LOR Materials for Professor I've Only Talked with a Few Times.... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
marmadukeishere

New

LOR Materials for Professor I've Only Talked with a Few Times....

Post by marmadukeishere » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:22 pm

Here is the situation. I started UG as a music major, switched to advertising halfway through and then finally decided that what I really want to do is practice law. I go to a fairly large university and have never had a professor more than once, have met with my academic advisor maybe three times, and am just not really sure who to ask for an academic LOR. I asked my Mass Media Law professor a couple of times if he would be willing to write me a positive LOR and he said yes, however, I only have talked with him one-on-one a handful of times. I did earn a very high A in his course so I have that going for me. I asked questions in his class but it was a lecture class of about 150.

Anyone willing to read through a letter that is going to accompany the materials I send him? It basically outlines some information he could volunteer about me for law school because he probably can't remember my face or anything about me. lol (jk, crying on the inside)

Awkward situation, the other professor who I have asked to write me an LOR, I have never met in person. We've exchanged e-mail correspondences and I am in her psychology lab but that is about it. I am planning to send her a similar letter with details about my interest in law, background info, etc.

The LORs are what I am most concerned with for my application...could lackluster recommendations severely hurt my chances of being accepted? I don't think either of them would write a bad recommendation but I'm just concerned that they won't have much to say (hence the letter with more info about me as a student).

LawsRUs

Gold

Re: LOR Materials for Professor I've Only Talked with a Few Times....

Post by LawsRUs » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:51 am

If you haven't already, I think you should ask your psych lab professor for a LOR in person. If she is hesitant or awkward about it, I would pursue another professor. If you are still in UG, you might want to engage one of your professors in the fall. As long as you think they won't write anything negative (e.g., falling asleep in class, annoying and disrespectful to other classmates), not glowing LORs are okay as long as you have good numbers (and to a lesser extent personal statements).

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:12 pm

LOR's at a huge university can be a bitch to get mainly because it's harder to foster meaningful connections. However, don't sweat it. Get those two just so you can check the box and stop stressing about it. Admissions is mainly a numbers game anyways so your generic LOR's won't matter.

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:25 pm

fwiw I got a LoR from a professor I literally never visited in office hours. However, his class was small and I spoke up in it from time to time so he at least knew who I was. Just talk to them and ask them if they feel that they would be able to write a LoR that would be beneficial, I think most will know the difference. If they say that the will but it will be generic just say thanks but no thanks.

basedvulpes

Gold

Post removed.

Post by basedvulpes » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:35 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marmadukeishere

New

Post by marmadukeishere » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Thank you all for the feedback! It has calmed my nerves! :) Working on making stronger connections with these two professors shouldn't be too hard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”