The Power of a good LOR Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NigeranOU

Bronze

The Power of a good LOR

Post by NigeranOU » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:48 pm

So one of my professors, an acclaimed man with a doctorate and public administrative work outside of the university wrote me an amazing letter of rec. I myself am moved to borderline tears. What kind of power does that have in admissions?
Last edited by NigeranOU on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Re: The Power of a good LOR

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:50 pm

Negligible

shump92

Bronze

Post by shump92 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:52 pm

It means your LORs are a helpful soft. Think equal to or slightly better than a great PS, but less notable than URM or something absurdly prestigious and selective.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post removed.

Post by pittsburghpirates » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:52 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by pittsburghpirates on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NigeranOU

Bronze

Post by NigeranOU » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:58 pm

pittsburghpirates wrote:Depends on where you are applying. LS admissions by and large is a numbers game and your uGPA and LSAT will be the primary determinants in where you garner acceptances
Blanketing the t-14 plus USC/UCLA and OU
I am so an AA female

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hat.trick

Bronze

Post by Hat.trick » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:10 pm

A solid LOR would certainly help your application but its not going to work miracles. All your LORs together probably make up 1% of your actually admission likelihood. And while the poster above me is right when they say that schools weight them differently, most of the top schools will weigh them the way I described. So yes it helps but not a significant amount

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:11 pm

I kind of doubt law schools even read the LoRs for 90%+ of their applicants.

NigeranOU

Bronze

Post by NigeranOU » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:19 pm

thesealocust wrote:I kind of doubt law schools even read the LoRs for 90%+ of their applicants.
gonna pretend i didn't see this. first of all you better have some hard evidence to back that kind of statement up. and number two THEN WHY WOULD THEY ASK FOR THEM.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:22 pm

NigeranOU wrote:
thesealocust wrote:I kind of doubt law schools even read the LoRs for 90%+ of their applicants.
gonna pretend i didn't see this. first of all you better have some hard evidence to back that kind of statement up. and number two THEN WHY WOULD THEY ASK FOR THEM.
The best evidence is data - look at websites like LawSchoolNumbers and you'll see that looking at an applicant's undergraduate GPA and LSAT is enough to predict their admissions decisions - and scholarship offers - an astonishing amount of the time. If the softer factors like letters of recommendation, essays, extracurricular, etc. were actually meaningful to the process, then you would see messier and noisier data. GPA and LSAT scores might be a factor, but they couldn't predict the whole story.

Yes, it's hyperbole to say they don't read them for 90%+ of applicants, but I doubt by much. They surely will look for red flags if nothing else, but the evidence is pretty overwhelming that law school is little more than a numbers game.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NigeranOU

Bronze

Post by NigeranOU » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:31 pm

thesealocust wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:
The best evidence is data - look at websites like LawSchoolNumbers and you'll see that looking at an applicant's undergraduate GPA and LSAT is enough to predict their admissions decisions - and scholarship offers - an astonishing amount of the time. If the softer factors like letters of recommendation, essays, extracurricular, etc. were actually meaningful to the process, then you would see messier and noisier data. GPA and LSAT scores might be a factor, but they couldn't predict the whole story.

Yes, it's hyperbole to say they don't read them for 90%+ of applicants, but I doubt by much. They surely will look for red flags if nothing else, but the evidence is pretty overwhelming that law school is little more than a numbers game.
Your reasoning is flawed. Only a small percentage of law school applicants use LSN so to speak about its data as widely conclusive is a major error buddy. And yes, I know law school is mostly about GPA and LSAT that is a given. But for schools like berk who use a more holistic approach I am wondering the weight of a powerful LOR. I don't think hyperboles like that should be thrown around like on this site, a weaker person would have taken that to heart.

shump92

Bronze

Post by shump92 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:35 pm

NigeranOU wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:

Your reasoning is flawed. Only a small percentage of law school applicants use LSN so to speak about its data as widely conclusive is a major error buddy. And yes, I know law school is mostly about GPA and LSAT that is a given. But for schools like berk who use a more holistic approach I am wondering the weight of a powerful LOR. I don't think hyperboles like that should be thrown around like on this site, a weaker person would have taken that to heart.
I agree with your general viewpoint but I still think the conclusion that LORs are not determinate for around 90% of applicants still holds. The numbers have a huge impact for adcomms because so many people apply. I think that saying softs can overcome numbers for only around 10% (at most) of the top pool is accurate. Depending on your LSAT/GPA, your softs including this and URM status may put you in that ~10%.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post removed.

Post by pittsburghpirates » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:41 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by pittsburghpirates on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DCNTUA

Bronze

Post by DCNTUA » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:45 pm

NigeranOU wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:

You seem unpleasant.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:50 pm

Do you guys even see your LORs? I can't view mine on the LSAC website (Probably cuz I waived my right to view it, I figured it was appropriate to do)

Sideshow Raheem

New

Post by Sideshow Raheem » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:59 pm

What the fuck is OU?

rrwwa

New

Post by rrwwa » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:09 pm

I agree that GPA and LSAT are the main determinants, and that you need the right numbers to get you in. You're not going to get acceptances your numbers don't warrant just because you have a single strong LOR.

On the other hand, I also had a really, really strong LOR and I think I outperformed my numbers in terms of scholarship offers. I ended up with a generous named scholarship at a T-14 with a GPA below 25th percentile for the school (LSAT above 75th though). In my application cycle, there are 11 people on LSN with better numbers who didn't get the scholarship offer.

Full disclosure: I also had some other softs, like good work experience and an elite undergrad. I'm not a URM though. So who knows what it came down to, but since the question of how much weight is given to softs comes up a lot, just thought I'd throw this out there.

But, I got WL at Stanford (didn't apply to Yale), so numbers are still a prerequisite.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:11 pm

Sideshow Raheem wrote:What the fuck is OU?
University of Oklahoma I'm assuming

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:48 pm

To one of the posters above, I don't think LORs will have an effect on scholarship offers. It might have depended more on how much they needed your numbers at a certain point in the cycle and how much you were convincing in your negotiations.

OP, your URM status will help in your cycle, but LORs will be negligible, as Mack said. Admission officers get thousands of applicants, with at least two LORs for each applicant. They've read every possible thing that anyone can ever say about an applicant. That you read your LOR already kind of weakens its strength though, but not much. Personally I wouldn't think more about it.

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:01 pm

Personally, while numbers are very VERY important, I don't think I'd be in the position I am with $ had it not been for one of my LORs. Good luck with your cycle!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:15 pm

NigeranOU wrote:
Relax, d00d

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:17 pm

PoopNpants wrote:
Sideshow Raheem wrote:What the fuck is OU?
University of Oklahoma I'm assuming
Yeah haven't you heard of the Nigerian University of Oklahoma I hear it's a great party school where the profs write letters that'll bring you to tears

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:18 pm

DCNTUA wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:

You seem unpleasant.
gonna pretend I didn't see this

scone

Bronze

Post by scone » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:58 pm

Last edited by scone on Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:57 pm

All top schools expect "good" letters of rec. They're something that can hurt you if you have really shitty LORs, but won't make you outperform your numbers.

I had meh recs from a couple TAs and only one I'd call good from a former boss, S and H didn't care.

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:17 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:All top schools expect "good" letters of rec. They're something that can hurt you if you have really shitty LORs, but won't make you outperform your numbers.

I had meh recs from a couple TAs and only one I'd call good from a former boss, S and H didn't care.
do you think better recs would have gotten you a regular admit instead of in off the waitlist? or do you think it wouldn't have mattered? (actual question, not trying to be a dick)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”