Gap year advice? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JCDante

New

Gap year advice?

Post by JCDante » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:16 am

I'm graduating in June and wondering what the hell I'm supposed to do for a year (or two) after graduation. I know for certain that I do not want to go to law school right away, but I feel my opportunities are limited. I have a 3.94 GPA so far in a liberal arts major from a T50 undergrad and limited leadership experience. My softs are a bit scatterbrained: I've been involved throughout college, mostly in journalism and politics with the occasional part-time job in retail or at a restaurant, but I transferred schools a couple times and never got to establish myself in any leadership positions.

My original plan was to work with Americorps through their City Year program, but I got waitlisted. Trying to find a plan B in case it doesn't go through.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Re: Gap year advice?

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:19 am

Try to find a job that pays better than americorps (aka at least minimum wage) imo

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:06 am

You still have several months till graduation. Apply to a variety of jobs to see your options.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:40 pm

Travel as much as you can.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:50 pm

Do fun things.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Join the military for three years. Save some money while you drill LSAT until you're breaking 170. Get a bad tattoo. Go to an elite law school for free on the GI Bill.

my prole called life

New

Post by my prole called life » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:17 pm

If you're asking how to make the most out of your gap year, my advice is have fun
Last edited by my prole called life on Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maracuya

Bronze

Post by maracuya » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Study for the LSAT and find a job doing something you're interested in. A law related job is ideal because you'll get to see what the law practice is really like and if you even like it.

JCDante

New

Post by JCDante » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:12 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Join the military for three years. Save some money while you drill LSAT until you're breaking 170. Get a bad tattoo. Go to an elite law school for free on the GI Bill.
Actually, the military would interest me if it were a two to three year deal, but you have to serve four years active duty and can get called back after another four.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:41 am

I got a job, moved to a new city, saved up $$, got some semi-law exp that I can use as a talking point, and learned a language. I quit a few weeks early to go to Europe. It was mostly practical but I got to have fun too.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:27 pm

JCDante wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Join the military for three years. Save some money while you drill LSAT until you're breaking 170. Get a bad tattoo. Go to an elite law school for free on the GI Bill.
Actually, the military would interest me if it were a two to three year deal, but you have to serve four years active duty and can get called back after another four.
Unless things have changed dramatically, you can do a 3 year active duty contract. But yes, then you'd have to spend 5 years in the IRR.

WatchClosely

Bronze

Post by WatchClosely » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:45 pm

Last edited by WatchClosely on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

hubertkeeth

New

Post by hubertkeeth » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:50 am

One friend of my work at http://paperswhite.com as freelance writer and he is always able to combine things that we don't. He's traveling all the time, he has money and opportunity for it. You need just internet access and inspiration! Try to find similar position and enjoy your life. It's not necessary at a writer, nowadays is easy to work outsource, just find your way. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:53 am

Well that doesn't seem like a good business.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:35 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
JCDante wrote:
Unless things have changed dramatically, you can do a 3 year active duty contract. But yes, then you'd have to spend 5 years in the IRR.
For officers, only people who were on scholarship in college owe 4 years. Non scholarship owe three.

For enlisted I'm pretty sure you can do three, but I think you have to ask, otherwise the recruiter will just slip you into four.

But being an officer is a better lifestyle if you can get it. I think OCS is really competitive right now though.

ETA Also, if you're seriously considering it then look at Coast Guard, Air Force, or Navy. They have way cooler duty stations and don't suck as much as the Army or (I imagine) the Marines.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”