Northwestern Video Interview vs. On-Campus Interview Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
calgoldenbear

Bronze

Northwestern Video Interview vs. On-Campus Interview

Post by calgoldenbear » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:37 pm

I'm trying to decide which option to choose. Since I'm submitting my application later in the cycle, there are no more off-campus interviews. I live on the east coast, so it would cost me to travel to Chicago, but I'm willing to do it because Northwestern is one of my top choices and my numbers aren't great. But, I am paying for this whole application process on my own, so the costs are adding up. Which interview should I do? I had successful skype interviews before, but I always think interviewing in person is most effective. Also, is the video interview a skype interview or some kind of recorded interview?

Thanks!!

urbanist11

Silver

Re: Northwestern Video Interview vs. On-Campus Interview

Post by urbanist11 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:41 pm

The online interview is with the Kira Talent platform, not skype, so you are recording answers into the camera as opposed to speaking with a live person. I don't think they weigh the different formats of interviews at all, so I would save that travel $ for ASW or a visit to try to get off the waitlist (if waitlisted) instead.

There is also the option of doing an alumni interview if you are really not feeling the online format.

calgoldenbear

Bronze

Post by calgoldenbear » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:45 pm

urbanist11 wrote:The online interview is with the Kira Talent platform, not skype, so you are recording answers into the camera as opposed to speaking with a live person. I don't think they weigh the different formats of interviews at all, so I would save that travel $ for ASW or a visit to try to get off the waitlist (if waitlisted) instead.

There is also the option of doing an alumni interview if you are really not feeling the online format.
By alumni interview, do you mean off-campus interview? Unfortunately, the deadline for that option has passed.

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:50 pm

calgoldenbear wrote:
urbanist11 wrote:The online interview is with the Kira Talent platform, not skype, so you are recording answers into the camera as opposed to speaking with a live person. I don't think they weigh the different formats of interviews at all, so I would save that travel $ for ASW or a visit to try to get off the waitlist (if waitlisted) instead.

By alumni interview, do you mean off-campus interview? Unfortunately, the deadline for that option has passed.
Yes, sorry I hadn't realized there was a deadline for that. I'd say stick with the video option. NU admission is still highly numbers driven, so I don't think the interview will make or break you necessarily. I will warn you ahead of time that the online format is a little... Awkward. That said, I choose it, felt it went ok (not great), and was accepted.

Good luck!

calgoldenbear

Bronze

Post by calgoldenbear » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:01 pm

urbanist11 wrote:
calgoldenbear wrote:

Yes, sorry I hadn't realized there was a deadline for that. I'd say stick with the video option. NU admission is still highly numbers driven, so I don't think the interview will make or break you necessarily. I will warn you ahead of time that the online format is a little... Awkward. That said, I choose it, felt it went ok (not great), and was accepted.

Good luck!
Is it awkward because recording a video is just awkward?

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:07 pm

calgoldenbear wrote:
urbanist11 wrote:
calgoldenbear wrote:

Good luck!
Is it awkward because recording a video is just awkward?
Mostly, yes. Basically the platform asks you a question, which you have 1 minute (I think?) to think of a response to, and 1 minute (again, if I recall correctly) to answer. You are asked 4 questions. It can be awkward for a number of reasons - you finish to soon (though you can choose to stop recording), you take too long and get cut off, or your responses are inarticulate. But largely, yes, I would say the awkwardness is due to not actually talking to another person on the other end.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”