How do law schools view a gap in undergrad education? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jamesbond

New

How do law schools view a gap in undergrad education?

Post by jamesbond » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:04 pm

I think I’m in an unusual applicant situation. I applied for undergraduate graduation from school in 2011, and I walked in our graduation with a few classes to go. Now I know this is normal, but I never completed those courses. I believe I have 116 units out 120 completed. Well, I got a junior paralegal job at a Vault top 25 SoCal firm, and I’ve been working here ever since.

I’m thinking of applying in an upcoming cycle, (obviously after completing the last 4 units), and I’m wondering what type of applicant I’ll be viewed as. Am I considered a non-traditional applicant? Will I get that boost? I have about 5 years of legal work experience, but it’s technically not after undergrad.

Also, this may create an opportunity for me to boost my GPA with more courses, won’t it? Can I take 5 extra classes and raise my GPA because I technically haven’t graduated yet? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: How do law schools view a gap in undergrad education?

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:29 pm

jamesbond wrote:I think I’m in an unusual applicant situation. I applied for undergraduate graduation from school in 2011, and I walked in our graduation with a few classes to go. Now I know this is normal, but I never completed those courses. I believe I have 116 units out 120 completed. Well, I got a junior paralegal job at a Vault top 25 SoCal firm, and I’ve been working here ever since.

I’m thinking of applying in an upcoming cycle, (obviously after completing the last 4 units), and I’m wondering what type of applicant I’ll be viewed as. Am I considered a non-traditional applicant? Will I get that boost? I have about 5 years of legal work experience, but it’s technically not after undergrad.

Also, this may create an opportunity for me to boost my GPA with more courses, won’t it? Can I take 5 extra classes and raise my GPA because I technically haven’t graduated yet? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I actually have no useful information for you, I'm just curious...Were there no stipulations that in order to walk, you had to complete your coursework within a certain timeframe post-walk? I know there are sometimes credit-stipulations (maximum of 6-12 over the next semester/summer) but I thought it was frequent to have a time frame as well.

jamesbond

New

Post by jamesbond » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:58 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
jamesbond wrote:I think I’m in an unusual applicant situation. I applied for undergraduate graduation from school in 2011, and I walked in our graduation with a few classes to go. Now I know this is normal, but I never completed those courses. I believe I have 116 units out 120 completed. Well, I got a junior paralegal job at a Vault top 25 SoCal firm, and I’ve been working here ever since.

I actually have no useful information for you, I'm just curious...Were there no stipulations that in order to walk, you had to complete your coursework within a certain timeframe post-walk? I know there are sometimes credit-stipulations (maximum of 6-12 over the next semester/summer) but I thought it was frequent to have a time frame as well.
I’m not sure if we had some sort of stipulation, but my situation is actually even more complicated than I first explained. I actually took the classes that I needed to graduate and have my 120, but I wasn’t added to the class rosters by the professors (the classes were full and I attempted to add them). I was told to retroactively add the courses after the semester, but due to my laziness and procrastination, I never did. I’m in the process of trying to retroactively add one of the courses right now, but I’m not sure it will be added to my transcript. The class can’t have been taken more than 5 years ago, and I took the course in 2010. So I’m technically too late to add them. We’ll see.

But yeah, if there was a stipulation (which I’m not aware there was), I would’ve adhered by it because technically I had already finished the units necessary.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:05 pm

jamesbond wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
I’m not sure if we had some sort of stipulation, but my situation is actually even more complicated than I first explained. I actually took the classes that I needed to graduate and have my 120, but I wasn’t added to the class rosters by the professors (the classes were full and I attempted to add them). I was told to retroactively add the courses after the semester, but due to my laziness and procrastination, I never did. I’m in the process of trying to retroactively add one of the courses right now, but I’m not sure it will be added to my transcript. The class can’t have been taken more than 5 years ago, and I took the course in 2010. So I’m technically too late to add them. We’ll see.

But yeah, if there was a stipulation (which I’m not aware there was), I would’ve adhered by it because technically I had already finished the units necessary.
Oh I see. Even if you did fulfill the requirement (though you weren't enrolled), if there was a stipulation I'm not sure it would have counted due to it not being in the records. If you are able to retroactively get the classes fixed, then the stipulation should be filled (my basic assumptions). If there's no stipulation then you'll obviously be good to complete the courses whenever, you'll just have to do it before you matriculate. I'm no admissions pro, and idk how much of a bump non-trad applicants get, if any, but if you have to retake the class, you'll likely be looked at like a normal graduate who took 5 years between UG + LS, just with a weird-ass PS/addendum. I think that your situation is easily enough explained in an addendum or something to be of negligible impact in the negative direction, but I wouldn't think your GPA would be boosted by more than hundredths of a point, but feel free to do the math on it. I still think LSAT+GPA will be king and your 5 years WE will give you a slight nod, especially if you have Northwestern numbers (from what I've gathered on this forum).

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:21 pm

I don't think this will have any appreciable effect on your application.

Also, you're not going to get some non-traditional boost. That's not really a thing. Non-trad applicants who have extraordinary backgrounds might get a boost, but not simply for the sake of being non-traditional. You were a paralegal for a few years before law school. That's pretty standard stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jamesbond

New

Post by jamesbond » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Clemenceau wrote:

Also, you're not going to get some non-traditional boost. That's not really a thing. Non-trad applicants who have extraordinary backgrounds might get a boost, but not simply for the sake of being non-traditional. You were a paralegal for a few years before law school. That's pretty standard stuff.
Makes sense. How about the GPA boost? Along with the 2 course required, could I also take say 3 more courses to raise my GPA? I know anything after you're awarded your degree won't be considered by LSAC, but I don't have my degree yet. So will these course help me?

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:28 pm

jamesbond wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:

Makes sense. How about the GPA boost? Along with the 2 course required, could I also take say 3 more courses to raise my GPA? I know anything after you're awarded your degree won't be considered by LSAC, but I don't have my degree yet. So will these course help me?
I'm not an expert on lsac grade policies or anything, but I do agree with your line of thought. They should all count.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”