Post removed. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
basedvulpes

Gold

Post removed.

Post by basedvulpes » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:42 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

benwyatt

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by benwyatt » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:14 am

Post removed.
Last edited by benwyatt on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

mynameismyname

Bronze

Re: dean's certification for disciplinary reasons

Post by mynameismyname » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:49 am

Call the judicial affairs office at your school. They would have any information like that. If they dont, you should be okay. I hear that you should disclose when in doubt though.

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:55 am

Always best to disclose when in doubt. If it was that minor, I doubt any adcomms/C&F examiners would really bat an eye.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:59 am

rnoodles22 wrote:Always best to disclose when in doubt. If it was that minor, I doubt any adcomms/C&F examiners would really bat an eye.

this. however if you confirm there's nothing on your record I'd not include it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

basedvulpes

Gold

Post removed.

Post by basedvulpes » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:53 am

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

benwyatt

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by benwyatt » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:55 am

Post removed.

basedvulpes

Gold

Post removed.

Post by basedvulpes » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:03 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benwyatt

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by benwyatt » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:15 pm

Post removed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:22 pm

I went through this. You'll be fine.

Definitely disclose. Even if there are no records. You will have to disclose it again when you apply to take the bar, and any discrepancy would be an issue for character and fitness.

Just be honest, humble, and forthright and you'll be okay. Best of luck. If you want to PM feel free

basedvulpes

Gold

Post removed.

Post by basedvulpes » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:28 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:30 pm

Check the "state board of law examiners" for each state. They will have more information.

Here's MN, for example: https://www.ble.state.mn.us/character-and-fitness/

The mantra with disclosures is to disclose anything and everything. Generally, it won't be a big deal unless it's either a) a serious criminal violation or b) a financial crime.

Tennis Dude

New

Post by Tennis Dude » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:26 pm

basedvulpes wrote:Was just reviewing some of the additional requirements for certain schools that I'm applying to and saw that a few schools require you to submit dean's certification letters if you answer yes to a question on whether or not you have a disciplinary record from your undergraduate college.

I'm a little unsure whether I truly will need to submit one. There's one incident from undergrad that was relatively minor, and I not sure that my college even has a "file" on it. Without getting into specifics, I did something dumb on a saturday night and had to go meet with someone in the Office of Student Life. We talked about it for half an hour and that was it, never came up again. I wasn't warned or threatened with disciplinary action at all.

I would rather keep this out of my law school application if I can, but I also don't want to come back to haunt me after I've been accepted or matriculated. Is it better to just disclose it? Call my undergrad and see what they think/if they have a record of it? Anyone been through a similar situation?
When in doubt, you should disclose. Bar examiners do a very thorough check on each applicant. If your state is anything like Florida, the FBI gets involved, which means it is some serious shit.

The way I see it, you are in a catch 22. On one hand, if you only disclose one incident, ad comms won't care and it will not affect your application. At the same time, if you do not disclose the other incident, and your state finds out, you are going to have some 'splaining to so. (I have never had one myself, but I have heard disciplinary hearings described as Dante's nine circles of hell.

On the other hand though, if you do disclose both incidents, you do not risk nondisclosure or any bar issues because candor is the most important thing. Someone from my law school a few years ago got 3 duis and even had to take a semester off to do jail time after their third one, but they were honest and were admitted eventually. The problem, however, is that because you are disclosing 2 incidents, it shows a pattern, and this may keep you out of a few schools/knock you down a few notches.

The mantra on this site rings true through: When in doubt, disclose. So yeah, disclose.

And before you act all gloom and doom and start feeling sorry for yourself now that this stuff has "come back to haunt you," realize that you were an adult when these things happened, made certain choices, and now you have to live with your mistakes.

basedvulpes

Gold

Post removed.

Post by basedvulpes » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:29 am

Post removed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”