Taking an LSAT with expectation of canceling? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lsatrecycles

New

Taking an LSAT with expectation of canceling?

Post by lsatrecycles » Wed May 04, 2016 11:31 pm

Say I have a 172 and I know I can do better in September, but I'm not absolutely sure that I will. If I take the test and don't feel terrific about it, can I cancel the score without worrying about how that looks? I know that schools overwhelmingly care about the top LSAT score but how would a T3 or T6 view (172) vs. (172 and a 169) vs. (172 and a cancel)?

Let's assume GPA is 3.8+

Dcc617

Gold

Re: Taking an LSAT with expectation of canceling?

Post by Dcc617 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:33 pm

lsatrecycles wrote:Say I have a 172 and I know I can do better in September, but I'm not absolutely sure that I will. If I take the test and don't feel terrific about it, can I cancel the score without worrying about how that looks? I know that schools overwhelmingly care about the top LSAT score but how would a T3 or T6 view (172) vs. (172 and a 169) vs. (172 and a cancel)?

Let's assume GPA is 3.8+
As far as I know it's only the top score that matters. At least at most schools. So there is no point in canceling unless you are sure that you absolutely bombed it.

lsatrecycles

New

Post by lsatrecycles » Wed May 04, 2016 11:40 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
lsatrecycles wrote:Say I have a 172 and I know I can do better in September, but I'm not absolutely sure that I will. If I take the test and don't feel terrific about it, can I cancel the score without worrying about how that looks? I know that schools overwhelmingly care about the top LSAT score but how would a T3 or T6 view (172) vs. (172 and a 169) vs. (172 and a cancel)?

Let's assume GPA is 3.8+
As far as I know it's only the top score that matters. At least at most schools. So there is no point in canceling unless you are sure that you absolutely bombed it.
Thanks for the reply! I do understand the focus on the top score at "most schools" but I'm really only talking about the very top schools. It's my feeling that Harvard would prefer a one-take 173 to (173 and 167) but what I'm wondering is what a (173 and cancel) might look like given there are so many possible reasons that a test-taker would cancel his score. I'm assuming its held against an applicant even less than a lower score, maybe to the point of seeming invisible to adcoms. But I'm curious if others have any insight.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:47 pm

lsatrecycles wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:

Let's assume GPA is 3.8+
Thanks for the reply! I do understand the focus on the top score at "most schools" but I'm really only talking about the very top schools. It's my feeling that Harvard would prefer a one-take 173 to (173 and 167) but what I'm wondering is what a (173 and cancel) might look like given there are so many possible reasons that a test-taker would cancel his score. I'm assuming its held against an applicant even less than a lower score, maybe to the point of seeming invisible to adcoms. But I'm curious if others have any insight.
I got into top schools with a 165/176 and 3.7. I don't think the 165 had any effect at all.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu May 05, 2016 12:08 am

I would just wait until you're confident and ready.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:11 am

You should take it and then if your score isn't where you want it, then retake.

But if your dead set on only taking it once, I think it could be beneficial to take the June and cancel. There is nothing like taking the real LSAT and going through that experience. So knowing exactly what that experience is like could be helpful in September.

LandMermaid

Bronze

Post by LandMermaid » Thu May 05, 2016 10:01 am

lsatrecycles wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:

Let's assume GPA is 3.8+
I don't think your feeling is justified in any way. If you look at the Harvard thread there are plenty of people who had one or even two lower scores and were fine.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Thu May 05, 2016 10:14 am

I did this and regretted it FWIW. I came out alright, but wish I had one more take.

lsatrecycles

New

Post by lsatrecycles » Thu May 05, 2016 9:15 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:You should take it and then if your score isn't where you want it, then retake.

But if your dead set on only taking it once, I think it could be beneficial to take the June and cancel. There is nothing like taking the real LSAT and going through that experience. So knowing exactly what that experience is like could be helpful in September.
Sorry I should've been clearer! I already took it in February and got a terrific score that is nevertheless below my practice test range. I'm wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of retaking in September with the knowledge that I can cancel if something goes awry. Target is T3 because why not try.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu May 05, 2016 9:24 pm

Cw is that yale frowns on multiple LSATs, but who knows if that's really a factor when it comes to actual decisions.

More power to you though. I wouldn't cancel June though unless you seriously know you bombed it. I would hate for you to cancel a higher score on a mere hunch.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”