Is Teach for America a strong soft in 2015? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
stoopkid13

Bronze

Re: Is Teach for America a strong soft in 2015?

Post by stoopkid13 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:55 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
SufficientCondish wrote: But here is the truth. TFA is not a thing you can just "do to get into law school". It is impossibly challenging and takes over your life. You will not be able to study for the LSAT while also teaching 8 hours a day, lesson planning, grading, doing TFA PD and also having break time to recoup.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. I was teaching at a tough high school while studying for my June LSAT and it was entirely doable. It's certainly not comfortable, though.
Yea, you can definitely study for the LSAT while doing TFA -- you have paid summers off. Just spend June through August prepping for the October exam.
This is what I did although I suppose its getting to be late advice at this point. I was able to get some studying in at the beginning of the school year but not as much as I would have liked. I agree with some of the other posters that you should not count on studying for the LSAT while teaching--even in your second year you'll still be making serious adjustments. Also, and this varies by region, I still had a second year of M.Ed classes which were utterly useless but still took up a lot of time. I suppose trying to learn the LSAT while teaching is doable, but far from optimal.

I performed more or less as my numbers would have predicted but fwiw I know two other guys from my corps year that also applied to law school and both of them overperformed their numbers.

New

Post by 7777777 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:59 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
7777777 wrote:
John_Luther1989 wrote:TFA is starting to fall into "This is how my mission trip to [poor country] changed my life" territory. I think people are starting to view it for what it is: a 2-year deferral before law school or banking rather than some high minded program for people committed to education.
evidence?
There are definitely a lot of people who view TFA this way.
Duh - but really objecting more to "starting to fall" and "starting to view" bits.
Implication of question in thread seems to be TFA once was above average soft, but ... is it now?
Think what you will about the mission trip bit, but that line of thinking is not new.
Maybe saturation via multiple years of TFAers makes it less unique, but that cuts both ways.
There have always been people who really respect TFA, and others who say so what.
My question is more: do we have evidence that this has substantially changed in one direction?

Hat.trick

Bronze

Post by Hat.trick » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:20 pm

Yeah ive heard its a good soft. I wouldnt call it a "great" soft but its decent.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”