Resume Help Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jb00020

New

Resume Help

Post by jb00020 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:31 am

Hi all,

I'm brushing up my resume now to apply for law schools this cycle, and I was wondering if it was appropriate to lump up my volunteer gigs with my only paid job in one section. The paid job is office work and I've been doing it for the past few months. On the other hand, I've had a couple volunteer gigs helping kids with their homework throughout college.

Should I separate the work under two headings (Experience/ Community Service), or would it be better to list them together by date?

Thanks

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Resume Help

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:42 am

Yes, you can combine paid jobs and volunteer jobs in one section called Experience. Make sure the job titles clearly indicate which are volunteer gigs. (e.g. "Volunteer Reading Tutor" vs. "Assistant Nighttime Manager")

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:35 pm

I actually would separate, one for professional experience and one for community service/engagement. You may feel your job is more noteworthy and is different from community service in nature, and you said there are a couple of the latter. Either way is fine and unlikely to hurt you, though.

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:50 pm

ihenry wrote:I actually would separate, one for professional experience and one for community service/engagement. You may feel your job is more noteworthy and is different from community service in nature, and you said there are a couple of the latter. Either way is fine and unlikely to hurt you, though.
This is how I had my resume when I applied and throughout my first year. After I got more experience, I only kept the really significant community service and lumped it all into an "Experience" section. Both are acceptable formats; do what looks better to you.

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:53 pm

Has anyone hired a resume consultant? it seems like it would be worth the investment given how crucial resumes are in the hiring process. I literally have nothing to put on it other than a year in the army (enlisted) prior to UG. I held leadership positions in the training phases, but i'm not sure if I should put it bc then employers might ask "how did you get out after only a year?" it's a harmless reason and it was an honorable discharge.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”