Am I screwed? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
abcdefg1234567

Bronze

Am I screwed?

Post by abcdefg1234567 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:48 am

I have been sending out applications this last week, and on my first to GW under the character and fitness section, I selected no on all, because upon careful reading that was the truth. Ok, on to the next app. C&F...no no no....and the next app and the next I selected the same thing. Now, for some reason (mostly because I must be an idiot) I did not realize that some schools also ask if I have EVER been arrested for a misdemeanor even if I've never been charged with a crime, some schools even ask if you've ever had a traffic ticket.

My question is:

If I inadvertently said "no" to these kinds of questions even though it is not the truth, did I just lie on my application and am I completely screwed???

Thanks

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Am I screwed?

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:53 am

abcdefg1234567 wrote:I have been sending out applications this last week, and on my first to GW under the character and fitness section, I selected no on all, because upon careful reading that was the truth. Ok, on to the next app. C&F...no no no....and the next app and the next I selected the same thing. Now, for some reason (mostly because I must be an idiot) I did not realize that some schools also ask if I have EVER been arrested for a misdemeanor even if I've never been charged with a crime, some schools even ask if you've ever had a traffic ticket.

My question is:

If I inadvertently said "no" to these kinds of questions even though it is not the truth, did I just lie on my application and am I completely screwed???

Thanks
Go back through all your apps, and send corrections to the admissions offices of the schools where you answered wrong. Just be up front. "Good afternoon. Upon reviewing my application for the JD class of 20XX, I discovered that I misinterpreted question 12b. Here is my full disclosure as required on your application. I apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your time, abcdefg"

abcdefg1234567

Bronze

Post by abcdefg1234567 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:56 am

Thanks for your quick response. Would you recommend calling the admissions offices and explaining my situation, or should I send an email first?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:27 am

abcdefg1234567 wrote:Thanks for your quick response. Would you recommend calling the admissions offices and explaining my situation, or should I send an email first?
You could call to find out the best way to get the info to them, but they're probably just going to give you the admissions office email contact. Whoever answers your phone in the admissions office really doesn't want to listen to your mea culpa on the phone, so if you do call, be super brief. "Hi, I realized I answered a question on my application incorrectly and I'd like to submit a correction. Is there an email that would be the best place to send it? Thanks."

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:10 am

Can't answer for the arrest history, but as for the traffic tickets, I don't think it's a big deal. I received traffic tickets in the past (red light cam, malfunctioning backlight, etc.) and even had my car impounded once for expired registration. I answered "no" on C&F that asked for history of traffic tickets and I got admitted to majority of the schools I applied this cycle. But arrest history might be a different story.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:41 am

CPAlawHopefu wrote:Can't answer for the arrest history, but as for the traffic tickets, I don't think it's a big deal. I received traffic tickets in the past (red light cam, malfunctioning backlight, etc.) and even had my car impounded once for expired registration. I answered "no" on C&F that asked for history of traffic tickets and I got admitted to majority of the schools I applied this cycle. But arrest history might be a different story.
Did you then update your application when you realized your error?

Alive97

Bronze

Post by Alive97 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:39 am

CPAlawHopefu wrote:Can't answer for the arrest history, but as for the traffic tickets, I don't think it's a big deal. I received traffic tickets in the past (red light cam, malfunctioning backlight, etc.) and even had my car impounded once for expired registration. I answered "no" on C&F that asked for history of traffic tickets and I got admitted to majority of the schools I applied this cycle. But arrest history might be a different story.
You need to tell them about your ticket history LOL.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:45 am

Seems like you guys are worried about this impacting admissions but that's not why this stuff matters

Disclose, disclose, disclose. If you realize you made a mistake on your application or just straight up didn't disclose something, go back and amend it.

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:08 am

I've read in other threads on TLS that's it's recommended to send an email in this case so you have a record of it.

That way, if 3 years later you go to take the bar and they're like "you have these traffic violations but you lied on your law school apps and said you didn't have any" you can show some proof that you corrected it as soon as you realized the mistake.

Won't hurt your admissions chances but you do need to disclose so you don't hurt your bar eligibility.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

abcdefg1234567

Bronze

Post by abcdefg1234567 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:40 pm

Thanks everyone

I went to the DMV this morning and got records of any and all past traffic incidents and sent an email to all the admissions offices requiring that information along with my arrest in 2012.

How negatively will they perceive my inability to review my application in better detail?

