Is there an undergrad GPA buffer for coming from a difficult undergrad? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bruceaquizzer1

Bronze

Re: Is there an undergrad GPA buffer for coming from a difficult undergrad?

Post by bruceaquizzer1 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:10 am

lol mew2king

abl

Silver

Post by abl » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:54 am

Yes, there is. There's probably less of an adjustment for fewer schools than most would believe, but if you went to a Princeton or MIT or Swarthmore or Williams (etc), you will almost certainly outperform your numbers wrt admissions--especially at HYS.

FredTheFish

New

Post by FredTheFish » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:14 pm

Lol at us dumb state school kids, especially us state school kids who do STEM where the mean is a 2.3.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:04 pm

abl wrote:or Swarthmore or Williams (etc)
Is it bad that I've never heard of those schools? Am I just stuck in a bubble, or are there like 2 million "preftigious" liberal arts schools?

Also, germane to this topic:
http://www.gradeinflation.com/
http://www.gradeinflation.com/sweet162010.html
Last edited by totesTheGoat on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:06 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:
abl wrote:or Swarthmore or Williams (etc)
Is it bad that I've never heard of those schools? Am I just stuck in a bubble, or are there like 2 million "preftigious" liberal arts schools?
Well those are the two most preftigious so you might be in a bubble.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 pm

It wouldn't surprise me that I was. I was enginerd all the way, so didn't pay much attention to the LA schools.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:40 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:It wouldn't surprise me that I was. I was enginerd all the way, so didn't pay much attention to the LA schools.
They're trolling you. Those are made up schools. Could you imagine a place called "Swarthmore" actually existing? "Hey, where did you go to school?" "Actually, I spent the best years of my life at Swarthmore, it's a very prestigious place."

Lol, nobody in their right mind would name a college "Swarthmore." Harry Potter villain, yes. Prestigious place that actually exists, no.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:56 pm

BigZuck wrote:
totesTheGoat wrote:It wouldn't surprise me that I was. I was enginerd all the way, so didn't pay much attention to the LA schools.
They're trolling you. Those are made up schools. Could you imagine a place called "Swarthmore" actually existing? "Hey, where did you go to school?" "Actually, I spent the best years of my life at Swarthmore, it's a very prestigious place."

Lol, nobody in their right mind would name a college "Swarthmore." Harry Potter villain, yes. Prestigious place that actually exists, no.
This is all true, but just make sure if you ever encounter one of these fakers that you don't pronounce the "r". If you pronounce the "r", the are guaranteed to freak on you something serious.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:47 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Well, that's mildly embarrassing.

Some of the private schools in my first link elicited the same "never heard of it" response, so I was ripe for that one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:59 pm

Oh Zuck.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:07 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Well, that's mildly embarrassing.

Some of the private schools in my first link elicited the same "never heard of it" response, so I was ripe for that one.
I'll go ahead and admit it. I'm completely confused now. Just for my own peace of mind, Totes, you do see that Swarthmore and WIlliams are real, right?

Feel free to make fun of me if I missed something.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:15 pm

I'm completely lost. I think Williams is a real school. I think Swarthmore may be a real school that also appeared as a villain in one of the Harry Potter books. Perhaps Swarthmore is Schroedinger's college? It both exists and doesn't exist.

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:23 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:I'm completely lost. I think Williams is a real school. I think Swarthmore may be a real school that also appeared as a villain in one of the Harry Potter books. Perhaps Swarthmore is Schroedinger's college? It both exists and doesn't exist.
Williams is real it's in Williamstown, mass

Swarthmore is real it's in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:24 pm

Tls2016 wrote:
totesTheGoat wrote:I'm completely lost. I think Williams is a real school. I think Swarthmore may be a real school that also appeared as a villain in one of the Harry Potter books. Perhaps Swarthmore is Schroedinger's college? It both exists and doesn't exist.
Williams is real it's in Williamstown, mass

Swarthmore is real it's in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
This always makes them look even less real.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:32 pm

^^ I spent a year living in Swarthmore, PA and I swear it looks like a little village you find inside a snow globe.

