how much do law school personal statement prompts differ? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cdotson2

Silver

how much do law school personal statement prompts differ?

Post by cdotson2 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:28 am

Is It bad to just send in one general personal statement to all the schools you apply to?

Clemenceau

Silver

Re: how much do law school personal statement prompts differ?

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:46 am

I don't think I actually read a single one of those prompts. Just sent the same PS to every school.

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:49 am

Clemenceau wrote:I don't think I actually read a single one of those prompts. Just sent the same PS to every school.
If you send the same one to each school is it good to do any of the additional essays they ask for? I imagine that a generic ps might be the cause of yield protection a lot of the time, thoughts?

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:58 am

cdotson2 wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:I don't think I actually read a single one of those prompts. Just sent the same PS to every school.
If you send the same one to each school is it good to do any of the additional essays they ask for? I imagine that a generic ps might be the cause of yield protection a lot of the time, thoughts?
I think additional essays can be worthwhile. Alot of top schools YP pretty heavily. Cls, penn, uva, mich all come to mind. A decent 'why x' essay can help avoid that. Personally I was accepted everywhere I wrote a why x essay, but I did get a few WLs at places where I didn't write one. My numbers were also kinda funky/january application tho.

I don't think tossing the schools name somewhere in your personal statement would have much impact though. Felt kinda contrived to me.

slippin_jimmy

Gold

Post removed.

Post by slippin_jimmy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:18 am

Post removed.
Last edited by slippin_jimmy on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post removed.

Post by pittsburghpirates » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:37 am

Post removed.
Last edited by pittsburghpirates on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shump92

Bronze

Post by shump92 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:40 am

pittsburghpirates wrote:
Question for you on the "Why X" essays you wrote. I've been struggling to find advice on how long these typically are... Did you keep yours to about a page or less? Or longer? Figured that it's important to have something more meaningful to say other than that "I want to go to X because X is a great school" just wasn't sure about length. Any advice on content would be appreciated too. Sorry to hijack your thread OP, but figure this could be helpful in terms of whether to tailor a PS as well
I feel like a page sounds right. If a PS is only 2, nothing else should be more than 1. Being really specific to your actual interests probably is best.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:45 am

pittsburghpirates wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:
I think additional essays can be worthwhile. Alot of top schools YP pretty heavily. Cls, penn, uva, mich all come to mind. A decent 'why x' essay can help avoid that. Personally I was accepted everywhere I wrote a why x essay, but I did get a few WLs at places where I didn't write one. My numbers were also kinda funky/january application tho.

I don't think tossing the schools name somewhere in your personal statement would have much impact though. Felt kinda contrived to me.
Question for you on the "Why X" essays you wrote. I've been struggling to find advice on how long these typically are... Did you keep yours to about a page or less? Or longer? Figured that it's important to have something more meaningful to say other than that "I want to go to X because X is a great school" just wasn't sure about length. Any advice on content would be appreciated too. Sorry to hijack your thread OP, but figure this could be helpful in terms of whether to tailor a PS as well
Yep one full page. Content varied from school to school. For a couple, I sold ties to that geographical area. For others, I mentioned relationships I had with alumni of that school, and thus concluded x school would be a great fit for me etc etc etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”