telling school you're admitted to that you want to reapply with a higher score for more $ Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
imperspective

New

telling school you're admitted to that you want to reapply with a higher score for more $

Post by imperspective » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:11 pm

The subject says it all.

I have 170 and >3.95. I want to retake to 175 and reapply in a year. The school is Chicago, and their deposit deadline is the 29th.

I have a 10k per year scholarship, but the total COA would be at least 225k. I would have negotiated for a higher scholarship, but I got waitlisted at schools I had expected $$$ from.

What should I do in order to preserve my good name in the eyes of Chicago, so that I don't dash my chances for a possible future Ruby?

Note: I applied two years ago with 162 and got waitlisted but withdrew.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: telling school you're admitted to that you want to reapply with a higher score for more $

Post by TLSModBot » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:20 pm

Tell them exactly that - you're withdrawing and not going anywhere because you think you can do better on the LSAT and will sit out a cycle. People do this all the time.

I would probably leave out "I want more money gimme gimme gimme" but it's kind of implied that if you are a more attractive candidate then you will need more wooing to grace Chicago's halls.

zot1

Gold

Re: telling school you're admitted to that you want to reapply with a higher score for more $

Post by zot1 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:33 am

Could you ask for a deferral and then just retake? That way if you somehow underperform, you at least have an acceptance to work with.

imperspective

New

Post by imperspective » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:27 pm

zot1 wrote:Could you ask for a deferral and then just retake? That way if you somehow underperform, you at least have an acceptance to work with.
Wouldn't that limit my ability to apply for other schools next time around? And anyway, it would have to be a two year deferral, as I don't think I'm in shape to take the test in the short term.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:31 pm

Don't even tell them. PM me. I didn't tell any of the schools, retook, did exactly what you did and got in from being rejected immediately. I know yours will be a different cycle, but no need to explain. Just get a higher score and no-one will care about earlier.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”