Cornell Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
roastbeefy

New

Re: Cornell

Post by roastbeefy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:30 am

Clemenceau wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... f-law.html this article is from 2007 about federal appellate clerkships but Cornell is not in the top 20 for number placed and barely in the top 25 for percentage placed
I don't think anyone argued that cls/nyu arent superior for clerkships (at least I didn't). My point was that there are definitely times when cornell is a better choice for a prospective student than the other two.
Agree.

Also, to answer OP's question...another factor just might be that Cornell is a lot smaller in class size in comparion to NYU and Columbia so there's less "hype" about Cornell.

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:38 am

NigeranOU wrote: No one really hypes Cornell.
Kinky John wrote:It's been hyped plenty, you just haven't been on the forums long enough.
?? I'm not saying its not hyped at all. Im saying other schools are hyped way more in comparison
Search "Cornell" and I think you'll find plenty of people hyping it over NYU/Columbia.

trey ohh five

New

Post by trey ohh five » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:44 am

It's not "hyped" because no one in their right mind would choose living in Ithaca over NYC. But if you want to work in NYC and don't have the numbers for Columbia/NYU, Cornell is a great school.

NigeranOU

Bronze

Post by NigeranOU » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:54 am

trey ohh five wrote:It's not "hyped" because no one in their right mind would choose living in Ithaca over NYC. But if you want to work in NYC and don't have the numbers for Columbia/NYU, Cornell is a great school.
how does ithaca differ from nyc?

roastbeefy

New

Post by roastbeefy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:55 am

trey ohh five wrote:It's not "hyped" because no one in their right mind would choose living in Ithaca over NYC. But if you want to work in NYC and don't have the numbers for Columbia/NYU, Cornell is a great school.
lol have you lived/been in Ithaca before?

It's obviously not a booming city, but it grows on you.
NigeranOU wrote:how does ithaca differ from nyc?
Well for starters, it's upstate New York so it's pretty far away from everything. It's a college town. Lotta woods/scenary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trey ohh five

New

Post by trey ohh five » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:56 am

NigeranOU wrote:
One is a small town in upstate New York, the other is the largest city in the United States.

NigeranOU

Bronze

Post by NigeranOU » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:58 am

trey ohh five wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:
One is a small town in upstate New York, the other is the largest city in the United States.
that was a very broad difference but that works too.....

Any town can be a small town compared to NYC honestly.
I was wondering more about the general characteristics of Ithaca

trey ohh five

New

Post by trey ohh five » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:00 am

Do you really need me to spell out the differences for you? It's like night and day man. Ithaca is a town of 30,000 people that basically revolves around the university. NYC is the largest metropolis in the country.

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:06 am

Op why are you interested? is it your number one choice? do you have the numbers to be able to choose between NYU Columbia and Cornell and want more information? or is this trolling.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:10 am

This thread is pretty horrible. Cornell is a pretty good school where the vast majority of people who have big law (esp NYC) aspirations will be successful. Clerking is very viable for the top of the class, as is true for almost all of the non-HYS T14, with a somewhat sliding scale. Ithaca can suck, but not everyone wants NYC and its charming in its on way. That certainly is not worth more than 50-60k in my opinion, let alone 100+. With NYU, if you're all in PI that decision makes sense since your LRAP bound anyways, but if you want NYC biglaw, there is almost no reason to go to Columbia or NYU when there is substantial scholarship difference, which there almost always is. People will say what they want about CLS/NYU playing more into the V10 and COA's, but that still most likely wont be you and certainly isnt worth 100k.

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:24 am

mt2165 wrote:People will say what they want about CLS/NYU playing more into the V10 and COA's, but that still most likely wont be you and certainly isnt worth 100k.
Your point about it not being you/me is valid, I have a small chance of being that person, but I don't want to willingly hinder my efforts. personally the possibility of a v10 or COA clerkship is worth 100k in debt to me (I know it isn't for everyeone).

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am

cdotson2 wrote:
mt2165 wrote:People will say what they want about CLS/NYU playing more into the V10 and COA's, but that still most likely wont be you and certainly isnt worth 100k.
Your point about it not being you/me is valid, I have a small chance of being that person, but I don't want to willingly hinder my efforts. personally the possibility of a v10 or COA clerkship is worth 100k in debt to me (I know it isn't for everyeone).
First of all, enjoy that.

Second, its not the possibility you're paying for. The possibility exists at cornell. It's a marginal increase in probability, which is totally different.

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:46 am

Clemenceau wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:

Second, its not the possibility you're paying for. The possibility exists at cornell. It's a marginal increase in probability, which is totally different.
Is it really marginal though? I think there is a considerable difference between them. I know at least for clerkships your chances are much much higher at Columbia than at Cornell. I also think there is probably a much easier path into academia at columbia or NYU over cornell. This is the same reasoning that is employed on this forum to tell people to pick Yale over a Hamilton or ruby.
Last edited by cdotson2 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NigeranOU

Bronze

Post by NigeranOU » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:52 am

Last edited by NigeranOU on Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:55 am

cdotson2 wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:

Is it really marginal though? I think there is a considerable difference between them. I know at least for clerkships your chances are much much higher at Columbia than at Cornell. I also think there is probably a much easier path into academia at columbia or NYU or cornell. This is the same reasoning that is employed in why people on this forum tell people to pick Yale over a Hamilton or ruby.

