How much can a high GPA make up for a low LSAT? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Nebby

Diamond

Re: How much can a high GPA make up for a low LSAT?

Post by Nebby » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:10 pm

Generally wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Generally wrote:
AfrocentricAsian wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:I'd also caution you pursuing law school without first confirming that you have the reasoning skills to score in the 160's. Law school exams are not "knowledge-based" tests where you memorize and regurgitate -- they're reasoning tests with a dash of memorization.
:roll:
Why are you rolling your eyes to that?
Because doing well on the LSAT doesn't mean you'll do well on a law school exam, and vice versa, because they're two different type of tests. Or perhaps KCDC is just being sarcastic and not very good at it.
In general ok, but don't you think there may be an issue at top schools if you are unable to break 150s on the LSAT? That says you aren't very good at reading comprehension or logical arguments, and I have to think that would carry over a bit to law school exams, where you are graded in relation to people at top schools who are good at those things.
Your LSAT score has more to do with your ability and time to practice the LSAT, then it does with your reading comprehension or logical reasoning skills. Your LSAT isn't a good representation of your own comprehension and reasoning skills. Just watch the LSAT forum, everyone that improves there score does so because they practice and drill the LSAT, but their innate comprehension and reasoning skills are the same.

This topic has been talked on ad nauseum so I'll leave it at that.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:13 pm

bpolley0 wrote:According to Lsac, "The correlation between LSAT scores and first-year law school grades varies from one law school to another (as does the correlation between GPA and first-year law school grades). During 2010, validity studies were conducted for 189 law schools. Correlations between LSAT scores and first-year law school grades ranged from .12 to .56 (median is .36). The correlations between UGPA and first-year law grades ranged from .09 to .45 (median is .28). However, correlations between LSAT scores combined with undergraduate grade-point averages and first-year law school grades ranged from .30 to .62 (median is .48)."
In layman's terms, anything below .5 is worthless.

PrayFor170

Bronze

Post by PrayFor170 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:29 pm

I honestly think that the reason I am not performing as well as I would like is because of the subject matter on some of the questions. For instance, on a reading comprehension passage that deals with the law or science, I can complete the passage in under 9 minutes, with a -0 score. However, when presented with something that deals with art or music, I get bored and do not perform as well. In any case, I know that this isn't an excuse, and is something that I need to work on. There's also the fact that I'm not a fan of standardized tests, but, again, this isn't an excuse.
It seems to me you haven't done much study on LSAT yet. I don't think anyone enjoys taking standardized tests but your problems are pretty common among starters of LSAT. Just read the Bibles/Manhattan/7sage and start drilling, and see whether you can improve.

jepper

Bronze

Post by jepper » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:33 pm

Nebby wrote:
bpolley0 wrote:According to Lsac, "The correlation between LSAT scores and first-year law school grades varies from one law school to another (as does the correlation between GPA and first-year law school grades). During 2010, validity studies were conducted for 189 law schools. Correlations between LSAT scores and first-year law school grades ranged from .12 to .56 (median is .36). The correlations between UGPA and first-year law grades ranged from .09 to .45 (median is .28). However, correlations between LSAT scores combined with undergraduate grade-point averages and first-year law school grades ranged from .30 to .62 (median is .48)."
I still don't understand what any of this means. Care to clarify?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:42 pm

jepper wrote:
Nebby wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson ... oefficient

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:56 pm

MrSam wrote:I have seen the opposite asked, "how much can a high LSAT make up for a low GPA?" I am in the other boat. While my GPA is relatively high, I can't seem to get my LSAT above a 155. I've never been a strong standardized test taker, but when it comes to knowledge-based exams, I can soak in the information and apply it with ease. I feel that my not-so-great LSAT score is going to keep my out of the top 20, or even the top 50 schools. If it matters, here is a bit of information about myself:

I graduated from a state school with a degree in Psychology. My final, cumulative GPA was a 3.95. I didn't take the easiest courses, nor did I take the most difficult courses - instead, I took a few courses in criminal and constitutional law, and courses that allowed me to get certified in certain fields (e.g. I am a certified scuba diver, and will possibly finish my rescue diver's certification within the next 6 months).
Again, I've never been a strong standardized test taker. My SAT score was just average, possibly slightly above average, but nothing worth writing home about.

