How to address this.... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rthompson724

New

How to address this....

Post by rthompson724 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:33 pm

So here's the deal...
176 lsat/2.9 GPA from mid range state school

First two years of college=terrible grades. Reasoning behind it was family difficulties dealing with my homosexuality (very conservative roots.) Dropped out of undergrad due to being disowned and worked full time in med sales for two years before becoming a non-traditional student and finishing up my degree from the original state school through mostly online classes. From the time I "restarted" my undergrad work, I have maintained a 4.0 (taking 18 hour semester course loads) while working full time and juggling both a corporate and firm internship.

I know addendums are important when dealing with poor gpas, but I don't want to come across as whiny "poor me, my parents cut me off." I'm also not sure if mentioning my sexuality is appropriate. Any thoughts? Top schools that are particularly splitter friendly, and put weight on LSAT and life experience?
Last edited by rthompson724 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clemenceau

Silver

Re: How to address this....

Post by Clemenceau » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:37 pm

You absolutely should use your sexuality in your personal statement/addendum. Can't tell you exactly how...but it should be part of your narrative. It's not inappropriate by any means.

rthompson724

New

Post by rthompson724 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:43 pm

Clemenceau wrote:You absolutely should use your sexuality in your personal statement/addendum. Can't tell you exactly how...but it should be part of your narrative. It's not inappropriate by any means.
Thank you for your time...certainly a difficult subject to broach. Applications are such a blur concerning professional lines.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:52 pm

Diversity and adversity. Mention it all.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:59 pm

NYU will eat this up. On numbers alone you're borderline there but you've got a solid shot with the right application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”