C&F question I need advice on Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MidwestLady

New

C&F question I need advice on

Post by MidwestLady » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:55 pm

Hey guys, I am currently working on my applications for the fall of 2016. One of the schools I am applying to is William Mitchell in MN and there was a question in the C&F section that I wanted to get clarification on-

"Has your education or employment been interrupted for six or more months? If you answered "yes," you must provide a complete explanation"

Now, my education hasn't been interrupted. Here's the thing- I've never been employed (my family has always been financially supportive of me, so no judgmental comments please). I've participated in volunteering and research in college, but I was never paid or formally employed.

Do I mark yes or no? I'm confused about this because if I've never actually been employed, then there wouldn't be an interruption, would there?

Sweetneers

New

Re: C&F question I need advice on

Post by Sweetneers » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:01 pm

I struggled with this as well.

Ultimately, the conclusion I reached was that they were talking about the two combined. As in, have you not been employed AND not in school for more than six months?

MidwestLady

New

Post by MidwestLady » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:08 pm

Sweetneers wrote:I struggled with this as well.

Ultimately, the conclusion I reached was that they were talking about the two combined. As in, have you not been employed AND not in school for more than six months?
Yeah, I haven't been employed and not in school for more than six months. Since I graduated in Dec of 2014. The only explanation I would have to give is that I was studying for the LSAT (which I was) and that I was being financially supported by my parents.

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:41 pm

MidwestLady wrote:Hey guys, I am currently working on my applications for the fall of 2016. One of the schools I am applying to is William Mitchell in MN and there was a question in the C&F section that I wanted to get clarification on-

"Has your education or employment been interrupted for six or more months? If you answered "yes," you must provide a complete explanation"

Now, my education hasn't been interrupted. Here's the thing- I've never been employed (my family has always been financially supportive of me, so no judgmental comments please). I've participated in volunteering and research in college, but I was never paid or formally employed.

Do I mark yes or no? I'm confused about this because if I've never actually been employed, then there wouldn't be an interruption, would there?
"Has your education or employment been interrupted for six or more months?"

Your education has never been interrupted and you've never been employed. You should have your answer.

MidwestLady

New

Post by MidwestLady » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:47 pm

kartelite wrote:
MidwestLady wrote:Hey guys, I am currently working on my applications for the fall of 2016. One of the schools I am applying to is William Mitchell in MN and there was a question in the C&F section that I wanted to get clarification on-

"Has your education or employment been interrupted for six or more months?"

Your education has never been interrupted and you've never been employed. You should have your answer.
I tend to overthink things a bit. For the education part, I thought it meant that you had to answer "yes" if while you are enrolled at a school and then you stop going for whatever reason, then you enroll again. But I don't think the question means that if you finished one degree and haven't enrolled in any other program that your education would be interrupted.

I guess I'm being so technical about this because I don't want to cause any issues in the future when I am applying for the bar exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CFC1524

Bronze

Post by CFC1524 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:15 am

You're overthinking this. Your "employment" cannot be interrupted if you've never been employed. Something needs to exist in the first place in order for it to be interrupted by something else. So long as your education wasn't interrupted, you should answer "no." Good luck with your cycle.

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:19 am

Don't overthink. Your answer to this is obviously "no".

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:26 am

Probably prudent to put that your parent's financial help has interrupted your ability to find gainful employment.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:24 am

Please do not go to William Mitchell

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MidwestLady

New

Post by MidwestLady » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:30 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Please do not go to William Mitchell
How come? Even if I get offered decent scholarships?

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:27 am

MidwestLady wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:Please do not go to William Mitchell
How come? Even if I get offered decent scholarships?
Facts to consider: COA, likelihood of increase in LSAT scores, employment stats, earning and growth potential in another job over the 3 years, etc. Make an informed decision based on these.

carmensandiego

Bronze

Post by carmensandiego » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:14 am

This thread brought to you by overthinking.

Not to be harsh, but that question is very self explanatory.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”