I have a few questions:

1) Will my relatively high GPA make up for my low LSAT score?

2) Should I take another year off, and spend the next 6+ months studying for the LSAT? I will take the December 2015 exam, if that doesn't go well, I will take the June exam. I've been told that schools would question why I took so much time off. If I do decide to go this route, I will likely conduct volunteer work in another nation - not as an "excuse," but because I have always planned on doing so, but could never find the time.

3) Does it matter that I graduated from a state school?

4) This question isn't directly related to admissions, but, am I better off applying to a school that is ranked high, nationally, but low in the field that I intend on practicing in? Or, a school that is ranker lower, nationally (say, mid 70's) and higher in the field that I intend on practicing in (e.g. top 10 for trial advocacy)?

As always, any advice is appreciated.
1) Short answer, probably not. If your LSAT was a 163 or something, I could see you slipping into t-14 without much hassle. A 155 won't get you anywhere sadly.

2) I'd recommend taking time off and getting some work experience. Or, if you can, take time off and just study for the LSAT until you can do your best. However, with a 3.95, I'd say consider graduate school instead of law school

3) No.

4) No, always shoot for the best school. Nobody cares about your school's number 1 ranking in "protection of cats." After you get into the best school you can, start weighing things like scholarship offers, location in which you'd like to practice, type of job you want, portability of your degree.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:22 pm

Nebby wrote:
jepper wrote:
Nebby wrote:
The LSAT has much more predictive value than UGPA, but this is more related to UGPA's being useless unless they are from the same school in the same major than the LSAT being a good predictor.

bpolley0

Bronze

Post by bpolley0 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:33 pm

Last edited by bpolley0 on Fri May 20, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:15 pm

Lol at GPA's "predictive values" being the justification of evaluating a person's academic worthiness based on GPA. There are three kind of lies, lies, damned lies and statistics. Even if one is not bothered to dissect their methodology using statistical reasoning, one could easily argue that the ranking of undergrad institution, major and accumulated credit hours each have strong predictive values too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bpolley0

Bronze

Post by bpolley0 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:17 pm

Last edited by bpolley0 on Fri May 20, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:17 pm

bpolley0 wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:
Nebby wrote:
jepper wrote:
Nebby wrote:
The LSAT has much more predictive value than UGPA, but this is more related to UGPA's being useless unless they are from the same school in the same major than the LSAT being a good predictor.
I agree with you; however, statistically speaking and according to this study, it looks like neither of them are very reliable. I would imagine if you did the top 50 schools the correlation would be higher.
In part of this seminar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_xHsce57c, there's a discussion about LSAT differentials of greater than 5 points. The basic point is that the correlation of LSAT to 1L grades is misleading because it's virtually 0 when students are within a few points of each other, but an extremely good predictor once you get close to a 10 point distinction. I mention this because it is at least reliable as Vegas picking NFL teams if we're speaking about extreme reverse splitters at a given school.

bpolley0

Bronze

Post by bpolley0 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:37 pm

Last edited by bpolley0 on Fri May 20, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrSam

Bronze

Post by MrSam » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:43 pm

Edit: Computer went funky on me, ignore this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrSam

Bronze

Post by MrSam » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:44 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:
MrSam wrote:I have seen the opposite asked, "how much can a high LSAT make up for a low GPA?" I am in the other boat. While my GPA is relatively high, I can't seem to get my LSAT above a 155. I've never been a strong standardized test taker, but when it comes to knowledge-based exams, I can soak in the information and apply it with ease. I feel that my not-so-great LSAT score is going to keep my out of the top 20, or even the top 50 schools. If it matters, here is a bit of information about myself:

I graduated from a state school with a degree in Psychology. My final, cumulative GPA was a 3.95. I didn't take the easiest courses, nor did I take the most difficult courses - instead, I took a few courses in criminal and constitutional law, and courses that allowed me to get certified in certain fields (e.g. I am a certified scuba diver, and will possibly finish my rescue diver's certification within the next 6 months).
Again, I've never been a strong standardized test taker. My SAT score was just average, possibly slightly above average, but nothing worth writing home about.