Honestly, I have no idea why I did not check each one. I'm sure some of you can relate to the frenzy of submitting multiple applications at once....

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:53 pm

I can't remember a single school I applied to that asked about traffic violations. Which schools asked about that? And just lol at anybody remembering when they got speeding tickets. "Yeah I got some" is the best anyone can do.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:53 pm

BigZuck wrote:Disclose, disclose, disclose. If you realize you made a mistake on your application or just straight up didn't disclose something, go back and amend it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:57 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:I can't remember a single school I applied to that asked about traffic violations. Which schools asked about that? And just lol at anybody remembering when they got speeding tickets. "Yeah I got some" is the best anyone can do.
Emory is the only school I applied to that asked for traffic violations.

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:10 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:I can't remember a single school I applied to that asked about traffic violations. Which schools asked about that? And just lol at anybody remembering when they got speeding tickets. "Yeah I got some" is the best anyone can do.
Most schools said "excluding minor traffic violations." However, Columbia and I think NYU both said "excluding minor parking violations." So I interpreted that as I should disclose moving violations (i.e. speeding tickets).

abcdefg1234567

Bronze

Post by abcdefg1234567 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:42 pm

William and Mary
GMU
Washington and Lee
American University
Loyola
Pepperdine

They all asked to disclose traffic violations. I woke up early this morning, waited in line at the godforsaken DMV and pulled my complete record. I had a seatbelt violation, following too closely, and a minor accident with no alcohol involved. I included all of these incidents in my email and asked that they be noted in my application. What a mess.....

abcdefg1234567

Bronze

Post by abcdefg1234567 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:45 pm

What is the consensus? Is sending an application amendment something minor that shouldn't much affect on my application. Or does this convey a weakness in my ability to pay attention to detail?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:47 pm

abcdefg1234567 wrote:What is the consensus? Is sending an application amendment something minor that shouldn't much affect on my application. Or does this convey a weakness in my ability to pay attention to detail?
no. they likely won't care as long as you disclose promptly.

steviewonders

New

Post by steviewonders » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:57 pm

abcdefg1234567 wrote:What is the consensus? Is sending an application amendment something minor that shouldn't much affect on my application. Or does this convey a weakness in my ability to pay attention to detail?
I sent a brief addendum indicating both of my minor traffic incidents to a few Top 30 schools this week and both conveyed that they would add it to my file with no fuss.

Ann Levine said to do so in the name of honesty and to stress that it wasn't intentional in emailing them – after reading that I went ahead with it.

Go for it. Shouldn't be a problem.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:55 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
no. they likely won't care as long as you disclose promptly.
And also be a rational person about it and not a neurotic 0L. Just disclose with a minimum of dramatics and drop it.

oreomilkshake

New

Post by oreomilkshake » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:09 pm

what about if you were already admitted? is it too dramatic to be like "I understand X Law School may reconsider my admissions decision due to my lack of timely disclosure."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:28 pm

oreomilkshake wrote:what about if you were already admitted? is it too dramatic to be like "I understand X Law School may reconsider my admissions decision due to my lack of timely disclosure."
Yes, that is too dramatic. Just apologize without elaboration. If it's just traffic tickets, they're not going to reconsider your admission. You could say "I apologize for my mistake, and I wanted to make sure my files with X School are complete and accurate." or something to that effect.

oreomilkshake

New

Post by oreomilkshake » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:32 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
oreomilkshake wrote:what about if you were already admitted? is it too dramatic to be like "I understand X Law School may reconsider my admissions decision due to my lack of timely disclosure."
Yes, that is too dramatic. Just apologize without elaboration. If it's just traffic tickets, they're not going to reconsider your admission. You could say "I apologize for my mistake, and I wanted to make sure my files with X School are complete and accurate." or something to that effect.
lol glad i checked, thank you! freshman alcohol citation i completely forgot happened until now ;___; i can't imagine that would be grounds for rescinding admission.

passedge

New

Post by passedge » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:33 am

I wouldn't worry too much, there's a president that got into these schools with more than a misdemeanor

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:49 pm

I think some people are overlooking why, exactly, amending any questions you answered wrongly is important. In three years, you'll have to do C&F for the bar. For C&F, you'll have to send a full driving report. If there's stuff on there that you didn't disclose on your law school apps, that's not a small thing. They don't care about the traffic ticket - they care about honesty.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”