Please tell me anything at all about UNLV Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fliptrip

Gold

Re: Please tell me anything at all about UNLV

Post by fliptrip » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:30 pm

lymenheimer wrote: eta: not to mention being able to go home during the day. Hang out in between classes (it seems like they are pretty "life partner-y"). Etc. I mean. idgaf what they decide to do. But if I were in this particular situation, I would be considering other things.
If you're really concerned about seeing your life-partner during the day on weekdays, that doesn't sound like you have a real "life partner". Sounds like you're playing house.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:34 pm

fliptrip wrote:
lymenheimer wrote: eta: not to mention being able to go home during the day. Hang out in between classes (it seems like they are pretty "life partner-y"). Etc. I mean. idgaf what they decide to do. But if I were in this particular situation, I would be considering other things.
If you're really concerned about seeing your life-partner during the day on weekdays, that doesn't sound like you have a real "life partner". Sounds like you're playing house.
I'm pretty sure that's a non-response to the point I was making coupled with a misinterpretation of my use of the term "life partner"...unless you were commenting in addition to my post, in which case: ignore this post.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:43 pm

An hour+ commute sounds like my literal Hell on earth but everyone has to do themselves

Real talk though: the smart money is on the OP living in Durham by the beginning of the second year anyway.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:48 pm

BigZuck wrote:An hour+ commute sounds like my literal Hell on earth but everyone has to do themselves

Real talk though: the smart money is on the OP living in Durham by the beginning of the second year anyway.
+1000000000...

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:50 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
fliptrip wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's a non-response to the point I was making coupled with a misinterpretation of my use of the term "life partner"...unless you were commenting in addition to my post, in which case: ignore this post.
Please enlighten me. What exact point are you making?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:02 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
fliptrip wrote:
I was going to say that choosing a school on the basis of whether can go home between classes and hang out with your SO between classes is not a good reason.

zozo1717

Bronze

Post by zozo1717 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:24 pm

Last edited by zozo1717 on Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:50 pm

zozo1717 wrote: Honestly, beyond the commute or the communities, be wary of your individual outcomes - I think you are ABSOLUTELY making the right decision to go to Duke (try to get more $$) but if you and SO are still together and want to end up somewhere together - Wake Forest & UNC will both place predominantly in NC (or slightly extended into other areas of the Southeast) - which is another ties-sensitive market (as far as I've been told).

Good luck
The calculus is a little different if you get through this and are still together and committed to each other. At that point, it would make some sense for you to make a small compromise and snag something in Raliegh (I've known plenty of Duke grads who did this) and SO can do the same and y'all can live happily ever after. Well, at least until the kids come.

magicmagic

New

Post by magicmagic » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:59 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Commuting for an hour to end up somewhere that works for both of you isn't really that big a deal. It's annoying, but it's not going to ruin your law school experience/performance.
Yes! I commute 40 minutes each way now and it is no big deal, I actually love driving. And we drove to both Wake and Duke from Greensboro during rush hour on several week days and we had absolutely no problems. Obviously a short commute is preferable, but I'm comfortable with it. We can always move if it doesn't work out. (Or I can, for those of you who predict a single Magic. :wink: ) Which I don't think will happen. But who knows.

I'm glad you all like Duke! I really fell in love with it, and I'm getting used to the debt idea. I think this pairing (despite the commute) is infinitely better for both of us than WashU/St. Louis, Chicago/Loyola, UCLA/Marymount, Cornell/Syracuse, etc. I will start negotiations as soon as I get scholly info from a higher-ranked T14.

Thank you all!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

magicmagic

New

Post by magicmagic » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:01 pm

fliptrip wrote:
zozo1717 wrote: Honestly, beyond the commute or the communities, be wary of your individual outcomes - I think you are ABSOLUTELY making the right decision to go to Duke (try to get more $$) but if you and SO are still together and want to end up somewhere together - Wake Forest & UNC will both place predominantly in NC (or slightly extended into other areas of the Southeast) - which is another ties-sensitive market (as far as I've been told).

Good luck
The calculus is a little different if you get through this and are still together and committed to each other. At that point, it would make some sense for you to make a small compromise and snag something in Raliegh (I've known plenty of Duke grads who did this) and SO can do the same and y'all can live happily ever after. Well, at least until the kids come.
That is the plan. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”