I have a few questions:

2) Should I take another year off, and spend the next 6+ months studying for the LSAT? I will take the December 2015 exam, if that doesn't go well, I will take the June exam. I've been told that schools would question why I took so much time off. If I do decide to go this route, I will likely conduct volunteer work in another nation - not as an "excuse," but because I have always planned on doing so, but could never find the time.

4) This question isn't directly related to admissions, but, am I better off applying to a school that is ranked high, nationally, but low in the field that I intend on practicing in? Or, a school that is ranker lower, nationally (say, mid 70's) and higher in the field that I intend on practicing in (e.g. top 10 for trial advocacy)?

1) Short answer, probably not. If your LSAT was a 163 or something, I could see you slipping into t-14 without much hassle. A 155 won't get you anywhere sadly.

2) I'd recommend taking time off and getting some work experience. Or, if you can, take time off and just study for the LSAT until you can do your best. However, with a 3.95, I'd say consider graduate school instead of law school

3) No.

4) No, always shoot for the best school. Nobody cares about your school's number 1 ranking in "protection of cats." After you get into the best school you can, start weighing things like scholarship offers, location in which you'd like to practice, type of job you want, portability of your degree.
Thanks for the advice. I am aiming for a 165+ on the LSAT, but the fact that I have only reached 155 is starting to bother me. I hate the idea of taking another year off. However, after thinking about it, I am better off taking an additional year off if it means getting into at least a T20, thus allowing me to actually pay off my loans in a fair amount of time.

MrSam

Bronze

Post by MrSam » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:45 pm

benwyatt wrote:
MrSam wrote:With that said, I have one last question. I have already asked for my letters of recommendation. Assuming that I do take an additional year off, is it okay to have the letters on file? I was informed that some schools will see older letters as "outdated." In any case, I can't imagine that a letter written a year prior would be considered "outdated" but I figured I would ask anyways.
You're still completely fine using those letters, no need to worry.
That's great news, thank you!

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:20 am

MrSam wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:

I have a few questions:

3) No.

Thanks for the advice. I am aiming for a 165+ on the LSAT, but the fact that I have only reached 155 is starting to bother me. I hate the idea of taking another year off. However, after thinking about it, I am better off taking an additional year off if it means getting into at least a T20, thus allowing me to actually pay off my loans in a fair amount of time.
I'd be very wary of that "t20" distinction. In reality, after the t-14 (and arguments can be made that a few schools aren't pulling their weight anymore) the chance of landing big-law drops significantly. I'd check out LST if I were you - it shows how many students get 'desired' outcomes coming out of law school, and at which school.

MrSam

Bronze

Post by MrSam » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:23 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:
MrSam wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:

I have a few questions:

3) No.

I'd be very wary of that "t20" distinction. In reality, after the t-14 (and arguments can be made that a few schools aren't pulling their weight anymore) the chance of landing big-law drops significantly. I'd check out LST if I were you - it shows how many students get 'desired' outcomes coming out of law school, and at which school.
Again, thanks for the advice. While big-law would be great, it's not my primary field of interest. I have been interested in applying for JAG for some time. A friend of mine spoke to a recruiter a few months ago. Apparently graduating from a T25 was enough to get him in. Either way, my primary aim is to get into a T14. However, if I can save myself an additional year off (in addition to the one that I will already be taking), get a generous scholarship from a T25, and get accepted for the JAG program, i'll be more than happy to go to a T25. Either way, I am aware that going to a T25 doesn't guarantee me admission into the JAG program, but it certainly improves my chances over anything below the top 25.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:45 pm

ihenry wrote:Lol at GPA's "predictive values" being the justification of evaluating a person's academic worthiness based on GPA. There are three kind of lies, lies, damned lies and statistics. Even if one is not bothered to dissect their methodology using statistical reasoning, one could easily argue that the ranking of undergrad institution, major and accumulated credit hours each have strong predictive values too.
I mean that's why the GPA and LSAT are there. Even if schools were just in it for the rankings, they're a factor in the USNews rankings because of their predictive value so by extension they're a factor in individual admission decisions because they have at least some predictive value.

