Requesting LOR Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
woc

New

Requesting LOR

Post by woc » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:10 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by woc on Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

benwyatt

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by benwyatt » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:34 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by benwyatt on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Requesting LOR

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:28 pm

I'm going to divert from Ben a bit. It is okay to make your request over the email (some professors are inaccessible by other means). However, it is important that you make yourself available for discussing any developments that have occurred since you last saw them or were in their class. Have a resume ready and maybe a personal statement. Be ready to discuss where you want to go and why (some profs get in depth to personalize the letter to you whereas others have a semi-generic plug and send). I had one professor to whom I just sent my resume and writing sample and some refreshers of who I was as well as one who wanted to meet and discuss my application and recent developments.

as far as timing, a month I think is generally acceptable, though you do need to be considerate. End of year is busy for profs. (finals, projects, etc.). Just keep that in mind and don't be too pushy (you can be more pushy if you were to ask during the summer).

edit: I feel it is necessary to say because you never know with some people, when I say "make yourself available", I don't mean upon their request. I mean that you should offer to meet with them in your email. ie "Can you write a positive letter of recommendation for me? I'd be more than happy to meet with you to discuss this opportunity as well as my resume and my application goals and anything else that can help you, if you would like."
Last edited by lymenheimer on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benwyatt

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by benwyatt » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by benwyatt on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:37 pm

Most of this depends on your relationship with your recommenders. Requesting in-person is a nice gesture, if you can do it, but not necessary. "I'm worried that requesting via e-mail might open the door for my recommenders to decline ..." If you're worried that somebody will decline, that probably doesn't speak highly to his or her quality as a reference.

ETA: Also, L Heimer's advice is spot on about what info to provide.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

woc

New

Post by woc » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:37 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by woc on Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:16 pm

woc wrote:
cbbinnyc wrote:Most of this depends on your relationship with your recommenders. Requesting in-person is a nice gesture, if you can do it, but not necessary. "I'm worried that requesting via e-mail might open the door for my recommenders to decline ..." If you're worried that somebody will decline, that probably doesn't speak highly to his or her quality as a reference.

ETA: Also, L Heimer's advice is spot on about what info to provide.
Thank you, cbbinnyc. I developed decent relationships with my recommenders (took three courses / frequented the office hours of the first; took one course and achieved publication with the help of the second), but it's been a few months since we've spoken. That's why I'm a bit hesitant to ask.
It sounds like they probably know you pretty well. I can't imagine that either would decline, whether you ask them by email or in-person. I've found that people are generally more than willing to write recommendations (including, in a couple non-law school instances, people I hadn't spoken to in over a year), with the obvious caveat that they have to like you . It can require prodding to get them to do it in a timely fashion, sometimes, but any teacher worth their salt will be happy to make a difference in a student's life, especially a student they respect and are familiar with, by giving a recommendation. In the unlikely event that somebody declines, they are either a huge dick or they wouldn't write you a great recommendation anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”