Lower chances for international or asian students? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rachelql

New

Lower chances for international or asian students?

Post by rachelql » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:37 am

Hi!

I was looking at tls stats for stanford and harvard and noticed most international students with high gpas and lsats were rejected (def higher percentage than domestic students)

a smaller profile might make it an unrepresentative sample...however, as an international/asian student I am naturally worried, especially that I do not have a 4.0 or 175+ (3.9+174)

I was just wondering if anyone had any insider or just info on this.

Thanks a lot

shump92

Bronze

Re: Lower chances for international or asian students?

Post by shump92 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:45 am

First I am just going to say that a blanket categorization is not true for any group. You have the chance to make a compelling case with your activities, work experience, rec letters, and multiple essays. Those factors can definitely outweigh your numbers, though the numbers obviously do help set the starting position for your softs to complement. That being said, I think that very good numbers for international students are given less favorability because there are so many brilliant international students who apply to school here and there are clear reasons for nationalist bias in admissions. Schools also have clear reasons for not wanting to put too much stock into "objective" standards that favor white and asian students. I don't think you need to worry about your numbers though because they are very good. Just be aware that there are many other students who have similar qualifications on those metrics. If your softs are all done well you should have good options.

Abraham Lincoln Uni.

Bronze

Post by Abraham Lincoln Uni. » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:17 pm

Hello There!

I hope all is well.

In regards to admissions, schools generally look at the application as a whole. This means that they will consider your GPA, LSAT scores, letters of recommendation, personal statement, and supplemental application. Simply because a student is an international student does not alone mean they do not have a high chance of being admitted to a university. Please keep in mind, it is important to apply to different schools with different rankings because each year the application cycle may be more competitive. You do not need a 4.0 to get into a good law school. Simply do your best to make your application strong and making yourself stand out as opposed to other applicants.

Best of luck!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:21 pm

[quote="Abraham Lincoln Uni."]Hello There!

I hope all is well.

In regards to admissions, schools generally look at the application as a whole. This means that they will consider your GPA, LSAT scores, letters of recommendation, personal statement, and supplemental application. Simply because a student is an international student does not alone mean they do not have a high chance of being admitted to a university. Please keep in mind, it is important to apply to different schools with different rankings because each year the application cycle may be more competitive. You do not need a 4.0 to get into a good law school. Simply do your best to make your application strong and making yourself stand out as opposed to other applicants.

Best of luck![/quote]
Last edited by 071816 on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:21 pm

Abraham Lincoln Uni. wrote:Hello There!

I hope all is well.

Best of luck!
This is the weirdest novelty account.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:50 pm

Abraham Lincoln Uni. wrote:Hello There!

I hope all is well.

Best of luck!
this isn't funny

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”