Georgetown Early Decision Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NigeranOU

Bronze

Georgetown Early Decision

Post by NigeranOU » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:17 am

Im so stressed out. I was going to apply to all of the schools and ride it out. But i honestly don't care about the scholarships. I'm a AA female, 160, 3.4/3.5, strong softs. will i get in?
Last edited by NigeranOU on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Georgetown Early Decision

Post by TLSModBot » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:22 am

160 is a bit low. I'd strongly recommend retaking the LSAT and applying regular decision along with other schools. For my cycle I retook in December, got 5 points higher and applied in January, and got in that way.

I don't recommend early decision. Apply elsewhere so you have options or negotiating power for scholarships.

Hornet2011

Bronze

Post by Hornet2011 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:04 am

You will care about scholarships when your 200k in debt. Study hard and retake in December

Judgeasaurus_Rex

Bronze

Post by Judgeasaurus_Rex » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:17 am

I've heard that GULC ED is really only advantageous if you are a splitter.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:53 am

Gotta retake. Also, ED'ing is a bad move if you're debt financing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NigeranOU

Bronze

Post by NigeranOU » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:55 am

Rigo wrote:Gotta retake. Also, ED'ing is a bad move if you're debt financing.
I just wanted to know if I would GET IN, money put aside

NigeranOU

Bronze

Post by NigeranOU » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:55 am

Hornet2011 wrote:You will care about scholarships when your 200k in debt. Study hard and retake in December
So I will get in though?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:56 am

Numbers don't help you out at all. EXTREMELY (skeptical) strong softs paired with URM might keep you from being an outright reject.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:46 am

NigeranOU wrote:
Hornet2011 wrote:You will care about scholarships when your 200k in debt. Study hard and retake in December
So I will get in though?
Probably not. What are these "extremely strong" softs? Most people overestimate how good their softs are.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NigeranOU

Bronze

Post by NigeranOU » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:27 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:
So I will get in though?
Probably not. What are these "extremely strong" softs? Most people overestimate how good their softs are.
URM. adverse socioeconomic background. worked throughout undergrad. a bunch of community service (tying that in to my experiences and my the type of law i want to practice) school involvement, personal hardships that I won't elaborate on, strong letters of rec, parents are immigrants

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:44 am

NigeranOU wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:
So I will get in though?
URM. adverse socioeconomic background. worked throughout undergrad. a bunch of community service (tying that in to my experiences and my the type of law i want to practice) school involvement, personal hardships that I won't elaborate on, strong letters of rec, parents are immigrants
I sympathize with the difficulties you overcame to get to this point. Hopefully the experiences serve you well as you move forward in the legal field. It is unlikely they will significantly boost your admissions prospects.

Retake in December. Three more points will put you in a good position for acceptance. Five points and you are looking at scholarship money.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawadmin

New

Post by lawadmin » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:46 am

NigeranOU wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:
So I will get in though?
Please don't take this personally.
Most applicants think they have "extremely strong softs." Almost all don't understand that most applicants (especially at a T14) are highly credentialed to extremely highly credentialed. Look at the Entering class stories at Georgetown (and many other schools) to see the quality of students across the board, particularly the "extremely strong softs" ones that they tend to brag about. You're right that your personal statement, expertly crafted, will be compelling to AdComms, but I'd put your softs closer to a 6 on a 10 point scale, and most of that owing to URM status).

omd3117

New

Post by omd3117 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:05 pm

lawadmin wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:
So I will get in though?
Most applicants think they have "extremely strong softs." Almost all don't understand that most applicants (especially at a T14) are highly credentialed to extremely highly credentialed. Look at the Entering class stories at Georgetown (and many other schools) to see the quality of students across the board, particularly the "extremely strong softs" ones that they tend to brag about. You're right that your personal statement, expertly crafted, will be compelling to AdComms, but I'd put your softs closer to a 6 on a 10 point scale, and most of that owing to URM status).

I'm asking because I'm curious, and partially to help out OP, what do you guys think would merit "extremely" good softs?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:13 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:15 pm

mornincounselor wrote:
omd3117 wrote:
lawadmin wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:
So I will get in though?

I'm asking because I'm curious, and partially to help out OP, what do you guys think would merit "extremely" good softs?

There's a good list somewhere--

Olympic gold medalist, professional NFL player, platinum-selling rock star, creator of the cancer vaccine, leader of a foreign country.
Hey, don't forget the "professional actress" Yale accepted two years back.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:41 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Troianii

Silver

Post by Troianii » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:34 pm

Judgeasaurus_Rex wrote:I've heard that GULC ED is really only advantageous if you are a splitter.
+1

In general there is a small but noticeable ED bonus at Michigan, a pretty big bonus at UVA (but mostly for reverse splitters), an enormous boost at Georgetown for splitters (non splitters and reverse splitters seem to actually be penalized, statistically speaking, when applying ED to Georgetown).

So no, I would not apply ED to Georgetown. Statistically you won't be getting any boost.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kangaroo430

New

Post by kangaroo430 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:18 pm

Troianii wrote:
Judgeasaurus_Rex wrote:I've heard that GULC ED is really only advantageous if you are a splitter.
+1

In general there is a small but noticeable ED bonus at Michigan, a pretty big bonus at UVA (but mostly for reverse splitters), an enormous boost at Georgetown for splitters (non splitters and reverse splitters seem to actually be penalized, statistically speaking, when applying ED to Georgetown).

So no, I would not apply ED to Georgetown. Statistically you won't be getting any boost.
Ummm... do you consider a 166/3.33 a splitter..? I am considering ED to Gtown as well.

Billy Madison

Bronze

Post by Billy Madison » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:08 pm

kangaroo430 wrote:
Troianii wrote:
+1

Ummm... do you consider a 166/3.33 a splitter..? I am considering ED to Gtown as well.
No, 168+ would be a splitter. <25th GPA + >75th LSAT = splitter

Troianii

Silver

Post by Troianii » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:34 pm

kangaroo430 wrote:
Troianii wrote:
+1

... maybe but probably not? In general, the idea of a splitter is that they have an LSAT above the school's 75th percentile and a GPA below their 25th. Your GPA is below their 25th, but your LSAT is just under their 50th.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/gulc/2014/

Troianii

Silver

Post by Troianii » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:35 pm

gunton224 wrote:
kangaroo430 wrote:
Troianii wrote:
+1

No, 168+ would be a splitter. <25th GPA + >75th LSAT = splitter
oh shoot. Didn't check to see if someone already got it. Well done mate.

BrazilBandit

Bronze

Post by BrazilBandit » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:39 pm

Very unlikely that you'd get in, and even if you did you shouldn't go at sticker. Retake - you're an URM, so we are not talking about going from 160 to 170... a 165 could already make a big difference in your case.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”