When is it worth applying to 2nd and 3rd tier schools? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
calmike

Bronze

When is it worth applying to 2nd and 3rd tier schools?

Post by calmike » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:13 pm

I took the October LSAT and scored a 160. I am a URM. I am debating whether to apply or not this cycle. When does it make sense to apply to schools that are not T14? If I know I cannot score higher? If I am set to go to law school next fall?

Leagles5161

Bronze

Re: When is it worth applying to 2nd and 3rd tier schools?

Post by Leagles5161 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:26 pm

This is completely subjective and is dependent on career goals, but if you have a specific region that you want to work in, got a full ride, are set on the reality of not getting big law, then the argument could be made that a 2nd tier school is defensible. Attending a bottom tier school with atrocious employment prospects and paying sticker is financial suicide though. It is important to recognize that you are asking for law school advice on a website literally called " top law schools", so I very well may be in the minority with my viewpoint.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:42 pm

calmike wrote:I took the October LSAT and scored a 160. I am a URM. I am debating whether to apply or not this cycle. When does it make sense to apply to schools that are not T14? If I know I cannot score higher? If I am set to go to law school next fall?
You're probably going to get into one, and if not you're going to get a free ride to some decent schools so your question is moot.

calmike

Bronze

Post by calmike » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:23 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
calmike wrote:I took the October LSAT and scored a 160. I am a URM. I am debating whether to apply or not this cycle. When does it make sense to apply to schools that are not T14? If I know I cannot score higher? If I am set to go to law school next fall?
You're probably going to get into one, and if not you're going to get a free ride to some decent schools so your question is moot.

Why is it moot? Just asking when is it worth it applying to lower-tier school. Maybe I should apply and get a full ride somewhere.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:26 pm

calmike wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:

Why is it moot? Just asking when is it worth it applying to lower-tier school. Maybe I should apply and get a full ride somewhere.
If it's a flagship in a non-major city, you're from the area and would like to practice there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:29 pm

Only if you (1) can get close to a full ride, (2) are comfortable with the school's job placement, and (3) like the location.

Scalvert

Silver

Post by Scalvert » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:50 pm

There are a lot of state schools in the 30-50 range that would give you a full ride or close to it. (Especially if your GPA is good)

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:41 pm

GPA? If you have a high GPA and are URM you still have more clout than you might suspect in much higher ranked schools. CCN here, and I have URM friends who got in with 155-160 and solid GPAs, with no exceptional softs. URM + great GPA or great LSAT is sought after.

Abraham Lincoln Uni.

Bronze

Post by Abraham Lincoln Uni. » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:14 pm

The answer to your question is that it depends on the student. If a student wishes to

work for the bigger firms, then it might be wise to apply to well-known schools. If a

student, on the other hand, would like to become a sole practitioner, work for a mid

to small size firm, and attend a school at a more affordable tuition rate, then it is

suggested to also apply to 2nd and 3rd tier schools. It truly depends on where you

would like to practice, where you would like to live, and what school environment

you are looking for, such as part time versus full time programs.

Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:45 pm

Abraham Lincoln Uni. wrote:The answer to your question is that it depends on the student. If a student wishes to

work for the bigger firms, then it might be wise to apply to well-known schools. If a

student, on the other hand, would like to become a sole practitioner, work for a mid

to small size firm, and attend a school at a more affordable tuition rate, then it is

suggested to also apply to 2nd and 3rd tier schools. It truly depends on where you

would like to practice, where you would like to live, and what school environment

Best of luck!
How does the regrade essay system work for $10 per essay? If the grading system isn't arbitrary you'd expect a lot of stability among graders. Just wondering why you offer to and charge for regrading your students.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:44 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
Abraham Lincoln Uni. wrote:The answer to your question is that it depends on the student. If a student wishes to

Best of luck!
How does the regrade essay system work for $10 per essay? If the grading system isn't arbitrary you'd expect a lot of stability among graders. Just wondering why you offer to and charge for regrading your students.
What?

WhyYaCryin

New

Post by WhyYaCryin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:49 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote: How does the regrade essay system work for $10 per essay? If the grading system isn't arbitrary you'd expect a lot of stability among graders. Just wondering why you offer to and charge for regrading your students.
What?

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:56 pm

:lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:17 pm

I'm not going to post what was sent to me and turn this into a thing, but you're welcome to research the school.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:20 pm

I'm aware of the school. If a poster is sending you stuff you think is a problem, you can contact the mods. Otherwise it's weird to bring random stuff up in a thread that doesn't refer to it.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:24 pm

pretty easy to lookup. at abraham lincoln university, if you feel you were graded on your exam unfairly, you can pay the school $10 and they will get another professor to review your exam.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:32 pm

Not relevant to this thread. Bring it up elsewhere if you're concerned.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Alive97

Bronze

Post by Alive97 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:30 am

I would apply if I were you, to some reaches, targets and safeties. If you don't get in a real good school you'll get a great scholarship to somewhere.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:39 am

Then don't let a user have his brand as his username? Dude makes his school relevant every time he posts.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:50 am

Other people post with branded/school tars. If they start promoting ALU that's one thing, but they never have.

sjp200

Bronze

Post by sjp200 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:17 am

I don't see why a second tier school is a problem but with a 160 you're not really hitting the top of the second tier. Ideally, if you are looking to get into big law you want to be hitting at least to 30, maybe 35 if you graduate top of your class or really dedicated to making some magic happen. Unless you go into IP, then your prospects at low 2nd and 3rd tier schools are almost unknown, but I'd imagine they aren't terribly bleak

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”