Application Process Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BigBear

New

Application Process

Post by BigBear » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi All, I know this a really newbie question of me to ask, but could someone clarify how the actual application process works?

I understand that in order to apply you need to take the LSAT, submit transcripts to CAS and have your personal statement prepared as well but what is the process once you click apply on the LSAC website under a specific school? Are recommendations submitted before the application becomes available? Will you know the topic of school specific essays before the applications is released? Is there general information that they require you to provide that isn't already included in your LSAC profile? How long does the application process take from start to finish assuming you have all of the things I mentioned before prepared?

I simply want to get my application in as soon as possible and don't want to be blindsided by an online application that takes a week to complete. Sorry if this has been asked before I couldn't find the answer anywhere on the forum. Any help would be appreciated.

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Application Process

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:08 pm

BigBear wrote:Hi All, I know this a really newbie question of me to ask, but could someone clarify how the actual application process works?

I understand that in order to apply you need to take the LSAT, submit transcripts to CAS and have your personal statement prepared as well but what is the process once you click apply on the LSAC website under a specific school? Are recommendations submitted before the application becomes available? Will you know the topic of school specific essays before the applications is released? Is there general information that they require you to provide that isn't already included in your LSAC profile? How long does the application process take from start to finish assuming you have all of the things I mentioned before prepared?

I simply want to get my application in as soon as possible and don't want to be blindsided by an online application that takes a week to complete. Sorry if this has been asked before I couldn't find the answer anywhere on the forum. Any help would be appreciated.
1) Play around on the LSAC website. Being familiar with it and its contents will answer 90% of "newbie" applicants' questions.
2) Duke Law's application is open. Go start it and take a look at the format. Not each school will be identical in substance, but the format will be the same.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:10 pm

They take like ten minutes to complete

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:14 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:They take like ten minutes to complete
This. And if I remember correctly, LSAC saves all the demographic and basic info and auto submits it to every app. All you need to do that may take some time is the essays.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:22 pm

Also...Why are you even worrying about this? You aren't planning to apply until over a year from now. The process doesn't take a year and you don't need hand-holding through it, it is that simple. When you actually make an LSAC account and begin the process, if you still have questions I would suggest asking them then.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigBear

New

Post by BigBear » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:26 pm

lymenheimer wrote:Also...Why are you even worrying about this? You aren't planning to apply until over a year from now. The process doesn't take a year and you don't need hand-holding through it, it is that simple. When you actually make an LSAC account and begin the process, if you still have questions I would suggest asking them then.

Not worrying at all I was just curious of the exact process. I'm looking through the LSAC website and Duke's application now, thanks.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:33 pm

BigBear wrote:Hi All, I know this a really newbie question of me to ask, but could someone clarify how the actual application process works?

Not to argue, but the bolded seems pretty worrisome. Like I said, it is simple. Once you actually sit down and do it, you will feel silly for these questions...and if you don't, then you should.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”