From 2011-2013 cls put 7% of its grads in fed clerk positions, cornell 8.4%, yale 34.3%

I just don't really see your angle here.

Edit: source: http://excessofdemocracy.com/blog/2014/ ... -2011-2013

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:59 am

Clemenceau wrote: From 2011-2013 cls put 7% of its grads in fed clerk positions, cornell 8.4%, yale 34.3%

I have already posted my stats on clerkships and Cornell might place into federal clerkships but not prestigious ones. and my angle is that Columbia offers an overall jump in all employment areas from Cornell equal to the employment jump from Columbia to Yale. pecentage from yale to columbia are not completely comparable since columbia is nearly double the size.

according to your own source the total number of placements from the three schools is: Cornell= 49 Columbia=95 and Yale=219
roughly doubling at each point. so as I said the jump from Cornell to Colombia is similar to the jump from Columbia to Yale
Last edited by cdotson2 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:02 pm

All fed clerkships are prestigious bruh. Say whatever you want about coa or scotus clerkships, but lol at paying sticker at cls because you want one of those. That would be moronic.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:04 pm

cdotson2 wrote:
Clemenceau wrote: From 2011-2013 cls put 7% of its grads in fed clerk positions, cornell 8.4%, yale 34.3%

I have already posted my stats on clerkships and Cornell might place into federal clerkships but not prestigious ones. and my angle is that Columbia offers an overall jump in all employment areas from Cornell equal to the employment jump from Columbia to Yale. pecentage from yale to columbia are not completely comparable since columbia is nearly double the size.

according to your own source the total number of placements from the three schools is: Cornell= 49 Columbia=95 and Yale=219
roughly doubling at each point. so as I said the jump from Cornell to Colombia is similar from the jump from Columbia to Yale
You do understand how percentages work, right?

Also, yale isn't roughly doubling columbia in clerkships; it's blowing it out of the water.

Edit typo

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:05 pm

Clemenceau wrote:All fed clerkships are prestigious bruh. Say whatever you want about coa or scotus clerkships, but lol at paying sticker at cls because you want one of those. That would be moronic.
a signing bonus from a district court is around 50 grand the signing bonus from a SCOTUS clerkship is 200+

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:09 pm

cdotson2 wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:All fed clerkships are prestigious bruh. Say whatever you want about coa or scotus clerkships, but lol at paying sticker at cls because you want one of those. That would be moronic.
a signing bonus from a district court is around 50 grand the signing bonus from a SCOTUS clerkship is 200+
No shit scotus is better.

And the opportunity cost of clerking an extra year instead of going to a firm? 2nd year all in comp is $195k at a market paying firm

Edit for clarity: I'm not even sure why I'm responding at this point. You didn't even make a point here.

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:24 pm

Clemenceau wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:

And the opportunity cost of clerking an extra year instead of going to a firm? 2nd year all in comp is $195k at a market paying firm

Edit for clarity: I'm not even sure why I'm responding at this point. You didn't even make a point here.
I havn't done the hard math yet, but I am pretty sure that a second year of clerking if it is at the supreme court level would give you more money not less.

rough estimates of math=

1 year clerking at 60ish grand the going into biglaw with 50 signing bonus and into second year of comp lockstep at 195. total at start of third year of law school= 305 thousand

2 year clerking at 60ish grand= 120 with 200+ signing bonus. total at start of third year out of law school = 320 thousand

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:35 pm

cdotson2 wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:

I havn't done the hard math yet, but I am pretty sure that a second year of clerking if it is at the supreme court level would give you more money not less.

rough estimates of math=

1 year clerking at 60ish grand the going into biglaw with 50 signing bonus and into second year of comp lockstep at 195. total at start of third year of law school= 305 thousand

2 year clerking at 60ish grand= 120 with 200+ signing bonus. total at start of third year out of law school = 320 thousand
What is your point

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:37 pm

Clemenceau wrote: What is your point
all federal clerkships are not the same and going to Columbia gives you the opportunity for a far better possible career start(for certain career paths) than Cornell.

NoLieAbility

Bronze

Post by NoLieAbility » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:43 pm

cdotson2 wrote:all federal clerkships are not the same and going to Columbia gives you the opportunity for a far better possible career start(for certain career paths) than Cornell.
You're the worst. At least the worst today. The week is almost over. You might be the worst of the week.

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:44 pm

NoLieAbility wrote: You're the worst. At least the worst today. The week is almost over. You might be the worst of the week.
:D :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”