Basically, Totes, here's a little list, courtesy of flip, of 6 liberal arts colleges you should know:

Williams (MA)
Amherst (MA)
Swarthmore (PA)
Pomona (CA)
Carleton (MN)
Wellesley (MA)-Hillary C.'s alma mater.

And fear not, in law school, you'll undoubtedly encounter folks from other LACs far and wide. You might meet someone from Claremont-McKenna (CA), Agnes Scott (GA), Grinnell (IA), Hamilton (NY), Vassar (NY), or Wesleyan (CT). Those aren't important enough to remember, however. Neither are Bryn Mawr (PA), Haverford (PA), Mt. Holyoke (MA), or Smith (MA). Don't let anyone make you feel bad for not knowing those.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:55 pm

Before today, I knew about Amherst, Pomona, Wellesley, Wesleyan, Bryn Mawr, and had an inkling that Williams was a thing. :oops: The rest all sound like they could be schools, I guess. :shock:

Can you tell that I don't have an elite bone in my body? :mrgreen:

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:00 pm

Then, Totes, you have a true gift. To not care about this kind of thing is a blessing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:04 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:Before today, I knew about Amherst, Pomona, Wellesley, Wesleyan, Bryn Mawr, and had an inkling that Williams was a thing. :oops: The rest all sound like they could be schools, I guess. :shock:

Can you tell that I don't have an elite bone in my body? :mrgreen:
You certainly outperformed me. Of those schools, before I began my law school research and encountered all those people talking about "mah preftige" and "GRADE DEFLATION!!!!!!" I had heard of Wellesley. And that was because Lisa Simpson wanted to go there. But now I want to visit this Swarthmore place purely due to fliptrip's description.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:06 pm

Don't go, axe...it will enchant you and you'll never want to leave.

whysoseriousbiglaw

Bronze

Post by whysoseriousbiglaw » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:49 pm

mew2king wrote:Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I apologize if I set some drama off -- I didn't realize this was a touchy subject.
Mullens wrote:No buffer for bad grades but there's some consensus that HYP get a bit of a bump. Also LOL at 3.84 being a bad GPA and you complaining about grade deflation.
Nowhere did I say 3.84 is a bad GPA. In fact, it's a very good GPA at my undergrad. But that's precisely what worried me and what compelled me to make this thread -- a good GPA at my school is below median for admitted students at HYS (and even below 25% at Y!).
What an odd thread. To be fair, this is kind of a bad GPA for a liberal arts major from any school.

And the answer is, no. My friends who went to MIT/Caltech and did real majors (like math/physics/engineering) didn't get GPA buffers. (I thought studying a liberal art was a GPA buffer in itself?)

heynowheynow

New

Post by heynowheynow » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:56 pm

Last edited by heynowheynow on Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:01 am

whysoseriousbiglaw wrote: And the answer is, no. My friends who went to MIT/Caltech and did real majors (like math/physics/engineering) didn't get GPA buffers. (I thought studying a liberal art was a GPA buffer in itself?)
We don't know what this OP's major is. But we do know now how you feel about liberal arts majors.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:03 am

heynowheynow wrote:find an easy online institution, 4.0 a bunch of credits...
To boost a 3.84?

CicBob17

New

Post by CicBob17 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:36 am

The first time I saw 'Haverford' I thought someone just butchered the spelling of 'Harvard'... My little bubble

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:30 am

IMO depending on school/major it could be a very very minor consideration. For example, if you are below median but above 25% it may bump you to the median equivalent. Typically it wont make a huge difference later in the cycle, but earlier it may since schools are more lenient I hear.

I went to a top 5 engineering program (ranked 2nd in my field behind MIT) and ended up with a 3.65. The average GPA in my major was below a 3.0. In my school getting Honors was a 3.2, High Honors a 3.4 and Highest Honor was a 3.55 (I had a 3.53 degree GPA argh).

I didnt underperform my numbers, but I wouldnt say I overperformed much either. LSAT is unfortunately a huge factor. If I had 2 points higher on my LSAT I would have had a much much better cycle.
Last edited by 87mm on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”