Is 3.83 GPA okay for H/S? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bc2578

New

Is 3.83 GPA okay for H/S?

Post by bc2578 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:27 pm

I am a senior graduating this spring. I think my lsac gpa will be about 3.83 upon graduation.

Assuming that I get a decent LSAT score (~175ish...I know it's really hard but still...), is 3.83 gpa okay enough not ding me out for either Harvard or Stanford? (I know Yale is out) I am an Asian attending one of non-HYP ivys.

If I take one more class and work extremely hard and get an A+, I can boost up my cum lsac GPA to 3.84, but is 0.01 GPA difference worth enough to sacrifice my leisure and senior life?

Damn you Econ... I would greatly appreciate your advice!

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Is 3.83 GPA okay for H/S?

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:31 pm

bc2578 wrote:I am a senior graduating this spring. I think my lsac gpa will be about 3.83 upon graduation.

Assuming that I get a decent LSAT score (~175ish...I know it's really hard but still...), is 3.83 gpa okay enough not ding me out for either Harvard or Stanford? (I know Yale is out) I am an Asian attending one of non-HYP ivys.

If I take one more class and work extremely hard and get an A+, I can boost up my cum lsac GPA to 3.84, but is 0.01 GPA difference worth enough to sacrifice my leisure and senior life?

check mylsn for chances...

nicknar

Bronze

Post by nicknar » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:58 am

3.83 puts you below median for both schools, but not by too much. If you get the high LSAT score you're aiming for then yes you do have a chance, but not a guarantee.

tflan19

Bronze

Post by tflan19 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:40 am

bc2578 wrote:I am a senior graduating this spring. I think my lsac gpa will be about 3.83 upon graduation.

Don't think too much into this until you take the LSAT! Channel this nervous energy into studying and kicking it out of the park. A 3.83/175+ has a great shot at every school and huge $$$, but a 3.83/160 will match with a very different set of schools. While GPA matters significantly, LSAT is just as much a part of the picture and is the only thing you should really be worrying about at this point. Trying to figure out your chances until you have that # is basically fruitless.

Also, I wouldn't stress over the .01 GPA difference.

SullivanLSAC

New

Post by SullivanLSAC » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:07 pm

Yale is out? Out? Because you’re 5 or 6 hundredths of a point below their alleged median? Look, get crazy about LSAT scores. 1 or 2 points can matter, and you can try to explain away bad days in addendum after addendum and it’s not going to work. But so much goes into making up a GPA that even schools with ridiculously high GPA medians take various things into account when assessing them. Besides the obvious issue of grade inflation – and they know if there is a special problem with that at your school, or not — more particularly, there is the grade inflation that comes with some, but by no means all, schools giving out A+ grades. For some reason, LSAC gives a 4.3 to A+ grades when they calculate your GPA. Well, many schools do not even have them (my undergrad did not, and I had at least a dozen classes in which I certainly would have gotten A+’s on a numerical basis), and many that do, don’t give them (as I learned at Michigan, albeit as a grad student). How fair is it that GPA’s deliberately inflated by A+’s get compared to many that never even have the chance to be. The law schools know this, and know which schools have which policies. Now you said you could get an A+, but I don’t know if you were just being flip, or how impossibly hard they are to get at your school, if actually available. (I know one school that gives them out like candy; not to contradict my point of this post, but it’s a big contributor to Yale’s 3.9 median!) Add to this the difficulty of your school apart from any grade inflation (e.g., MIT versus a less prestigious place) and the difficulty of your major, and you can see that schools subject GPA’s to all kinds of scrutiny that the LSAT scores never get. If you had a 3.53, I’d say maybe not HYS, of course, but a 3.83? So be crazy about your LSAT, but not about your 3.83 GPA. Assuming all else is in order, go for all three.

Dan Sullivan

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:12 pm

Just to ease your nerves, a 3.83/175 is in really, really, good shape for HLS. Not a guarantee, but definitely in the 70%ish range.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:17 pm

Why do you assume Yale is out? If you get high enough an LSAT score and more importantly the right experience/personal statements, YLS is still in play.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:27 pm

These questions are really silly.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:35 pm

bc2578 wrote: Assuming that I get a decent LSAT score !
:roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:46 am

WheninLaw wrote:

These questions are really silly.
+1

You can get into H/S with a 3.7 theoretically, if you have a high-enough LSAT score. But we can't predict anything until you have your score.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:51 pm

Your odds of getting into Harvard with a 175 are prob 70%. Your odds of getting a 175 are .05%.

Hildegard15

Gold

Post by Hildegard15 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:11 am

I have a lower GPA than yours and got into HLS. Focus on the LSAT, a high score will make all the difference. No use worrying about your GPA since you can't change that by much. I mean, don't tank it your last semester. SLS is a different story since they seem to value high GPAs more, so a high LSAT may still not be enough to tip the scales in your favor for them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”