Volunteering at a Library Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zeglo

Silver

Volunteering at a Library

Post by zeglo » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:26 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Volunteering at a Library

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:46 pm

List it on your resume with all other extracurriculars and volunteer stuff. I wouldn't talk about it in your personal statement unless there's a larger story beyond "I spend 2 hours/wk reshelving books." As volunteer gigs go, it's pretty unimpressive and probably just serves to check the (virtual) box. No offense.

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:33 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chillindude829

New

Post by chillindude829 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:11 pm

zeglo wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts. I know it's unimpressive - that's why I am asking. I was also the president and treasurer, etc. of major organizations.

Just was curious! My resume already jammed with work experience as it is :D
If that's true, why bother mentioning the library gig at all?

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:21 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:02 pm

zeglo wrote: Well I wasn't sure how good many hours of community service would look, even if it is trivial like a library. It's still helping he community. Just wanted thoughts.
At this point, if you're talking about your 4th or 5th best "soft" on your application, you're talking about something that will literally have no effect on your outcomes. Put it on, take it off, it doesn't really matter. If I were you, I wouldn't waste the time to put it on.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:49 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:
zeglo wrote: Well I wasn't sure how good many hours of community service would look, even if it is trivial like a library. It's still helping he community. Just wanted thoughts.
At this point, if you're talking about your 4th or 5th best "soft" on your application, you're talking about something that will literally have no effect on your outcomes. Put it on, take it off, it doesn't really matter. If I were you, I wouldn't waste the time to put it on.
If you have room, why not? You could grab an adcomm with a soft spot for libraries or volunteering. It would be the first thing I cut for space though.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:08 pm

Nagster5 wrote: If you have room, why not? You could grab an adcomm with a soft spot for libraries or volunteering. It would be the first thing I cut for space though.
There's no reason not to, except that you are wasting 3 minutes that could have been used for something more productive, like organizing your ramen by expiration date.

Seriously, though, this is the biggest non-issue ever. Putting it on or leaving it off isn't going to move the needle at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”