Them Fee Waiverz Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
acz26

Bronze

Them Fee Waiverz

Post by acz26 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:00 pm

Anyone know what stats one typically needs to get fee waivers from schools like Columbia, NYU, and Penn? Asking for a friend (aka my seething father post-hearing application expenses)

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Re: Them Fee Waiverz

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Tue May 17, 2016 10:55 pm

I'm not sure about the statistics, but it never hurts to ask. Something weird that happened in my case was that I asked both NYU and Columbia for fee waivers (around September), got denied, then received fee waivers from both of them in the next couple of months. I don't know if they had me on lower priority and were waiting until later in the cycle to offer me the waivers, or if it was just an oversight. I feel like it was the latter, but I really have no idea.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue May 17, 2016 11:57 pm

I don't have an answer for you, but schools send out fee waivers to people with low numbers just so the schools can deny them and raise their selectivity for rankings purposes.

Other than that tidbit, I'm not sure. Maybe go digging in the old applicant threads if you really care.

magicmagic

New

Post by magicmagic » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:18 am

Not sure where the cutoff is (if there is one), but I got NYU/Penn/Chicago waivers literally the day after my 170 score release. But yeah, they also send tons to people they just want to reject. So don't overthink a waiver...just enjoy it if it happens. :)

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:02 am

Also, some tricks for fee waivers:

If you're poor (I mean actually poor, not "OMG, I'm too broke to buy my favorite brand of pinot grigio this weekend," poor), apply for an LSAC fee waiver.

If you're interested in T14 fee waivers, see about attending an LAWS event (assuming you live near to a major city). I went, and a few of the schools offered a fee waiver just for attending and/or filling out a card with my contact info.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”