to gauge any areas of potential weakness/strength and scored a 163, however, I'm aiming for a 180. I intend on writing in September. I plan on applying to all the T-14 schools but really want HYS.

Stats:
URM (AA male)
LSDAS GPA: 4.0+
Softs: some work and several ECs during UG, several scholarships, and other academic related awards
LSAT: TBD
Interesting and eclectic resume.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Gap in resume

Post by TLSModBot » Mon May 30, 2016 5:43 pm

Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:however, I'm aiming for a 180.
First of all, lol @ this (what the hell else do you aim for when taking the LSAT)?

Second, experience post-UG matters far less than LSAT, GPA, and URM status (and roughly in that order). None of your other stuff (eclectic resume etc.) really matters.

A gap year won't hurt you if you have a strong LSAT score, but it won't help you if you have a weak one (and neither would most jobs you could've had instead of that gap time).

Barack Obama 2.0

New

Post by Barack Obama 2.0 » Mon May 30, 2016 5:48 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:however, I'm aiming for a 180.
First of all, lol @ this (what the hell else do you aim for when taking the LSAT)?

Second, experience post-UG matters far less than LSAT, GPA, and URM status (and roughly in that order). None of your other stuff (eclectic resume etc.) really matters.

A gap year won't hurt you if you have a strong LSAT score, but it won't help you if you have a weak one (and neither would most jobs you could've had instead of that gap time).
Given that only 0.1 of test takers score that, you'd be surprised at the amount of people with defeatist attitudes that don't even think of trying to attain scores near the 99th percentile. Statistically speaking it's not likely I'll get a 180. I was simply trying to convey that despite scoring fairly well on a cold diagnostic, I was going to keep working to do as well as I can and get a perfect score if possible. Anyways, thanks for the insight!

Danny Mothers

Bronze

Post by Danny Mothers » Mon May 30, 2016 5:55 pm

I think the gap will give you more trouble with employers once you're looking for summer and post-grad jobs. But even then travel and LSAT study will be good enough excuses.

Law schools will see 4.0/180 with URM and look no further, I promise you. You're auto admit everywhere if you can get 170+.

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Mon May 30, 2016 6:02 pm

They won't care

magicmagic

New

Post by magicmagic » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:07 pm

Danny Mothers wrote: Law schools will see 4.0/180 with URM and look no further, I promise you. You're auto admit everywhere if you can get 170+.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”