Pass/fail? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HydroFlask666

New

Pass/fail?

Post by HydroFlask666 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:03 pm

Hi,

I am thinking about switching a class to pass/fail to protect my GPA. I already have three withdrawals (non-punitive) from previous summer semesters, but this will be my first pass/fail. My question is do T6 schools give any thought to pass/fail on a transcript? Maybe Y and S might but will H? How about CCN? Also, should I just take a W-NP instead of pass/fail? Which looks better? Thanks!

mvp99

Silver

Re: Pass/fail?

Post by mvp99 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:27 pm

all they care about is your lsat and gpa. protect your gpa.

HydroFlask666

New

Post by HydroFlask666 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:45 pm

Where does all this talk about H disliking pass/fail grades come from? I hope they wouldn't mind just one... :oops: :P

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:56 pm

I think any school is going to be a little suspicious of an excess of pass/fail grades. If you end up in a tie with someone of the same GPA, that's something that could weigh against you.

Anyway, I don't think that one pass/fail will sink you at all. Considering you already have W's on your transcript, I wouldn't get any more, though.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:13 pm

HydroFlask666 wrote:Hi,

I am thinking about switching a class to pass/fail to protect my GPA. I already have three withdrawals (non-punitive) from previous summer semesters, but this will be my first pass/fail. My question is do T6 schools give any thought to pass/fail on a transcript? Maybe Y and S might but will H? How about CCN? Also, should I just take a W-NP instead of pass/fail? Which looks better? Thanks!
I have a bunch of P/F classes and so far I've gotten a T6 acceptance and multiple other T14 acceptances, including a fullish tuition scholarship. When in doubt, go pass/fail. Just make sure you actually take advantage of the pass/fail option and don't put excessive effort into those classes... I think I probably got A's in those classes anyway so taking them pass/fail was a waste.

I think a pass/fail looks better than a W. A P/F means you had the foresight to protect your GPA, while a W means you misjudged your abilities or the difficulty of the class and got in over your head.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:10 pm

fliptrip wrote:I think any school is going to be a little suspicious of an excess of pass/fail grades. If you end up in a tie with someone of the same GPA, that's something that could weigh against you.

Anyway, I don't think that one pass/fail will sink you at all. Considering you already have W's on your transcript, I wouldn't get any more, though.
I think at least a quarter of my college credits were P/F, most of which were voluntary. For sure I had at least 5-8 P/Fs in real classes and it didn't make any difference at all during my cycle.

Do some schools in the "T6" care? Maybe, I can't say for certain. Can confirm that 7-20 didn't care when it came to acceptances or scholarships for me, so I'm guessing T6 schools don't care either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”