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:01 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
ihenry wrote:Lol at GPA's "predictive values" being the justification of evaluating a person's academic worthiness based on GPA. There are three kind of lies, lies, damned lies and statistics. Even if one is not bothered to dissect their methodology using statistical reasoning, one could easily argue that the ranking of undergrad institution, major and accumulated credit hours each have strong predictive values too.
I mean that's why the GPA and LSAT are there. Even if schools were just in it for the rankings, they're a factor in the USNews rankings because of their predictive value so by extension they're a factor in individual admission decisions because they have at least some predictive value.
What I mean is because other factors may have predictive values independent of GPA, they may consider taking them into account too. Currently GPA, alongside with LSAT, are the predominant, almost the only factors in admissions.

Statu$studios

New

Post by Statu$studios » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:21 pm

I went 149 with 3.93 GPA. Non-URM. No T14, but WL at two T20s, admitted to one T20--but went to a lower ranked school, then transferred into another T20 after 1L for unrelated personal reasons.

So, it can make up for it a little bit. But, even if you go to a school above your baseline credentials, you still end up thinking you could have committed more time towards the LSAT.

That being said, I feel good about my path. But, I wouldn't recommend it if you know you will kick yourself later with "what ifs" or incur debt you're not comfortable with.

Also,more on point to the GPA/LSAT discussion, I went to a T40 undergrad with a fairly-low median GPA. (Someone brought this up before I think)

Statu$studios

New

Post by Statu$studios » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:26 pm

Statu$studios wrote:I went 149 with 3.93 GPA. Non-URM. No T14, but WL at two T20s, admitted to one T20--but went to a lower ranked school, then transferred into another T20 after 1L for unrelated personal reasons.

So, it can make up for it a little bit. But, even if you go to a school above your baseline credentials, you still end up thinking you could have committed more time towards the LSAT.

That being said, I feel good about my path. But, I wouldn't recommend it if you know you will kick yourself later with "what ifs" or incur debt you're not comfortable with.

Also,more on point to the GPA/LSAT discussion, I went to a T40 undergrad with a fairly-low median GPA. (Someone brought this up before I think)
But I totally agree with someone above--don't fall in love with the "top 20" distinction. I was more just saying that "punching above your weight class" can be done to a certain extent, with regard to rankings. I would have stayed at my "lower ranked" school if not for a necessary move I had to do.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MrSam

Bronze

Post by MrSam » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:54 pm

Statu$studios wrote:I went 149 with 3.93 GPA. Non-URM. No T14, but WL at two T20s, admitted to one T20--but went to a lower ranked school, then transferred into another T20 after 1L for unrelated personal reasons.

Thanks, Statu$studios. Am I reading your post right? You are a non-URM who was admitted to a T20 with a 3.93 GPA and 149 LSAT? If so that gives me a ton of hope. In any case, I am going to commit the maximum amount of time possible to the LSAT - I'll know it's time to stop studying and take the test when I am about to lose my sanity from studying?

Do you think there were other factors that contributed to your T20 acceptance? Where you went for UG, work-experience, etc.?
I keep hearing from family members who graduated from T14 schools that I shouldn't bother applying to a T25 without at least a 160. I don't mind busting my butt for the next few months, but knowing that there's a chance of getting in with lower than a 160 would ease the stress - Note: That's not to say that I am going to aim low.

Stardust84

New

Post by Stardust84 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:51 pm

If you're already at mid 150s I don't see how cracking the 160s isnt totally doable. Were not talking 170s here. Studying for the LSAT I took every PT of the modern era and made over a 20 point jump in my score and it took every bit of working hard every day at it for 5 months. And I made progress throughout to the very end. Have you put in this sort of work yet? If not, now is not the time to give up before you have hit your potential. If you really want to go to law school you ought re-frame the whole project to committing to do whatever is necessary, including taking a year off if need be.

Statu$studios

New

Post by Statu$studios » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:52 pm

MrSam wrote:

Thanks, Statu$studios. Am I reading your post right? You are a non-URM who was admitted to a T20 with a 3.93 GPA and 149 LSAT? If so that gives me a ton of hope. In any case, I am going to commit the maximum amount of time possible to the LSAT - I'll know it's time to stop studying and take the test when I am about to lose my sanity from studying?

