Reapply Next Cycle? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Nickyashley94

New

Reapply Next Cycle?

Post by Nickyashley94 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:09 am

Hello everyone!

I am graduating with a dual degree in Sociology and Criminal Justice this May. I have a 3.94 GPA and a 159 LSAT. I'm mostly interested in working as a DA/Public Defender (or real estate law- don't ask me why, but it interests me for some reason). I also live in the Hudson Valley of NY, and I'd ultimately like to end up working in this area in a small law firm (I have ZERO interest in Big Law).

I applied at the end of March, it was a last minute decision. I was accepted to three of the schools I applied to (Penn State, Brooklyn, Buffalo), and am still waiting on three more (Uconn, Fordham, St. John's). I didn't apply to any T1's... But I received a full tuition scholarship at Penn State and a very good scholarship at Brooklyn Law. Today, Penn's seat deposit is due.. And I'm really questioning whether I should retake the LSAT in June or October and reapply to better schools next cycle pending a better LSAT score.

I'm worried about getting a job in NY if I go to Penn State, and I'm worried that if I withdraw I won't get as good of a scholarship again..

What should I do?

njkga

Bronze

Re: Reapply Next Cycle?

Post by njkga » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:56 am

Nickyashley94 wrote:Hello everyone!

I am graduating with a dual degree in Sociology and Criminal Justice this May. I have a 3.94 GPA and a 159 LSAT. I'm mostly interested in working as a DA/Public Defender (or real estate law- don't ask me why, but it interests me for some reason). I also live in the Hudson Valley of NY, and I'd ultimately like to end up working in this area in a small law firm (I have ZERO interest in Big Law).

I applied at the end of March, it was a last minute decision. I was accepted to three of the schools I applied to (Penn State, Brooklyn, Buffalo), and am still waiting on three more (Uconn, Fordham, St. John's). I didn't apply to any T1's... But I received a full tuition scholarship at Penn State and a very good scholarship at Brooklyn Law. Today, Penn's seat deposit is due.. And I'm really questioning whether I should retake the LSAT in June or October and reapply to better schools next cycle pending a better LSAT score.

I'm worried about getting a job in NY if I go to Penn State, and I'm worried that if I withdraw I won't get as good of a scholarship again..

What should I do?
Why wouldn't you get as good of a scholarship again? Applying earlier in the cycle = better and more likely to get scholarships even if your LSAT stayed the same.

But it's not going to stay the same, because you're gonna take it again, and you're gonna study your ass off, and you're gonna kill it. And then you're gonna reapply next cycle and you'll be in a much better position than you are now. With that GPA + 168 or better LSAT you start seeing dollar signs at t14 schools and full rides at T1 schools. Don't waste that GPA. Go kill the LSAT. Reapply. Good luck.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:39 pm

Your GPA is great, don't waste it with a 159. You should definitely reapply next cycle but with a new LSAT score that is much higher than a 159.. You say that you are worried about getting a job in NY from Penn State, but Brooklyn Law grads are having an even tougher time nailing a job in NY.

Abraham Lincoln Uni.

Bronze

Post by Abraham Lincoln Uni. » Tue May 03, 2016 5:14 pm

If you are in no rush to attend law school at the moment and you are not 100% committed to any of the law schools you were admitted to, you may take the LSAT again, obtain a higher score, and re-apply. You have a strong GPA and if you can improve your LSAT score, you can expand your options and potentially have more scholarship offers at universities in New York, which is where you would like to practice.

In terms of legal practice, it all depends on you passing the bar, having a strong resume, and professional demeanor in interviews. It also depends on what area of law you want to practice in as some sectors are not as impacted as others, especially in New York.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”