Northeastern v. BC Solved Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
joeycxxxx09

Bronze

Northeastern v. BC Solved

Post by joeycxxxx09 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:21 pm

Northeastern with full + stipend or BC/BU with only a small scholarship. Is there a compelling reason to take on all that debt? Goal isn't necessarly big law
Last edited by joeycxxxx09 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LetsGoNow

New

Re: Northeastern v. BC

Post by LetsGoNow » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:34 pm

joeycxxxx09 wrote:Northeastern with full + stipend or BC/BU with only a small scholarship. Is there a compelling reason to take on all that debt? Goal isn't necessarly big law
I'm not from the New England area, and I haven't done much research into Boston's legal market, so take it for what it's worth. I'm sure most people here will probably say BC/BU. And even that's only those who can get past the "retake the LSAT and go for T14" (not that its bad advice, just saying sometimes people need actual answers to their questions). So I guess it depends on how debt-averse you are, and how likely a JD from Northeastern will place you where you'd like to work. In most scenarios, I still see BC/BU with some scholly as the better option, but your specific situation may call for NE if you are either very debt averse or you think a degree from NE will likely be enough for your career goals (or both).

jumbo2016

Silver

Post by jumbo2016 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:39 pm

It really depends on how debt averse you are, but just looking at their employment numbers on Law School Transparency, BC has a much better chance of getting you employed anywhere, not just big law. BC has a 75% employment score and Northeastern is around 50%

obx

New

Post by obx » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:30 pm

joeycxxxx09 wrote:Northeastern with full + stipend or BC/BU with only a small scholarship. Is there a compelling reason to take on all that debt? Goal isn't necessarly big law
edit
Last edited by obx on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

celtslaw

New

Post by celtslaw » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:48 pm

Boston native at BC/BU heading to a V50 in the city- go to BC if you have any intention of trying for big law. Northeastern gives you close to zero chance of biglaw, whereas BC/BU dominate biglaw in Boston.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:56 pm

BC cost of attendance at repayment: $245,000

BC biglaw + fed clerkship = 35%

Northeastern employment score: 51%

Proceed with caution

Zero99

New

Post by Zero99 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:19 pm

Be very cautious about either choice-- if you can retake, then I would do that. Between those two options, I would choose Northeastern. BU/BC with a small scholarship is a horrendous place to be. At least for me, I'd rather have low debt and a 50/50 shot at a job than a ton of debt and a 65/35 shot.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:43 pm

Zero99 wrote:Be very cautious about either choice-- if you can retake, then I would do that. Between those two options, I would choose Northeastern. BU/BC with a small scholarship is a horrendous place to be. At least for me, I'd rather have low debt and a 50/50 shot at a job than a ton of debt and a 65/35 shot.
Small caveat, BC is 35% chance of biglaw/fc job, 75% chance at lawyer job generally. NE would be <10% chance at biglaw, 51% at lawyer job.

But agree with the rest-- retake

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:54 am

Retake. BC at basically sticker is crazy though (calling BlueLotus).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheodoreKGB

Bronze

Post by TheodoreKGB » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:01 am

Does the Northeastern scholly have a GPA stipulation? If so, definitely retake.

If not, and you're okay with small law in Boston/your home market, then a full ride plus stipend to Northeastern wouldn't be a travesty.

Either way, Boston College at near sticker is not TCR.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:48 pm

I would definitely re-take. If you got into BC with a nominal scholarship, you are smart enough to re-take the LSAT and improve your score by a few points. That should get you a good scholarship from BC/BU, which are good options in New England if you can keep the debt low.

bostonmaura

New

Post by bostonmaura » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:42 pm

northeastern doesn't have grades and this can be an issue when studying for the bar if you don't really know where you stand on your legal knowledge.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:22 pm

bostonmaura wrote:
northeastern doesn't have grades and this can be an issue when studying for the bar if you don't really know where you stand on your legal knowledge.
Or differentiating yourself from classmates at OCI.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:29 pm

Can't answer your question without stats, sorry.

joeycxxxx09

Bronze

Post by joeycxxxx09 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:35 pm

Update LSAC website predictor is garbage for splitters****.....both of these schools have pretty much been ruled out for now though. Thanks for the replies
Last edited by joeycxxxx09 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10keveryday

New

Post by 10keveryday » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:10 pm

joeycxxxx09 wrote:Update: much bigger scholarship at BC than I thought. LSAC website predictor is garbage for splitters****.....both of these schools have pretty much been ruled out for now though. Thanks for the replies
When did BC provide you with scholarship info? I believe i'm going to be in a similar situation but have only heard back about scholarship money from NUSL. From what I understand, BC is supposed to start providing information in February?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”