Why you should consider retaking (ITT: stories about retaking and improved outcomes) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JGMotorsport

New

Re: Why you should consider retaking (ITT: stories about retaking and improved outcomes)

Post by JGMotorsport » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:25 am

First time I took it:158

Applied only to one law school, got waitlisted and dinged

Took it again in the fall with the help of Testmasters in the fall test, got 155. Pressed onward with the next application cycle anyway. Applied to various 20-70 schools in my region and a few near family.

Got into about 7 of the 11 applied for quickly with no scholarships.

Took again in Spring got a 165 and was let into almost anywhere I wanted at that point. Was also given easy money.

But this was at the peak of the LS crash.

I attend a T25 right now. I have modest goals and significant ties to my market and region. I'm doin alright I'd probably do it again.

onecard

New

Re: Why you should consider retaking (ITT: stories about retaking and improved outcomes)

Post by onecard » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:21 pm

Anyone have some advice for me? I am K-JD and have a 3.78/173 (one take). I was advised against re-taking because at the time I was thinking U Penn was my top choice. After visiting Harvard last week, I have changed my mind and would really like to attend there. Was looking to go after UG but can also work a year if necessary. I will take Dec. LSAT, I think I can improve. Scholarship $$ not necessary. I have my app stuff ready. I would not want to wait more than one year.

My choices:
1) Work a year and apply next cycle
2) Apply early in cycle to Harvard only and see what happens. If if WL or denied apply again next cycle, with the other schools on my list
3) Apply everywhere this year and if I don't get Harvard do the whole thing again next year

I will def wait one year to give Harvard a full chance, so applying to other schools like U Penn and then turning them down (if admitted) when I may need them next year would not seem like a good idea to me.

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:26 pm

benwyatt wrote:ITT: people share their application outcomes pre/post retake.

Two cycles ago: I applied with a 3.3/169 and got either rejected or waitlisted everywhere except GW with $60K and CU Boulder (with a scholly I don't remember). Was trying to claw a spot at GULC at sticker from the WL.

Now: I applied with a 3.3/174 and was accepted at Columbia ($70K) (Rejected previously), UVA (WL previously), Duke ($75K) (WL previously), Michigan (WL previously), GULC ($90K) (WL previously), and WUSTL (Full Tuition) (Did not apply first time). Waitlisted at several other T-14s but decided not to ride because I was happy with Columbia.

I can't attribute it all to the retake since my apps were submitted earlier and my PS was stronger, but there's no denying the impact of the retake on these outcomes.
Whoa. How did you make that jump from 169 to 174? Definitely not an easy one.

benwyatt

Platinum

Post by benwyatt » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:41 pm

HYPSM wrote:
Whoa. How did you make that jump from 169 to 174? Definitely not an easy one.
I just set aside more time to practice. I was working two jobs and going to school the first time around which was not a recipe for success.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:15 pm

I didn't have a huge amount of free time to study but I went insane and spent every non-work waking moment practicing for about a month and a half. I improved 7 points and got a great scholarship to UChi (my GPA is mad low for them).

The first time I applied I was looking at the same size scholarship...to Cardozo.
Last edited by landshoes on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:10 pm

Love this thread; I'm retaking this fall, and hopefully I'll be able to join ya'll in sharing a good story :D

Specter1389

Bronze

Post by Specter1389 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:16 am

3.0 GPA from a service academy.

First time I took a diagnostic test, I scored a 154. After 2 months of studying, I took the June 2015 exam and scored a 166. I applied to a few T-14s, but with my GPA did not think a T-14 was likely even if I broke into the 170s, let alone a scholarship. Therefore I originally only applied to 3 (Georgetown, Northwestern, and Virginia). I figured it was far more likely that I would end up at the University of Florida which is a result I would have been content with. At the start of the cycle, UVA contacted me and encouraged me to retake before they made a decision on my application. Georgetown and Northwestern both waitlisted me while UF offered me a 25% scholarship.

I signed up for the December test and when scores came out in January I had a 170. I received an e-mail from UVA the day after scores came out and was accepted. Georgetown pulled me off the waitlist and offered me a spot in the class and a $75k scholarship and UF increased their scholarship offer to 85%. I then applied to the rest of the T-14 but was waitlisted to most and denied at a few others(I think part of this may be due to applying so late in the cycle).

Ultimately, I ended up deferring my admission to Virginia until I finish my military commitment. I will receive 60% of the G.I. Bill which works out to around a $125k scholarship when all the benefits are factored in. I've thought about retaking a third time, but I'm not sure it would make any difference since I am already committed to Virginia where 60% of the G.I. Bill goes the furthest in the T-14 (along with Michigan and Berkeley). I'm very grateful they encouraged me to retake and held off on making a decision until then.
Last edited by Specter1389 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

CHyde

Bronze

Post by CHyde » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:45 am

Last edited by CHyde on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pipipipi

Bronze

Post by pipipipi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:36 am

Seriously, I LOVE this post. Thank you everyone for telling your stories.
I had two 168 2015 and didn't apply last cycle, still haven't made up my mind to retake this year.
My plan is to apply now and get everything done before late Oct, and then re-study for the LSAT and maybe retake in Dec or Feb and hopefully get a 170+

I didn't want to retake now because honestly I don't know my chances of scoring 170+ higher and didn't want studying for lsat took up my time for application. I am not good at studying for long period and even I constantly scored 172+ on PTs, I did poorly on the test day.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:39 am

Bump because new cycle and the waiters in the September thread look like they're on the fringes of sanity.

earldasquirel

New

Post by earldasquirel » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:31 pm

Taking my last retake in december, using this thread as motivation! Lots of good stories here.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:14 am

If anyone wants to read up on my retake story look here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4#p9425884

Seriously guys, I know some people on this forum might seem like overbearing geniuses who started out PT'ing 175 but that is, by far, not true.

The test is learn-able and with the right determination you can get your score up!

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:25 pm

My first cycle, I struck out of the T14. I re-took and got only one point higher, but I got into four of the T14 with scholarships. I now go to my dream school in my hometown with a 1/2 tuition scholarship. Even a one point increase can make a world of difference!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LawschoolHopeful2k16

New

Post by LawschoolHopeful2k16 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:06 am

I'm going to be a Debbie Downer and just remind everyone that, while even just a couple points higher on the LSAT can open the door to a lot more schools, keep in mind that an increase in score isn't guaranteed and don't sacrifice too much to study.

Source: I did about 30 practice tests before take one, 30 before take 2 and 40 before take 3. My practice test average was about 6 points higher for the last test than the first, took the test in better conditions etc. But I went down a point from take 1 to 2, and then on try 3 I scored only 1 point higher than my first take.

So keep that in mind when weighing how many hundreds of hours to study.

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:26 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masterz

New

Post by masterz » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:11 pm

2 years ago I applied with my 3rd take (165) and got into GW. For various reasons, I decided to postpone my law school plan. This year I took it another 2 times and finally got a 170 on my 5th take in September. I just got accepted to NW's ED yesterday.

Although I feel I should point out that my score kept going up every time I retook. And I am a foreign native and went to college outside of US, if it helps.

Anyways, please DON'T give up on your LSAT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”