Future Law student inquiry Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
popefreedom

New

Future Law student inquiry

Post by popefreedom » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:16 pm

So for undergrad, I got into Boston College, but Cornell's Industrial Labor Relations (ILR; private) has offered me a guarantee transfer my sophomore year in college. Many people have said it's all about your GPA + your undergrad doesn't matter one bit -- a 4.0 at say Fordham is better than a 3.6 at say Cornell. I know I am very early in the process, but I want to get started asap.
So if BC is really easy for me should I just stay there? Is transferring to Cornell ILR better for me? Anyone know about Cornell ILR or BC and know if it is rather moderately easy to earn a 3.8~4.0? Also, I am a Spaniard, so it falls in the Hispanic demographic, but I doubt it means anything for Law admissions.

zot1

Gold

Re: Future Law student inquiry

Post by zot1 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:30 pm

You're overthinking this. Go to the school you want to go to.

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:36 pm

Others may disagree, but IMHO ... don't make this decision based on what will be better for your law school admissions chances. I originally wrote a long thing, but that's really the bottom line. Go to the undergrad you want to go to the most and get the best grades you can.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:53 pm

cbbinnyc wrote:Others may disagree, but IMHO ... don't make this decision based on what will be better for your law school admissions chances. I originally wrote a long thing, but that's really the bottom line. Go to the undergrad you want to go to the most and get the best grades you can.

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:01 pm

Labor relations is a great field for lawyers if you can get a job in it. Go to school for that. Maybe get work experience after college and then apply to law school if it will benefit you in your job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:34 pm

Are you paying for college yourself? Usually transfers don't get scholarships, so transferring could entail a significant financial burden. If you're planning on going to law school too, you don't want a significant financial burden from college (if you can avoid it).

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:12 pm

Overthinking this, but Cornell is pretty hard GPA-wise. You may not even want to be a lawyer in 4+ years though and a Cornell education might serve you better.

I'd go wherever is cheaper. Minimize undergrad debt.

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:53 pm

I transferred from a decent but low ranked school to one of the top engineering schools in the country. The level of difficulty skyrocketed. The school's name helped me a ton with jobs and got me a full ride to grad school internationally. I learned more than I could have if I stayed at the lower ranked school. I am happy I did the move.

That being said, I was an engineer. You are not even close to graduating yet. My law school decision came AFTER i was working in industry for a while. There is no guarantee you would want to go into law. Plus, you may have a ton of undergrad debt. Luckily my parents helped out a lot and I made good pay out of college.

I can tell you this: you dont want to go straight into law school with lots of UG debt. It will only accumulate more interest on top of the crazy loans you will need when you go to law school.

Go to the school that makes you happy. If law school is your goal and if staying at BC would drive you insane then transfer. I felt unchallenged in my first UG institution so I transferred. Dont make the choice based on a better shot at law school because of name recognition. Honestly, a 4.0 beats a 3.6 99% of the time. If I had 0.2 higher in my GPA i would have a vastly different cycle. Besides...BC is not middle northwestern county state's satellite campus. Cornell may give you more recognition but a 4.0 still wins, and if it is as easy as you say it is then you can devote more time for the LSAT and get your full ride to yale.

It isnt where you start, its all about where you end up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”