What do "ties" to a city/region actually mean and does it really matter? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rose.1070

New

What do "ties" to a city/region actually mean and does it really matter?

Post by rose.1070 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:30 pm

Last edited by rose.1070 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attrition

New

Re: What do "ties" to a city/region actually mean and does it really matter?

Post by Attrition » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:51 pm

I'm a 1l but I largely picked based on location. Look at the schools you are applying to and where the alumni are - emory's class is mainly staying in georgia and around atlanta with some of the top 15% going to less tie sensitive markets for big law (NYC) or back home. UT is all texas, USC can get you a good job in socal, etc. I'm another OH person and the lawyers in chicago i've talked to have said that being a midwesterner and moving to chicago makes sense and they wouldn't question that.

The alum base is going to matter for getting a job and more than that I think people want to make sure you aren't just going to up and move home. Law school transparency will give you some sexy stats to look at and help you put this in perspective for the schools you are looking at, but you need to read into the numbers and talk to attorneys practicing where you want to be. If that really is up in the air then maybe just pick a school that is king of it's legal market and plan to stay there.

Also, from what I've heard seattle is crazy insular so if you mean washington - probably a good shot but if you mean wisconsin, I'd be a bit worried.

rose.1070

New

Post by rose.1070 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:03 pm

Last edited by rose.1070 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:47 pm

Ties really mean the ability to convince an employer why you're interested in the city/region. Going to law school somewhere and networking well can help establish ties, but you will be facing an uphill battle, especially in the Pacific Northwest which is well-known for being very insular.

I want to also caution your career goals. There simply are not that many biglaw jobs (like less than 20 per year) in Seattle and you will be competing with people from T14 schools, making your odds of getting a biglaw job in Seattle low from UW, even if you manage to do well enough at UW to get in the door to interview for the few biglaw jobs.

Unfortunately, your backup plan, IP, exists mostly at biglaw firms and boutiques that require biglaw credentials or strong science background. It appears based on your posting history that you have (or will get) a BS in Biology and unfortunately that degree is not enough to give you a boost. Other people are better informed than I on IP law, but for life sciences, I think you need an MS or a Phd to be a desirable candidate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”