Should I practice law if I'm shy? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Eee666

New

Should I practice law if I'm shy?

Post by Eee666 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:17 am

I am starting at a T14 in September and I am having second thoughts because I have very poor social skills. I am quiet, shy, and I really cannot make small talk. I function socially by just trying to be a good listener and being really honest about what I'm feeling/thinking within the bounds of courtesy, because I don't have the aptitude to pretend. This isn't a question of just being sheltered. I have been exposed to lots of new social situations as I have had a ton of random jobs, but I know that
a) I have always been perceived as being weird no matter where I go and
b) I have successfully overcome this by trying to do good work and paying careful attention to my coworkers, as it is impossible for me to be convincingly not weird.

So I think I would have a lot of trouble in a socially sophisticated workplace where I was expected to be nuanced/suave/entertaining in addition to just being competent and supportive.
I'm wondering if there's any area of law where I could function with my social shortcomings or if I should explore another profession.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Should I practice law if I'm shy?

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:24 am

There are certainly jobs where you'd probably be okay, but I feel like the interviewing process is going to be an obstacle. Especially if you are considering aiming at biglaw, where interviews tend to measure (1)how much your interviewers would like to hang out with you, and (2)how good you are at bullshitting with an enthusiastic smile.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:38 am

Shy and polite people do fine. You'll be fine.

fisheatbananas

Bronze

Post by fisheatbananas » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:03 am

why do you want to be a lawyer? are some of the jobs that dont involve speaking in front of people often appealing to you?

also since youll be exposed to the socratic method in classes and hopefully many interviews, maybe that would force you to get over your shyness in situations where its better to be more extroverted. of course im not saying you should go to law school to get over your shyness just that it might be an unexpected benefit

Bubbles 4 Life

Gold

Post by Bubbles 4 Life » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:27 am

Last edited by Bubbles 4 Life on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:32 am

M_n_M wrote:You should clerk for a judge or go into maritime or environmental law.
:?:

Bubbles 4 Life

Gold

Post by Bubbles 4 Life » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:35 am

Last edited by Bubbles 4 Life on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:38 am

I guess I can see that. Every other person at my law school wanted to do environmental, and they were all outgoing outdoorsy mountain-climbing types, so that's not at all my experience with the stereotype.

Bubbles 4 Life

Gold

Post by Bubbles 4 Life » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:41 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:45 am

Enough people in my school wanted to do environmental that some of those types are, but I get what you're saying wrt the regulations that people doing environmental actually have to deal with (complex like tax or ERISA), especially if you're in a firm. (I know a few people doing the "save the rainforest" route, which I think is very different.)

Eee666

New

Post by Eee666 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:51 am

fisheatbananas wrote:why do you want to be a lawyer? are some of the jobs that dont involve speaking in front of people often appealing to you?

also since youll be exposed to the socratic method in classes and hopefully many interviews, maybe that would force you to get over your shyness in situations where its better to be more extroverted. of course im not saying you should go to law school to get over your shyness just that it might be an unexpected benefit
I had several seminar classes during my undergrad. I would do fine by preparing a few remarks but if I had to speak extemporaneously it was always garbled. I am always a step behind in social interactions and it clearly shows.

I want to be a lawyer because I have a humanities BA, I am currently washing dishes, and no one will give me an interview for anything else.

Bubbles 4 Life

Gold

Post by Bubbles 4 Life » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:54 am

Last edited by Bubbles 4 Life on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trey ohh five

New

Post by trey ohh five » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:58 am

Eee666 wrote:
fisheatbananas wrote:why do you want to be a lawyer? are some of the jobs that dont involve speaking in front of people often appealing to you?

I had several seminar classes during my undergrad. I would do fine by preparing a few remarks but if I had to speak extemporaneously it was always garbled. I am always a step behind in social interactions and it clearly shows.

