Soft factor question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
R2D7point5

New

Soft factor question

Post by R2D7point5 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:24 pm

For 3 years during college I was an elected member of my church's congregational council. We made hiring decisions (hired a new pastor during my term) along with occasional 6-figure budget and building decisions. Considering that it was an elected position (I actually did "run" against somebody) with significant responsibility, should I list this? It seems like an obvious boost, but I'm curious if the religious aspect will be in any way alienating or detrimental. We're ELCA Lutheran so it's pretty middle-of-the-road non-offensive (I hope) normal church stuff. Any reason not to list this significant leadership role? I also play bass for my church, so I'll throw that in there if I list the congregational council part.

rnoodles

Platinum

Re: Soft factor question

Post by rnoodles » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:42 pm

I don't think it will hurt you. I applied to ND and talked about my islamic background and it didn't hurt. Still ended up getting an offer.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:44 pm

Why would it hurt you? Adcomms aren't atheist abortion doctor liberal professors, they're not going to care.

R2D7point5

New

Post by R2D7point5 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:51 pm

Haha thanks for the feedback. I guess adcomms aren't quite the fun bunch I pictured then. I'll make sure to list the experience since it sounds like it should be a non-issue.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”