How to Dress For a Law School Visit and Using "Ma'am" Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chuckbass

Platinum

Re: How to Dress For a Law School Visit and Using "Ma'am"

Post by chuckbass » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:20 pm

also, don't write thank you notes, completely unnecessary

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:30 pm

I'm not from the west coast I'm just smart enough to figure out it's better here. Open minds are useful y'all should try them

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:38 pm

No one said the northeast is better, just that it's not worse just because they don't use "ma'am" the way southerners do.

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:58 pm

This has nothing to do with using ma'am or not. The issue is being such a douche that you would get upset over someone calling you ma'am when it is obviously meant in a respectful way and when everyone knows that it is customary in some parts of the country.

Where I'm from nobody uses ma'am or sir either but they also wouldn't get all bent out of shape if someone did.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:00 pm

Bingo

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

benwyatt

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by benwyatt » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:03 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by benwyatt on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:17 pm

Because they don't get out much and aren't as cosmopolitan they think

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:39 pm

This is crazy, but insightful. Being a southerner myself, I've always called ladies "ma'am" out of respect and would have never thought someone would take offense to it. The things you learn on TLS.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:41 pm

Find the thing where a general calls Senator Boxer ma'am instead of senator it's great

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:44 pm

hdunlop wrote:Find the thing where a general calls Senator Boxer ma'am instead of senator it's great
I actually saw that when I googled about this (there's a HuffPost article, as well). I have thoughts about that. I'll just keep those thoughts to myself. :D

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:45 pm

jphiggo wrote:
hdunlop wrote:Find the thing where a general calls Senator Boxer ma'am instead of senator it's great
I actually saw that when I googled about this (there's a HuffPost article, as well). I have thoughts about that. I'll just keep those thoughts to myself. :D
Yeah that was idiotic.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:46 pm

If someone called me ma'am I would suspect that they were mocking me

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:29 pm

Calling people by their names >>>>>> "ma'am"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:54 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:If someone called me ma'am I would suspect that they were mocking me
Why?

As a different example, people in the states don't say "cheers" to mean "thank you" like people from Commonwealth nations do. Would it be considered offensive or improper for a British person to use their vernacular over here, as long as it's well-intentioned and understood? If not, then why would it be for a southerner to do so in the northeast?

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:01 pm

ymmv wrote:ITT, moral OUTRAGE at the notion that people unaccustomed to encountering certain behaviors might find those behaviors strange mouthbreathers who are either playing deliberately dumb or who are literally incapable of perceiving daylight between "unusual" and "offensive."

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:05 pm

Do not use sir or maam in the Northeast. I am a vet from the South, and I quickly dropped that old habit. Seriously, NO ONE uses it or thinks its appropriate. Even partners go by their first name (with very few exceptions)

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:13 pm

jrf12886 wrote:Do not use sir or maam in the Northeast. I am a vet from the South, and I quickly dropped that old habit. Seriously, NO ONE uses it or thinks its appropriate. Even partners go by their first name (with very few exceptions)
I mainly use it in situations where I don't know the person's name - like when trying to hail the server at the diner I'll say something like "Excuse me, ma'am." I guess I was thinking of that sort of usage (which could include someone at career services whose name I don't know) rather than as an addendum to a salutation or other remark to someone I actually know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:13 pm

kartelite wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:If someone called me ma'am I would suspect that they were mocking me
Why?

As a different example, people in the states don't say "cheers" to mean "thank you" like people from Commonwealth nations do. Would it be considered offensive or improper for a British person to use their vernacular over here, as long as it's well-intentioned and understood? If not, then why would it be for a southerner to do so in the northeast?
um, you get that you can have good intentions and be misunderstood right?

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:34 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:
kartelite wrote:
Why?

um, you get that you can have good intentions and be misunderstood right?
Um, of course. But you'd have to be pretty ignant not to know that ma'am is a commonly used salutation in a significant part of our country, so it seems to me it's more of a case of yanks being all uppity rather than actually misunderstanding.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:37 pm

unless you have a thick accident I don't know how you expect the random people you encounter in the northeast to know that you're from the south

PoopyPants

Bronze

Post by PoopyPants » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:08 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
RancidSumo wrote:Only a humorless old bat who is overly worried about her greying hair and deepening wrinkles would be offended by being called ma'am.
For fuck's sake, people who are from the northeast are telling you that some people in the northeast get offended by being called ma'am. It's not because they're evil humorless people. Different places have different expectations. People need to get over it.
I agree with you generally. But it has been my experience that just mentioning that it's a habit I formed in the military diffuses any tension they have about feeling Very Old or something similar. Also, making an effort to not say it helps.

It's about respect, but part of respect is treating people how they want to be treated. If it makes them uncomfortable, taking the idgaf route is not very respectful.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PoopyPants

Bronze

Post by PoopyPants » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:11 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:unless you have a thick accident I don't know how you expect the random people you encounter in the northeast to know that you're from the south
Everyone I've met from the real South has had a distinct accent. Similarly, every Texan I know has an accent (that means less though, since I lived in Texas for years).

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:29 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:unless you have a thick accident
,':^)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:46 pm

RancidSumo wrote:This has nothing to do with using ma'am or not. The issue is being such a douche that you would get upset over someone calling you ma'am when it is obviously meant in a respectful way and when everyone knows that it is customary in some parts of the country.

Where I'm from nobody uses ma'am or sir either but they also wouldn't get all bent out of shape if someone did.
This isn't about anyone being a douche. It's about being in a part of the country where no one uses sir/ma'am this way, so that when they do, you have a gut reaction to it that's usually negative. (I agree with riot that it usually comes across as mocking when you're not used to it, like the person who's using it thinks you think you're some kind of hot shit or something.) No one's saying anyone should get bent out of shape about it. Of course you're a douche if you make a rude comment to someone who calls you ma'am, but you can't help having an unconscious negative reaction if those are your expectations.

And I didn't have any idea that people in the south do this all the time until I actually lived in the south. I don't get why that's ignorant, but someone from the south not knowing they don't use sir/ma'am in the northeast isn't.

Like I already said to the OP, it's not something to worry about doing. But it is something that people just generally don't do in the northeast, and since she was wondering about it, that's what people were explaining. It doesn't make northeasterners douches.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:17 pm

Just here to praise nony for yet another excellent showing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”