So what do I do now Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
biomed123

New

So what do I do now

Post by biomed123 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:28 pm

Hey so I applied very late in the application process and therefore I am still waiting on replies from many schools even though deposit deadlines are approaching and am curious about what I should do. The schools I applied to and responses so far have been:
Acceptances: Emory 99K, WUSTL full ride, Georgia with a scholarship making tuition equivalent to in state, and Iowa with $0
No response so far from: Columbia, NW, Vandy, UPenn, OSU, Texas, and Michigan
Like I said earlier my applications were in very late (I didn't take the NW interview until last week, and the others were not complete until around mid-late Feb) I know processing takes time and that I am also a long shot for most of the remaining schools. Am I likely to hear from these schools before deposits are due in beginning of April. I am declining Georgia and Iowa but haven't chosen between Emory and WUSTL yet. Scholarship is important to me so I am currently leaning towards WUSTL. I am assuming that if I end up getting admission into one of the remaining schools that I will likely not be offered much if any in the way of scholarship. I am curious what people;s opinions are on more $ versus the ranking and whether T14 is worth it. I am currently leaving a school without much in the way of name recognition and would like to attend a prestigious law school, that being said I cant' imagine Columbia's reputation and connections are worth >200K more than WUSTL. I know the T14's are generally known as the best way to get into big law, I am going into patent law does that still apply to me the same way? A few months ago I found a listing for a starting patent attorney job in my field, the ad said lawyers fresh out of school from (top, well-known, prestigious, I forget the exact words) would be considered but others needed experience. Do you think WUSTL or Emory fit that category or are they more regionally known schools? Im not sure if anybody will really know but I would appreciate anybody's thoughts or opinions.
Thanks

biomed123

New

Re: So what do I do now

Post by biomed123 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:34 pm

Oh and also I just saw that some people are offered stipends on top of scholarship. Any chance I could leverage a T14 admission into a stipend from WUSTL?

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:35 pm

Both WUSTL and Emory are regional schools. Most of the T-14 is more regional than you'd think. You should be thinking much more about where you want to work. In general, it's not a good idea to rush into a cycle and end up with options that are not being driven by an extensive and thoughtful process of school selection. If you proceed this way, you'll be letting your school list drive your goals and not the other way around.

What are your stats? It's likely that your best move is to sit out this cycle and start again early next cycle.

biomed123

New

Post by biomed123 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:47 pm

UG gpa 3.0 STEM phd LSAT 170.
Besides a few exceptions the schools I applied to are all in places I would want to work (big biotech hubs). So I could see myself practicing in all of those places, the issue is if for instance I wanted to move to San Francisco (another big hub) later in life would a degree from WUSTL hurt my job opportunities? Or does alma mater stop mattering much once I have worked for some years and acquired experience?

biomed123

New

Post by biomed123 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:49 pm

I know it isn't mentioned in job listings or anything but apparently there are pretty strong relationships between firms and specific schools so I feel there could still be a bias even if it is unspoken?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:56 pm

I'll definitely leave it to others to address the mid-career portability question, particularly in IP/Tech. However, based on everything you've said so far, I think your best bet is to sit this cycle out, retake the LSAT to see if you can get it to at least 173 apply day 1 next cycle and see what happens. I would not feel good having to choose between options that came after late applications.

biomed123

New

Post by biomed123 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:20 pm

Ill definitely keep that in mind. I had been seriously considering retaking the LSAT whenever I actually had time to devote to studying for it as I didn't really have much time the first time I took it. Thanks

TheHill5

New

Post by TheHill5 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:20 pm

Bro. GO EAT AT WUSTL. Don't be foolish lil breh. Levy dat t-14 acceptance into $$$$ + Stipy at WUSTL. Full daddy boat is infinite times better than shellin' out 225K+ for a t14 degree that is equivalent to a yellow skittle out of a big bag of skittles. Ya dig? Ya boy.

FredTheFish

New

Post by FredTheFish » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:28 pm

Isn't Boston by far the best city for biotech? Or at least right around the top? Boston College and Boston University would probably still accept your application and give you plenty of money if they aren't dried out by now, plus they are slightly better overall than WUSTL in terms of employment and decently better than Emory. Also, St. Louis is the least exciting or desirable city out of those IMO.

If you got a full ride plus stip from WUSTL I really don't see a need to take a year off, otherwise I'd consider it depending on your goals/place in life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

biomed123

New

Post by biomed123 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:47 pm

Boston is a major one the biggest are probably SF, NYC, Boston Philly, DC with Chicago, Atlanta , St. Louis, Miami and a ton of other cities having major biotech components as well. There tend to be major hubs around large research institutions which helps as those schools also tend to have good law schools. The Boston schools did not grant me an application fee waiver and I missed the deadline on Berkley which was a long shot anyway. I probably should have sent an application off to those schools anyway but oh well. Thanks for the advice man.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:00 pm

I would definitely sit out a cycle and retake while you're at it, especially since you didn't take it seriously the first time. Applying that late is leaving money/opportunities on the table. A few points on your LSAT will make you full ride material at those 0 offer schools, and an admit at lower T14.

Having said that, IP is different than most biglaw, you definitely have a bigger cushion as the vast majority of grads can't even compete for those jobs. WUSTL at full isn't a bad outcome for you, but you could do much better. If you were gung ho for WUSTL I'd say jump at it, but you seem tepid.

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:34 pm

Anyone mind sharing the rationale behind sitting out as a 3.0 170 splitter with a t20 full ride offer and IP? Even if he gets a 173. You might get some t14 bites with that but its most likely not gunna be a ton of scholly money at least not enough to turn down WUSTL. The only exception would be the Northwestern 150k ED but even that isnt a guarantee with a 173. That bird in the hand analogy seems applicable here especially since scores and apps rose a little this year.

Generally

Gold

Post by Generally » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:50 pm

jnwa wrote:Anyone mind sharing the rationale behind sitting out as a 3.0 170 splitter with a t20 full ride offer and IP? Even if he gets a 173. You might get some t14 bites with that but its most likely not gunna be a ton of scholly money at least not enough to turn down WUSTL. The only exception would be the Northwestern 150k ED but even that isnt a guarantee with a 173. That bird in the hand analogy seems applicable here especially since scores and apps rose a little this year.
I don't really understand the rationale for sitting out. I think a 3.0 is unlikely to get much, if any, money from t14 schools. If he wanted to maybe go to a t14 at sticker, I guess retaking and applying early would improve those chances, but I don't really think that would be a good outcome.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

biomed123

New

Post by biomed123 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:00 pm

Honestly just mostly last minute jitters. I haven't spent much time looking into schools so putting a deposit on a school next week is a little intimidating lol.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:34 pm

The rationale for sitting out and retaking is based on a few things. First, OP applied late so he doesn't really know what his best options could have been. Second, OP knows he didn't give his best effort on his prior LSAT, so who knows how high he can get it. Before committing to WUSTL, I'd want to be sure that it really was the best outcome.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”