Do you think there were other factors that contributed to your T20 acceptance? Where you went for UG, work-experience, etc.?
I keep hearing from family members who graduated from T14 schools that I shouldn't bother applying to a T25 without at least a 160. I don't mind busting my butt for the next few months, but knowing that there's a chance of getting in with lower than a 160 would ease the stress - Note: That's not to say that I am going to aim low.
Yeah, that's all correct. And yes, I imagine the different committees considered my "softs" (as I think is the lingo here goes) were relatively strong.

Speaking in general terms, my undergrad was a top-40 school, heavy research-oriented school, with little grade inflation as compared to other schools. I was a college athlete at a successful program. I chaired a couple of campus organizations, each of which became successful under my tenure. I won awards in my sport, for my class work, and for my organizational work. I did some research in political science that challenged a few basic assumptions about party-ID, and backed it with a very big statistical study.

Work-wise, I worked in the offices of a local nonprofit during my first few college summers until they let me do real substantive work. Then, I got a big government internship overseas where I lucked out and got a boss who gave me work above my pay-grade. Then, I interned in Congress and ended up doing good enough work to earn a rec letter that wasn't broad and generic.

Also, the admissions counselors I talked to back then thought it was interesting that I had a minimally successful rap career and a completely separate stint advising and writing-for a friend's equally successful country band.

As far as background--not a URM, but I was a first-in-family to go to 4 years of college. I had a few big family events not worth mentioning here, but suffice it to say that my family overcame and preserved in many ways.

So yeah, all that stuff above got me in the door. I got into one (and eventually two via the transfer I mentioned) of the better T20 players where you're looking.
However, all my advice is tempered by what everyone above is saying. Only consider my path if you can handle the finances (something I fortunately could), you're ok with the non-T14 big law number disparity, and you won't kill yourself with "what ifs". Also, note that waiting to attend law school doesn't hurt your employment prospects or admission chances--as people on this site often say.

But, for what it's worth, yes--I convinced schools with 165-168 LSAT medians that they should take a 149 LSAT

MrSam

Bronze

Post by MrSam » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:51 pm

Statu$studios wrote:
MrSam wrote:

Yeah, that's all correct. And yes, I imagine the different committees considered my "softs" (as I think is the lingo here goes) were relatively strong.

Speaking in general terms, my undergrad was a top-40 school, heavy research-oriented school, with little grade inflation as compared to other schools. I was a college athlete at a successful program. I chaired a couple of campus organizations, each of which became successful under my tenure. I won awards in my sport, for my class work, and for my organizational work. I did some research in political science that challenged a few basic assumptions about party-ID, and backed it with a very big statistical study.

Work-wise, I worked in the offices of a local nonprofit during my first few college summers until they let me do real substantive work. Then, I got a big government internship overseas where I lucked out and got a boss who gave me work above my pay-grade. Then, I interned in Congress and ended up doing good enough work to earn a rec letter that wasn't broad and generic.

Also, the admissions counselors I talked to back then thought it was interesting that I had a minimally successful rap career and a completely separate stint advising and writing-for a friend's equally successful country band.

As far as background--not a URM, but I was a first-in-family to go to 4 years of college. I had a few big family events not worth mentioning here, but suffice it to say that my family overcame and preserved in many ways.

So yeah, all that stuff above got me in the door. I got into one (and eventually two via the transfer I mentioned) of the better T20 players where you're looking.
However, all my advice is tempered by what everyone above is saying. Only consider my path if you can handle the finances (something I fortunately could), you're ok with the non-T14 big law number disparity, and you won't kill yourself with "what ifs". Also, note that waiting to attend law school doesn't hurt your employment prospects or admission chances--as people on this site often say.

But, for what it's worth, yes--I convinced schools with 165-168 LSAT medians that they should take a 149 LSAT
Thanks a ton for that informative post. While not in the same boat you were in, I think some of the work that I did during UG should at least get the attention of some of the T20's.
Again, I certainly didn't do as much as you, but I did participate in research and conducted legal research under an instructors (minimal) supervision. I acted as a club's vice president and helped bring the dying club back to life - we focused mainly on community service, and took on projects in healthcare. Aside from that, I focused most of my time on hobbies (rescue diving, among other things), my internship at a law firm (public sector), and my academics, including research. Hopefully one, if not a few, of those things catch some attention.

Again, thank you. You are certainly right, taking a year off wont kill me. However, I would really love to start soon.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”