Am I too old for law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KissMyAxe

Bronze

Re: Am I too old for law school?

Post by KissMyAxe » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:43 pm

Piggy-backing on what a lot of these other people are saying, I don't think you're too old at all. At first I thought you said you were 48, which some interviewers in Biglaw would probably raise their eyebrows at, but I don't think you'll encounter very many hurdles just being a hair over 30. There are a lot of people I know at my school around that age.

UCDAVISSTUDENT

New

Post by UCDAVISSTUDENT » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:49 pm

Because you just graduated from college, they will likely not know, and wont ask, exactly how old you are. Obviously, don't list the year you graduated high school on your resume.

Even if you did tell them, to explain some work history or something, age is unlikely to prevent you from getting a job you otherwise would have. I started LS late and had no problems at interviews.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Not at all. There is a forum on here called "old school," you may want to check it out.

PoopyPants

Bronze

Post by PoopyPants » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:53 am

Everything I've read on this forum indicates that being a little older and having WE can only benefit you.

islanddive89

New

Post by islanddive89 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:32 pm

whatdidshesay wrote:Hey guys.

I have a bit of a non-traditional background. I'm 28 and I am just about to complete a B.A. in Italian language and culture with the equivalent of a 4.0. (Italian university). It took me so long because at 19, I moved to another country and started my own business. By profession I am a translator and I also own a boutique consulting firm in a semi-legal industry; through my job I have come to love working with legal documents and I soak up everything that has to do with law, especially intellectual property (my translation work has allowed me to see the inner workings of the IP departments of BigLaw firms working with some very well-known fashion houses. I got to translate all the casework for a very high profile trademark infringement lawsuit that some of you might have heard of in the fashion industry), but I digress.

I am currently living outside the U.S. and am wondering if my age will hinder me at all in finding a job back home in NY. I want to work in corporate law and/or IP law. I have one of two plans:

1. Stay in Italy for 2 more years and obtain an M.Sc. in European Comparative Law (truth be told, I just like living here and want to savor it a little longer, while possibly learning more about EU law). This means I would be 31 by the time I apply to law school and 34 by the time I graduate.

or

2. Just come home to NY as soon as I graduate and try to apply to law school at 29, leaving me 31 by the time I graduate.
I'd be enrolling at 33/34....I say no, you're not too old.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”