Full Ride or good scholarship chances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SavMiller89

New

Full Ride or good scholarship chances?

Post by SavMiller89 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:01 am

Hi all -

I am a female applying to law school for the 2016 year. I have a 160 LSAT and a 3.6 GPA. What are my odds of getting substantial scholarships or a full ride? I don't want to pay sticker and am not interested in biglaw. I'm targeting health law and have been working in the healthcare industry in consulting for the last 4 years.

Schools I'm looking at:
BU
UMaryland
Columbia
Georgetown
UGA
GA State
Emory
Northwestern
Last edited by SavMiller89 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Full Ride or good scholarship chances?

Post by BigZuck » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:32 pm

Check out www.mylsn.info for chances

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:51 pm

Assuming you're in-state (based on Emory/UGA/GSU combo), you should be able to negotiate for full or close-to-full ride at UGA. They'll probably offer you half-off of in-state right off the bat. If you're trying to stay in Atlanta and are not interested in big law (and I would argue, even if you were interested in big law), there is zero reason to choose Emory (at presumably substantially more $$) over UGA.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:56 pm

You sound like a cookie cutter NU ED candidate to me
(EDIT: nevermind, I forgot it's probably too late for NU ED this cycle :/)

Maybe not since you don't want biglaw

but still worth looking into

GeorgeTTTown will probably be stingy and your numbers aren't high enough for good money at Columbia

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:13 pm

What do you mean by health law? Like what are some employers you had in mind where you could practice health law coming out of law school

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:22 pm

It's a weird list of schools. Columbia and Northwestern but not Cornell? Maryland?

You need to apply broader within the T14 and acquire a greater geographic focus outside of it.

eta: Just looked at US News, seems like the OP has looked at the Health Law program rankings and is basing applications off that in part (just not Saint Louis University because St. Louis is yucky I'm guessing). Don't do that OP, specialty rankings are completely and utterly useless.

What do you mean by health law anyway?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:54 pm

OP should absolutely be applying to Cornell and their regional powerhouses. I suspect that's not UGA/Maryland.

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:28 pm

BigZuck wrote:It's a weird list of schools. Columbia and Northwestern but not Cornell? Maryland?

You need to apply broader within the T14 and acquire a greater geographic focus outside of it.

eta: Just looked at US News, seems like the OP has looked at the Health Law program rankings and is basing applications off that in part (just not Saint Louis University because St. Louis is yucky I'm guessing). Don't do that OP, specialty rankings are completely and utterly useless.

What do you mean by health law anyway?
Yeah, OP. Law schools aren't like other graduate programs that have legit niche specialties. You go to school in the region you want to practice in or you go to a top national school (T-14) that (generally) can place students in any market where the student has sufficient pre-existing ties.

The specialization stuff comes with good grades, demonstrated interest, networking, and luck.

Do you know people who have the "health law" job you want? Did they go to law school? Where are they practicing? Which? How did they get that job?

And aren't there giant firms that have big health care practice areas? Proskauer? If so, it's possible that biglaw could have a "health law" exit. But that would just mean crush the LSAT--->T-14 with good grades ----> biglaw with established health law practice----> health law.

Lotta ifs....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”