Re-taking LSAT *after* admission to bargain for scholarship $$$? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AbbeyS

Silver

Re-taking LSAT *after* admission to bargain for scholarship $$$?

Post by AbbeyS » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:31 pm

So I'm re-taking my LSAT this weekend (February 6th) because I still have 4 apps out that have offered to hold my app. However, I've also been accepted to several other schools already but was hoping a significant score increase would also increase my current scholarship offers. (My last 11 PTs have been 11-15 points higher than my original score)

Anyone have any experience with this? If so, how do you specifically go about bargaining with schools for more scholarship money? (i.e., direct e-mail to adcoms, or do they contact you?)

Thxxxx!!

fliptrip

Gold

Re: Re-taking LSAT *after* admission to bargain for scholarship $$$?

Post by fliptrip » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:27 pm

Just did this successfully (negotiated from ~40% to full tuition). I think it varies by school, but for me, I had to write the adcom directly.

If you're already in, the request is pretty simple: "I love X school of law, but the current cost is beyond my means. To enhance my profile as an applicant, I took the LSAT again in February and increased my score to XXX."

AbbeyS

Silver

Post by AbbeyS » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:25 pm

fliptrip wrote:Just did this successfully (negotiated from ~40% to full tuition). I think it varies by school, but for me, I had to write the adcom directly.

If you're already in, the request is pretty simple: "I love X school of law, but the current cost is beyond my means. To enhance my profile as an applicant, I took the LSAT again in February and increased my score to XXX."
So directly to the admissions committee e-mail, not financial office or anything? And after that you just explicitly asked, "Will you consider increasing my scholarship offer"?

Also, how much of an increase did you have in scores to get that extra $?

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:18 pm

I wrote to the Dean of Admissions. My LSAT went from being below median to being at their 75th.

AbbeyS

Silver

Post by AbbeyS » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:39 pm

fliptrip wrote:I wrote to the Dean of Admissions. My LSAT went from being below median to being at their 75th.
Awesome, thank you...and congrats on the $$$!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”