Public interest job for international students? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tiny123

New

Public interest job for international students?

Post by Tiny123 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:43 pm

This might be random, but does anyone know if international students can get public interest job?

My goal was to become a prosecutor, only recently someone told me this might not happen because I am an international student. (Not a permanent resident either)

thanks

Tls2016

Silver

Re: Public interest job for international students?

Post by Tls2016 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:37 pm

This is an interesting question. You need a visa to work here and I don't think government agencies can hire or sponsor you.

DownUnder

New

Post by DownUnder » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:59 pm

Tiny123 wrote:This might be random, but does anyone know if international students can get public interest job?

My goal was to become a prosecutor, only recently someone told me this might not happen because I am an international student. (Not a permanent resident either)

thanks
0L, so please take this advice with a pinch of salt and feel free to correct me if I am inaccurate in any way.

I am an international student who is going to be matriculating at a US law school in this Fall and I have done some research on this. No citizenship or Green Card either.

My goal is also to become a prosecutor in the states and to the best of my knowledge, the quickest way to this for internationals like us is as follows:

Go to a T-14 ---> Biglaw litigation ----> acquire green card (employment based or through marriage etc) -----> 5 years of relevant practice -----> get the citizenship (you can get citizenship 5 years after getting GC) -----> then apply for DA or AUSA positions.

It is a long shot to say the least but this is probably the only way for the likes of you and me.

Other public interest jobs at NGOs or not-for-profit organizations maybe more tangible. The visa costs associated with H1b visas are not cheap but they are not especially exorbitant either (<10k). So these organizations maybe more willing than expected to sponsor internationals.

In short, go to the best possible school you can get in to and get a job that will lead to a green card down the line (biglaw, F500 in-house or consulting) if you ever want to work for the state or federal agencies.

Hope this helps.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:59 pm

Another very important consideration we have to factor in, is that for most schools you are not eligible for any kind of loan forgiveness.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”