Apply to Boston ED now or wait until Dec LSAT? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
87mm

Bronze

Apply to Boston ED now or wait until Dec LSAT?

Post by 87mm » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:13 pm

i am currently scheduled for my final LSAT retake in December.

As it stands I am a non traditional applicant:
- Age 28(in a month)
- Asian/Hispanic other (mostly Asian)
- GPA: 3.65 aerospace engineering from top 5 engineering school (ranked 2nd in aerospace)
- LSAT 160. (Avg or around 162-163, first diagnostic was a 145ish)
- Masters degree with full scholly in engineering overseas in Japan
- 1 year aerospace work
- 1.5 years (still working here) automotive development/talent rotational program at top foreign brand.

I am interested in patent law. Looking to make an economically beneficial decision. I am hoping for market(ish) salary afterwards, because I am not looking to put myself this far in debt (with no repayment ability) in my 30s.

Ideally I would like to work/live in California or Florida. Boston is a nice possibility too. The Florida market seems dead for IP and I can't find any information on how tough it is to get an IP job there. I have ties to Florida and California (family and living in Florida, family in California)

Californians expensive and I don't think I am competitive for ucla, uc Irvine or usc at the moment.

Boston would be a reach but it has a strong tech market. I have a lot of family in New England and Boston could be a good place to be. Their ED program gives a full scholarship too.

Would applying ED to Boston be beneficial in my situation? If they reject my eD would they look at my next LSAT?

Thank you

boslaw56

New

Re: Apply to Boston ED now or wait until Dec LSAT?

Post by boslaw56 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:41 pm

Post Removed.
Last edited by boslaw56 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:07 pm

I'd focus on December LSAT. BU doesn't really seem to make that much sense for you and applying ED is just a waste at this point since you'd surely be rolled over to RD (even then, your numbers are weak).

Drill drill drill PT PT PT.

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:27 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I guess ill keep the drilling. Ended up taking a prepcourse this time around. The instructor suggested less PTing and more refinement of my thought process through drilling, prephrasing, and writing out why other answers are wrong etc.

Hoping for 3-5 points minimum above my average. Seems possible.

charlesriver

New

Post by charlesriver » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:04 pm

try reading a patent first and imagine yourself writing one. Invest if you'd like that type of work as your career. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:00 pm

BU on a full ride likely won't happen with that LSAT, but it's a pretty great deal if you can get it.

Definitely retake.

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:11 pm

I think my plan of action is to take a preptest this weekend and see if I am close to where I want to be or if I am still stuck in my plateau. If I dont see noticeable improvements, I will delay LSAT to Feb and consider applying next cycle. But I will apply BU ED and hopefully luck out. After the Feb Lsat I can apply to other schools if my score is stellar. Otherwise, I will get more work experience and take the patent bar... heck maybe get some patent agent experience or patent clerk work.

I can also apply to UF if I absolutely must go to law school this year at all costs...

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:47 pm

87mm wrote: if I absolutely must go to law school this year at all costs...
Law school (especially at all costs) is never the only option.

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:18 pm

Appreciate the feedback.

I decided to apply ED to see if it sticks. I feel ED acceptance is highly unlikely.

One thing I noticed is I did not list my December LSAT on the application. I am still debating delaying to february for a better score. Because I am still registered, should I inform the school that I am registered for december? Would that cause the ED application to be rolled into RD or outright cancelled?

Unfortunately it does not bode well that I overlooked a small point on my application if I am considering law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”