LOR Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thatlawlkid

Gold

LOR Question

Post by thatlawlkid » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:57 pm

So for the last 3.5 years I have done seasonal work for an individual who has expressed interest in writing a LOR for me. He owns and operates a decent sized sales based company, and I work for him for a few weeks twice a year when he is conducting business in the area. I have gotten to know this gentleman very well over the years, to the point that he started granting me a decent amount of autonomy regarding the work and trusting me to manage a team of people to accomplish this. The problem arises due to the fact that over the years this work has been paid under the table. Does anyone foresee a problem with having a LOR written by this gentleman? I also do not have the work referenced on my resume.

Any thoughts on the issue will be greatly appreciated as I am searching for a second LOR candidate and find myself to have gotten much closer with my various employers over the years as opposed to my professors. (1st LOR will be academic)

Abraham Lincoln Uni.

Bronze

Re: LOR Question

Post by Abraham Lincoln Uni. » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:17 pm

Hi.

In terms of letter of recommendations, law schools would like to hear from an individual who knows you well and who can vouch for you as a student, individual, and member of society. Students usually select a professor or an employer. If it is from an employer, students should make it worthwhile---the work should be referenced in a resume/CV and should reflect how this employer has a worthwhile perspective on you - few weeks twice a year in a sales position may come off as weak for a person who really knows and can vouch for you, compared to someone who has supervised you for a summer or during the year doing work related to your passion in law. The question can come to mind to a committee - why hasn't this student found someone stronger to vouch for him or her? - and that would be what you want to avoid.

If you don't feel very close to your professors, it's good to remember that they don't have to be super close to you. Professors all know as part of their careers that they are going to be asked for references and the best recommenders for you know enough about you to vouch for you as a student and who are caring enough to advocate for you that you should be given a chance to do what you care about doing, as far as they have seen it or as far as you have explained to them prior to them writing their recommendation. Professors also usually know better what to highlight about a student to a law school admissions committee, as opposed to an employer who may have experience in the legal field or higher education field (although there are always exceptions to the rule). If you're struggling with who is a good professor to ask, you can try and ask any upperclassmen or anyone in a pre-law group on professors that they have asked for recommendations before.

Essentially, admissions representatives are interested in getting to know you better. If you truly feel your employer will write you a solid recommendation, even despite the seasonal work issue, it could be best to ask him for one if it's going to be strong and appear legitimate. However, if you are not placing this seasonal experience in your resume and the recommendation is not going to be that strong, it's good to re-consider who your strongest recommenders may be, being ok with the idea that it may some catch-up chats with them so that they really know how to advocate for you in the best way.

Best of luck!

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:00 am

Thanks for the great reply! I'll be sure to take all of this into account during th upcoming application cycle

IWantToBeAFarmer

Bronze

Post by IWantToBeAFarmer » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:18 am

Abraham Lincoln Uni. wrote:Hi.

In terms of letter of recommendations, law schools would like to hear from an individual who knows you well and who can vouch for you as a student, individual, and member of society. Students usually select a professor or an employer. If it is from an employer, students should make it worthwhile---the work should be referenced in a resume/CV and should reflect how this employer has a worthwhile perspective on you - few weeks twice a year in a sales position may come off as weak for a person who really knows and can vouch for you, compared to someone who has supervised you for a summer or during the year doing work related to your passion in law. The question can come to mind to a committee - why hasn't this student found someone stronger to vouch for him or her? - and that would be what you want to avoid.

If you don't feel very close to your professors, it's good to remember that they don't have to be super close to you. Professors all know as part of their careers that they are going to be asked for references and the best recommenders for you know enough about you to vouch for you as a student and who are caring enough to advocate for you that you should be given a chance to do what you care about doing, as far as they have seen it or as far as you have explained to them prior to them writing their recommendation. Professors also usually know better what to highlight about a student to a law school admissions committee, as opposed to an employer who may have experience in the legal field or higher education field (although there are always exceptions to the rule). If you're struggling with who is a good professor to ask, you can try and ask any upperclassmen or anyone in a pre-law group on professors that they have asked for recommendations before.

Essentially, admissions representatives are interested in getting to know you better. If you truly feel your employer will write you a solid recommendation, even despite the seasonal work issue, it could be best to ask him for one if it's going to be strong and appear legitimate. However, if you are not placing this seasonal experience in your resume and the recommendation is not going to be that strong, it's good to re-consider who your strongest recommenders may be, being ok with the idea that it may some catch-up chats with them so that they really know how to advocate for you in the best way.

Best of luck!
Sry for the hi-jack, but quick question... Would you say it is better to get a LOR from a non academic, non supervisor who knows you, who is credible, and whom you have decent rapport w/, rather than a professor who is only aware of your test scores and writing ability in his class? Thx!

Abraham Lincoln Uni.

Bronze

Post by Abraham Lincoln Uni. » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:59 pm

In general, it is better to get a letter from someone who knows you and will vouch strongly for you. A professor who is going to write a generic and lukewarm letter, even if a professor, is an opportunity cost's difference away from someone who could instead left a positive impression about you and your passion to do law school.

However, if the law school is requiring an academic letter of recommendation, it's important to appear as strong as you can on the academic side - this means that it has to not look like you're avoiding or could only pull together something weak for it (presentation-wise, it's assumed that you're putting your best foot forward----so if it's weak, it's going to look like your best foot is weak and that does not reflect well).

My advice would be - think about all the professors that you at least have encountered, who you feel is positive about helping students and would take time to at least hear you go through once (be brief and well-organized) why you want to pursue law school. Treat them like people - most of them are decent enough to not hold it against you if you're shy or not super social, but they will expect you to take the time and the initiative if something is truly important to you. Even if you have a tough experience with one faculty member listening with you, think of it as good practice for how you're going to convince whole faculty committees (all of them strangers) that you've got to go to law school----if you're passionate about doing what you're doing, this small stuff is worth doing then because it will pay off later.

As long as the faculty member is willing to take you seriously and do a short chat with you or read an additional (brief and well-organized) letter from you for the letter of recommendation (and is not the type to blow it off or skimp on the letter), it's usually worth a strong try. You're already investing a lot into a life decision - so again, give it your best - a moment's embarrassment is a small price to pay, especially if you end up convincing a faculty member to write a more strongly positive recommendation for you.

You can always contact a law school's admissions department too and ask which letter might be given more weight or which they recommend in your situation but these are thoughts from someone who's gone through it before.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”