Would one grammar mistake hurt my application? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
backdoer

New

Would one grammar mistake hurt my application?

Post by backdoer » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:03 pm

I realized that in one of the addenda, I wrote "I feel obliged to let you know" as "I feel obliged to know"...

Aeon

Silver

Re: Would one grammar mistake hurt my application?

Post by Aeon » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:05 pm

Probably not. It's one of those phrases that most people gloss over while they're reading, so there's a decent chance that the application reviewer might not even notice it. Even if they do, it's so minor that I wouldn't worry about it.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:07 pm

backdoer wrote:I realized that in one of the addenda, I wrote "I feel obliged to let you know" as "I feel obliged to know"...
i don't think you know what grammar means

backdoer

New

Post by backdoer » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:16 pm

Aeon wrote:Probably not. It's one of those phrases that most people gloss over while they're reading, so there's a decent chance that the application reviewer might not even notice it. Even if they do, it's so minor that I wouldn't worry about it.
Then, sending an updated version would not really help, right? Rather it would simply bother them.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:22 pm

backdoer wrote:
Aeon wrote:Probably not. It's one of those phrases that most people gloss over while they're reading, so there's a decent chance that the application reviewer might not even notice it. Even if they do, it's so minor that I wouldn't worry about it.
Then, sending an updated version would not really help, right? Rather it would simply bother them.
Yes, I'd say it's better not to send an updated version only to fix this error. It's not substantive, and there's no need to draw added attention to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

charlieww

New

Post by charlieww » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:34 am

lacrossebrother wrote:
backdoer wrote:I realized that in one of the addenda, I wrote "I feel obliged to let you know" as "I feel obliged to know"...
i don't think you know what grammar means
This made me laugh a bit.

IMO some law school deans are known for been picky over precision of language (YLS's Asha, for example) and might notice this (absolutely no-big-deal) mistake, but unless there's another candidate whose profile is in almost every way identical to you, this should not be a problem.

Also, if it helps at all, there was an actual grammar mistake on my resume (a missing verb, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how that happend) but I don't think any school (especially those accepted me) has issues with that.

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:37 am

I mean 1) That's not really a grammar mistake.
and 2) I don't think a single grammar mistake will hurt an application, if everything is else is fine. (Could be wrong here, but I can't see someone getting dinged over something so minor, unless you're on the margins or there's someone exactly like you and his/her app is perfect.)

JuliusCaesar

Bronze

Post by JuliusCaesar » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:53 pm

Lmao this title is the epitome of the neuroticism of future law students.

TheDapperDruid

New

Post by TheDapperDruid » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:02 am

After updating my resume about 20 times and finally submitting my apps, I realized I managed to forget the .com at the end of my gmail address... I truly have no idea how I managed to miss it; I blame it on the fact that it kind of looks nicer without the .com, ha. I figure it's going to play out one of two ways: no one will notice it if I managed to miss it 20 times, or they will notice and may politely assume that I did it for aesthetics. I figure I'd likely look more idiotic if I submitted an updated resume to fix that detail because then it'd be clear that I screwed up the first time around rather than having made a conscious decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”