I want to be a lawyer because I have a humanities BA, I am currently washing dishes, and no one will give me an interview for anything else.
It should be noted that the person you quoted is a 0L and has never taken a class law school so he really doesn't know what he is taking about. Aside from occasionally being called on to answer a professor's question don't worry about speaking in class.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Eee666

New

Post by Eee666 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:07 pm

trey ohh five wrote: It should be noted that the person you quoted is a 0L and has never taken a class law school so he really doesn't know what he is taking about. Aside from occasionally being called on to answer a professor's question don't worry about speaking in class.
Yeah I don't care about cold calling at all. I understand that law school evaluation is mostly issue spotting exams. What I am really worried about is entering the job market. I have no idea if
a) there are legal jobs where it's ok to be really awkward
b) if it's at all realistic to get those jobs
Right now it's not too late to change course. The only people who will care are my parents who bragged to everyone that I was going to law school but too bad for them.

cheesy145

New

Post by cheesy145 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:17 pm

As a person who is also shy and hates small talk I think you shouldn't be worried so much about getting a job where you don't need social skills but instead should focus on improving yours. Don't change who you are but in and out of the world of law its important to be able to be likeable and articulate your thoughts confidently. Its q hard skill to gain, I've been working on gaining it, but I think it'll help out

FrozenBananaStand

New

Post by FrozenBananaStand » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:23 pm

It would be helpful to know what your debt levels are going to be coming out of school and where in the T14 you're headed. If you have minimal debt, finding a job that is well-suited for your temperament can be top priority, and maybe law school is a reasonable choice. If you're in a position where you have to do biglaw to support yourself, you might be more reliant on a set of social skills you claim you don't possess. (Caveat: your level of self-awareness in this thread belies your opinion of yourself; I think if you're polite and nice, quietness won't hinder you much).

Also, if you're very young and have little professional experience, it could be worth your while to find some and reapply to school. Work at a law firm for a while and see if being a lawyer is what you really want to do. Your t14 acceptance could be a way to get your foot in the door with a firm.

Ron Howard

Bronze

Post by Ron Howard » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:41 pm

It is very natural to be nervous before starting law school, and to make up a story in your head about why you are not good enough to go. Since you are aware that your social skills are not up to par (and you may be underestimating yourself here) and since you are going to be going to a great law school, I think you should still go (assuming of course you want to be a lawyer).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bubbles 4 Life

Gold

Post by Bubbles 4 Life » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:56 pm

Last edited by Bubbles 4 Life on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trey ohh five

New

Post by trey ohh five » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:08 pm

M_n_M wrote:If I were you, get out while you can. While there are some good people in the legal profession, there are also a lot of dirtbags in law school and beyond who will make you feel like shit. I'd recommend a nice research position where you make a couple friends and chill in your office until you become a professor.
You sound like just the type of dirtbag you're telling OP to stay away from. "Sounds like you're not cut out for this champ, try doing this instead." He got into a T14 and you're telling him to work some research position instead of enrolling just because he's proclaiming to be a little shy? This board really is terrible sometimes.

Bubbles 4 Life

Gold

Post by Bubbles 4 Life » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:13 pm

urbanist11

Silver

Post removed.

Post by urbanist11 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by urbanist11 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

trey ohh five

New

Post by trey ohh five » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:26 pm

M_n_M wrote:
trey ohh five wrote:
M_n_M wrote:If I were you, get out while you can. While there are some good people in the legal profession, there are also a lot of dirtbags in law school and beyond who will make you feel like shit. I'd recommend a nice research position where you make a couple friends and chill in your office until you become a professor.
You sound like the type of dirtbag you're telling OP to stay away from. He got into a T14 and you're telling him to work some research position instead of enrolling just because he's proclaiming to be a little shy? This board really is terrible sometimes.
Just because he got into a T14 doesn't mean he should automatically go. Honestly, I'd give this advice to anyone, especially if they didn't have a reason for going to law school beyond "i have a humanities degree" and "nothing else is hiring."

If you think I come off as a dirtbag, wait until you meet real lawyers.
I agree that that's not a good reason to go to law school, but being shy is not a good reason not to go either. Tons of people (sometimes it feels like the majority) in law school are awkward, strange, and lack basic social skills. Do they make for bad attorneys? Not necessarily. If you do good work, it can speak for itself.

Bubbles 4 Life

Gold

Post by Bubbles 4 Life » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:33 pm

trey ohh five

New

Post by trey ohh five » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:36 pm

So long as OP buys a pair of park aves, he'll be making 190 in NYC in no time

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:39 pm

You will be fine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.