No academic LORs - screwed? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pretzelroll

New

No academic LORs - screwed?

Post by pretzelroll » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi all -

I graduated from college in 2009, and am applying this cycle to law school.

I really didn't decide on this track until the last year or so, and have truly lost touch with all my old professors. I had some good relationships with professors in college, but no real "mentor" or "advisor."

I have two great, solid LORs from employers/colleagues at two different places I've worked since graduating (including one who is a well-regarded law professor), who know me and my intellect/work really well. But I'm wondering if not having a faculty letter is going to be a huge detriment. At this point, I worry that any one of my old professors would have to rack their brains trying to remember me/my work. I'd actually be embarrassed to ask.

Am I okay to proceed with the two employer rec letters? Or should I swallow my pride and get an academic letter even though it might be short and vacuous?

Thoughts greatly appreciated!

monsterman

Bronze

Re: No academic LORs - screwed?

Post by monsterman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:39 pm

I didn't have any faculty recommendations and I did fine. I was in a similar situation and didn't really have any connections with professors. I used two employer letters and one from a football coach...sooo I think it is okay as long as the recommenders actually really know you and can speak about you as a person, and not someone they plug into a boilerplate recommendation letter.

regulartime

Bronze

Post by regulartime » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:19 pm

You'll be fine. I had a solid cycle last year with no academic LOR's. I graduated in 2009 also.

GiantsFan

New

Post by GiantsFan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am

I graduated in 2011. I reached out yesterday to professors who I took multiple classes with and performed well in them. I already received responses back from two of them saying they would give me a great LOR. One of them I haven't seen in 5.5 years. I don't think it would hurt to reach out to a few professors. Just in case you get waitlisted and need more or a school specifically asks for at least one academic. But as others mentioned if the two professional ones you have are solid I would send those before sending the academic ones. Keep the academic ones on standby if you need them.

unsweetened

Silver

Post by unsweetened » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:13 pm

You will be fine. I didn't have any academic LORs and it worked out well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”